Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New ski for me

canski27

I have decided to get out of my 2003 HO System 8 and I am pretty much set on a Strada. The only real question left is Strada or Vector boots. I seldom get into the course (just not a lot of them available where I live) but generally free ski at 36mph and 28 or 32 off.

Does anyone have a boot preference or recommendation for me?

I ski with the Vector boots and have really liked them. They are comfortable, easy to get on and give me good control of the ski. One nice thing about the Strada boot is that it will release with the liner coming out.

The Strada liner is made by Intuition. I got some custom Intuition liners for my ski boots last year and they have been amazing.

I've always liked the traditional double high wrap rubber bindings and have been running Wiley's for a few years now. They are tight at first but soon relax a little and are as comfy as slippers now. Still requires lube of some sort to get on.

I also ski at 36 and decided to get off my system 8 this year. I went with a Senate for the added surface area. I am plagued with lower back problems so i am hoping this will help some. I haven't tried it out yet so this theory is yet to be proven.

I have decided to get out of my 2003 HO System 8 and I am pretty much set on a Strada. The only real question left is Strada or Vector boots. I seldom get into the course (just not a lot of them available where I live) but generally free ski at 36mph and 28 or 32 off.

Does anyone have a boot preference or recommendation for me?

Can't help with the boot question.......I'm still on an older FX1 with stoker boots. Wizard, Coal, and Isle lake all have courses set up through out the summer if you know where to look for them. We are on isle lake but still rarely ski the course there. Edited by SkiZilla

I vote stradas but not from skiing experience. I have tried them on and they are very comforable, have not skied in them but currently ski in double wileys. I have skied in the vectors and they are comfy, but they just feel a little too loose once you've skied a few passes. You can't go wrong either way.

I own both. Either is comfy, and a good choice. If you ski in cold water, you may want to pony up the extra $ for the Stradas...due to the added warmth of the closed toe. Vector works best if your foot size falls in the middle of the boots size range. I have a size 8 foot w/ bony ankles, and find the Standard Vector to be a touch big. Love my 8 Strada.

You'll love the Strada ski. I have strada bindings also, its like skiing in a pair of merrells. Its the first binding that didnt cause my feet to go numb after a few passes. The ability to heat mold the lining for a custom fit is awesome.

Thanks for all the input crew. I have tracked down a 2012 Strada and I am going to pair that with some double Strada boots. Should be a sweet ride.

Skizila, we go to Wizard lots but the course belongs to a club and I don't think they like non members getting into it. Got to find a course!!

Thanks for all the input crew. I have tracked down a 2012 Strada and I am going to pair that with some double Strada boots. Should be a sweet ride.

Skizila, we go to Wizard lots but the course belongs to a club and I don't think they like non members getting into it. Got to find a course!!

We used to frequent Wizard as well.....got to busy, even after work on a week-night. The ski club looks like a good group I would track them down and ask about using the course if that's where you want to ski.

Coal is a strange lake...always fun and entertaining at the launch site. It can get greener than wizard and sits north south so a mild wind from the north (common around here) will mess up the entire lake fast. The course used to be set up about the midspan of the lake on the west side, just past a bend. Haven't been out to it in a few years and don't know who maintains it.....I have never seen anyone in it.

We built our cabin on Isle Lake a few years ago. Nice little quiet lake, last July long we had to share the lake with at least 4 or 5 other boats. Sits east west with lots of protected areas.... very few days when you can't find a spot to ski. It can get a bit green too (Isn't central Alberta great!) but I will trade a little water clarity of glass any day. Not sure who maintains the course......I'm on the water pretty much every weekend and have rarely seen anyone use it either. I have been meaning to track someone down and offer to help with it but haven't had any luck yet. Then again I only get the urge to try the course once or twice a year so the motivation has been limited.

Enjoy the new ski....I was looking at a Strada at the boat show on the weekend. Quickly came to the conclusion I will never ski at a level high enough to need a stick like that. Want is a different matter though.

Edited by SkiZilla