Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rock Guard.

Dare2goBare

Hi Crew.

Can the Crew give me a suggestion on what is a preferred rock guard to mount on either the boat trailer, or truck hitch that is best suited for maximum boat protection for those long hauls up to the lake? I had a look at the Bow Buddy and Rock Tamers on line. Links below.

http://www.trailer-rockguard.com/

http://www.rocktamers.com/

I'm wondering which one would be the better route to go for max protection of the boat and trailer, so I'm looking for input from the Crews experience with one or the other.

I also see there is a thread on our site but its posts date back to 2009 and I would like some current input.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24020-rock-guard/?hl=%2Brock+%2Bguard.

Thanks Crew!!!

We have the Bow Buddy system and tow to NE Washington from Tahoe every summer for the last seven years. Installed and have not had any issue for the last 6 years. Does the job, no repair and black/white hull is like new.

We have the Bow Buddy system and tow to NE Washington from Tahoe every summer for the last seven years. Installed and have not had any issue for the last 6 years. Does the job, no repair and black/white hull is like new.

Where in NE Washington do you go? What lake? Osoyoos? Banks Lake?

Edited by Cory

Thanks for the input guys;

The main stay for today is spending time with my 29 year old daughter looking for wake boards and

we’ll see home much time I have for the rock Guard.

We won’t be far from the Bow Buddy dealer, and Costco has the Rock Tamer for $259.99 Shipped to the house.

:thumbup:

I have had a rock tamer for three years, pull multiple times over a few mtn passes......great set up. I think they now also offer a center piece on top of the two "wheel" shields......

great set up, adjustable, tough, well built........

Don’t you just hate it when you phone a dealer, speak with a particular sales person regarding a product, in this case the Bow Buddy; yes we carry them. Then you drive and hour to the dealer and speak with a different sales person just to find out; “ Oh we haven’t carried this for over two years and are not going to bring any in, just on a custom order” ! Well I said if I’m going to spend this kind of money I would certainly like to see the product first.

Sound like the Consensus from most of your feedback and pictures is that the Rock Tamer is the way to go. Had another look on their web site, looks like a great product; so I’m going to order a set from Costco.

Thanks again crew for all your help in this matter. :thumbup:

Edited by Dare2goBare

I don't see them on Costco's website? Are they in the store?

Cory.

Their on Costco Canada’s web site. Below is the link.

http://www.costco.ca/ROCK-TAMERS%E2%84%A2-Mud-Flap-System.product.10367348.html?catalogId=11201&keyword=rock+tamer&langId=-24&storeId=10302

My dealer suggested a "grass skirt" which attaches to the hitch. I have used it for two full season where we have trailered a lot and there have been no issues or damage to my boat. The only catch is that my exhaust comes out the back not the side of my tow vehicle and that heat has melted some of the plastic strands. It looks a little ugly now but still works just fine.

Ordered the Rock Tamer yesterday from Costco. 7 to 10 day lead time.

When I get them I'll install and see how it all comes togeather, nice thing about Costco,

Easy to return policy.