Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HDS repair underway!

Ok boys I am going to take the plung and fix this damn HDS box. The wife and I were out on the lake this past weekend, and we didn't do any boarding it was just her and I. We wanted to take the boat out since I had just replaced the shaft packing and wanted to get it adjusted right. So her and i figured it was a nice day we would head out for a nice day on the water. Well after about 2 hours of sitting there just hanging out the bilge pump came on, and I tought to my self... Weird... Well long story short got it home. Put the plugs in it filled the bilge and low and behold guess where water was comming from. Yep out the bottom of the boat around the prop shaft. So I tore into it tonight and this is what i uncovred.

IMG_20130305_172850_zps154c84ec.jpg

Looks like the last owner tried to repair it!!! And let me tell you I am not a happy camper!!!

IMG_20130305_172909_zpsbab6eb37.jpg

ya that is clear silly cone all over the place!!!

IMG_20130305_172938_zps0455fc18.jpg

IMG_20130305_172947_zps4d228dc6.jpg

oh ya and some JB Weld smeared all over too!!!!

IMG_20130305_183109_zps168b539a.jpg

I am guessing this isn't factory???

IMG_20130305_183138_zps81093b72.jpg

I spent a good hour and this is how far i got with a screw drive picking at the piece. Well anyway I will keep you all updated on the progress.

I will be doing the info from this site : http://www.everglass.org/shaftlog.htm

And any other help you guys have that would be great. My plan is too wait for this weekend and really get going on the project.

This should get interesting......

Your energy is getting me fired up for soon-to-be planned weekend work ;-)

Photos are superb too. Wish I could help you, assuredly others will. Great CREW

WakingMeHappy..... Question when you built your channel to go around the prop shaft what did you use for a mold?? I had thought about using a stryofoam mold and laying wax paper around it.

So that way I can get the exact shap i need... Just curious for those who have done it before what they used for a mold?? I also thought about taking the prop shaft out of the boat so i could get up inside the channel after i lay it down so i could glass inside of the channel also?? What do you guys think.... Here is a pic of my last project so I am hoping this should kick my butt....

DSC_0047.jpg

I sold it to get out on the water more...

How fast did that thing go? Wow ! Oh, good luck on the hds, I'm sure you'll make it perfect.

Steve B.

It went 8.07 @179 I sold it too purchase a house and then used the rest too purchase the boat.. I had that car for about 15 years it was tough to see her go but that is ok. Now i just throw money at the boat :rofl:

Edited by built2rev

OK, So i did some grinding tonight.. I dont think i ever wana see clear sillycone ever again!!! Or JB weld for that matter... I think my next step will be this weekend to start fiberglass the areas aournd the the inside of the box..

IMG_20130306_191507_zps3ec942da.jpg

IMG_20130306_191517_zpsd5cbec37.jpg

IMG_20130306_191531_zps828ba77a.jpg

IMG_20130306_191546_zps0e6a53cf.jpg

And here was the weapon of choice.. That and the shop vac hose I stuck in the box with me as i grinded all the JB weld out..

IMG_20130306_191730_zpsaea39b39.jpg

Hopefully this weekend I will start with the fiberglass work!! Wish me luck!!

WakingMeHappy..... Question when you built your channel to go around the prop shaft what did you use for a mold??

Didn't use a mold at all. Once I got the whole area cleaned out like you did I lined the hds interior with strips of fiberglass. Then I sealed the cover and screwed or back in place. So it's still a functional hds (for what good that does). That was 3 seasons ago.

you sure that you have cleaned up the silicone?

if you have left any residue that new glass isn't going to bond well.

any solvents touch silicone?

I am pretty sure i got it all... I will make sure before i start laying glass that it is all gone.. After a hour or so of the air compressor and shop vac runnig and fiberglass and epoy everywhere i was ready

to get inside and get cleaned up..

Thanks for the info.. I know i still have some sanding to ruff up the fiberglass before i lay anything down..

Didn't use a mold at all. Once I got the whole area cleaned out like you did I lined the hds interior with strips of fiberglass. Then I sealed the cover and screwed or back in place. So it's still a functional hds (for what good that does). That was 3 seasons ago.

That is what i am thinking about doing also.. Just refiberglassing the whole inside of the box and then the HDS will still work (for what ever that does). The only thing that scares me with the channel is that if for some reason the channel breaks free then i really have a huge leak in the boat.. Either way i guess we will see what the weekend holds.. I need to get this thing done. They are calling for MId 80's for next weekend!!!!

WakingMeHappy..... Question when you built your channel to go around the prop shaft what did you use for a mold?? I had thought about using a stryofoam mold and laying wax paper around it.

So that way I can get the exact shap i need... Just curious for those who have done it before what they used for a mold?? I also thought about taking the prop shaft out of the boat so i could get up inside the channel after i lay it down so i could glass inside of the channel also?? What do you guys think.... Here is a pic of my last project so I am hoping this should kick my butt....

DSC_0047.jpg

I sold it to get out on the water more...

Nice toy, I sold this to buy my boat. It was tons of fun but the boat is more family friendly.

DSC_0157.jpg

Timmy... yes you are 100 percent correct...the boat is most definitely family friendly. And now when it is 115 here in the Sumner it gives us something we all can do.

you sure that you have cleaned up the silicone?

if you have left any residue that new glass isn't going to bond well.

any solvents touch silicone?

Home Depot sells a bottle of silicone remover. I have one now waiting to be used on my tub surround before re siliconing. Hope to get all residue gone before re sealing. Have trouble with mildew returning in the silicone.

Ok so i got the box all fiberglassed this weekend... I hope today to fill the bilge with water and keep my fingers crossed the box stays dry!!!

IMG_20130310_145232_zpsaee9b838.jpg

I killed the blow dryer this weekend :( the wife wasnt happy morning...oops...

IMG_20130310_174536_zpsbfe7795c.jpg

IMG_20130310_174544_zps242aa8e8.jpg

I put 3 or 4 layers of new glass down. I hope it holds. I guess we will see this weekend since the temps are supposed to be in the mid to hight 80's

hydrophonic dampening system on dd's.

OK I googled that. I got back an older malibucrew thread (which was an amusing read), but it didn't say what it is still. Is it a sound dampening thing?

Here is something from Malibu when it came out on what it does??? Still confuses me!!!!

FibECS_zpscafbcf7e.jpg

the black box in this pic is what we have to reaseal

Hydro-Phonic20Dampening20System_zps0b55d

Here is something from Malibu when it came out on what it does??? Still confuses me!!!!

FibECS_zpscafbcf7e.jpg

the black box in this pic is what we have to reaseal

Hydro-Phonic20Dampening20System_zps0b55d

Thank you. So it looks like the intent is to fill the box with water to reduce vibration and engine noise?

Ya i would guess so!!! but with the problems of the liner comming free in the box makes you wonder is it really worth the vibration reduction??? I dont know, just hope i fixed there design :)

Thank you. So it looks like the intent is to fill the box with water to reduce vibration and engine noise?

ok so here is the best pic of all!!! DONE!!!! I guess with the highs in the lower 90's for the weekend I guess we will check to see if it leaks. Fingers crossed it don't. If so i guess I am still wakeboarding with a litte extra ballast :rofl:

IMG_20130314_180016_zps4a68ad35.jpg

• 6 years later...