Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater tube install pics in VLX/suggestions

Fman

Hey MA, here's how PCM says to do it with no Y Pipe. Of course with no pump, it works terribly, but with the pump it should be great. This also jibes with the heatercraft instructions Bill linked to.

you don't actually need to T into the raw water side at all.

PCMheaterconnection_zpsc136fe42.jpg

Thank you for this picture. I had finished the install the other day until I saw that I used the suction of the pump and the other end went to the Y into the 1 1/4 raw water intake line. I don't think that would have worked very well. I fixed it up today.

I'll let you guys know how it all works out. I bought that solar pump, wired it to the orange wire so that it only runs when the heater is on high. My return is to the Y adapter.

I talked to Heatercraft and they said if you don't have a pump to buy the Y connection to help with low idle heat. If you have a pump (3-4 gpm max) then hook it into the water pump. This way when you shut off the eng the heater will stay hot longer.

• Like 1

I changed my piping around a bit. I split the out of the heater after the pump one goes to the Y pipe and the other goes to the water pump. I used a garden hose Y with two valves so I can select either way. I'll report which is better.

I'm thinking at idle the Y pipe will be better, with the engine off using the water pump would be better since it bypasses the impeller and won't drain the block.

Edited by FastFreddy
  • 1 month later...

UPDATE

Well the Y I put in was pretty useless. The Y-pipe is no comparison to the little solar pump from eBay.

I was anchored (engine OFF) for about 40 minutes while the kids were swimming off the back and I decided to turn the heater on when they came in. Instant HEAT! The heater put out heat for about 5-10 minutes before I had to start the engine and make more hot water. I would definitely recommend this to others!

• 1 year later...

UPDATE 2. Second season with the little eBay solar pump. Still runs very quiet and helps the heater put out a ton of heat. as a bonus it helps me circulate antifreeze through the block when winterizing. Love it.