Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat 10 hour break in period

JoeA

Here are some items listed in the 2012 Indmar Engine Manual. I am curious as to what you do and or don't do during the 10 hour break in period. No wakeboarding or surfing for the first 10 hours?

Break-in Tips
• Always let engine warm up to normal operating tem-
perature before accelerating.
• Avoid fast accelerations and don’t carry (or pull) a
heavy load during this period.
• If your boat is equipped with ballast tanks, do not use
them during the first 10 hours.
• Check engine and transmission fluid levels frequently.
During the first 50 to 100 hours, an engine can use
more oil than usual. Maintain oil at proper levels at all
times but do not overfill.
• Vary your boat speed during break-in. Do not run at
the same speed very long
• Observe gauge readings and check for loose mountings, fittings, nuts, bolts and clamps.
• Report abnormal operation, noises or vibrations to

your dealer.

Many opinions on this, fyi, malibu hammers on the engine before you even get the boat.

Personally, I def let it warm up to norm operat temp, vary speeds, light ballast at 6 hours, full ballast 8-10 and start towing peeps. Oil changed between 15-20 hours. Did this on my last two boats and they never burned oil and performed great. Always passed leakdown test upon sale to new owner.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1
MalibuNation

I'd follow their recommendations. I launched my brand new boat at 5am and ran it all day until 3 pm and got my 10 hours in ... got sun burnt too :-)

• Like 1

My family has had a lot of Malibu boats and we have always followed the manual for break in and knock on wood have never had major engine issues. I think it is debatable but I am curious how the dealers do it. Last year a new 2013 LSV23 came in with surfgate and we took it out for a demo loaded with ballast. I meant to ask them the question but forgot.

Here are some items listed in the 2012 Indmar Engine Manual. I am curious as to what you do and or don't do during the 10 hour break in period. No wakeboarding or surfing for the first 10 hours?

Break-in Tips
• Always let engine warm up to normal operating tem-
perature before accelerating.
• Avoid fast accelerations and don’t carry (or pull) a
heavy load during this period.
• If your boat is equipped with ballast tanks, do not use
them during the first 10 hours.
• Check engine and transmission fluid levels frequently.
During the first 50 to 100 hours, an engine can use
more oil than usual. Maintain oil at proper levels at all
times but do not overfill.
• Vary your boat speed during break-in. Do not run at
the same speed very long
• Observe gauge readings and check for loose mountings, fittings, nuts, bolts and clamps.
• Report abnormal operation, noises or vibrations to

your dealer.

I follow this except fast acceleration. I want my rings seated. I even do a few WOT, but not for long. It works for me, my boats haul afterwards and last.

I start pulling around 8-10.

Oil change at 20 and 50 and then every 50hrs. Save your receipts in case something does go wrong. No synthetic until after 100 hours if you like.

Now, if you are worried follow the book. It could be your dollar if you do have problems and didn't follow the recommendations in the manual.

on my 03 I stuck to the break in recommendations in the manual. 775 hrs later my boat runs still runs perfect. I don't think Indmar would take the time to print that stuff if they didn't mean it.

I'd follow their recommendations. I launched my brand new boat at 5am and ran it all day until 3 pm and got my 10 hours in ... got sun burnt too :-)

Have yet to break mine in. Thinking this what I'll be doing. Get out first in the morning and pound on the hours. Was tolled by my dealer, it would not be a problem to start sking after the first 5. Think I'll wait for the first 10, just don't want any issues to arrise. Then take to the dealer for a follow up and fluid change,

and then the fun begines. Time to makenup 12 years off the watef!!

IMO if the boat is rated for 14 people for example the brake in period could be made with that load. So after 3 o 5 hours you may tow riders just with ballast (no extra sacs).

How do you people think all those 7 ton cigarettes make the break in period? some of those boats have the same base engines than malibu.

So if they make the break in period on a 7 ton boat you can tow a rider on a 2 ton boat plus some ballast?

What do you people think?

Of course Malibu run the boat at WOT at the factory.

Luciano

If any of ya'll that have brand new boats need a driver/dude to "break in" your boats while you work, relax,or whatever, I AM YOUR MAN! I would LOVE to tool around all day in a brand new boat, even if its just driving around! :)

If any of ya'll that have brand new boats need a driver/dude to "break in" your boats while you work, relax,or whatever, I AM YOUR MAN! I would LOVE to tool around all day in a brand new boat, even if its just driving around! :)

You're too kind. :surprised:

I'm not sure there really is a right or wrong way. From PCM's manual (remember that indmar, pcm, mercruiser, etc., etc., all start with the same GM marine long block):

pcmbreakin.jpg

MalibuNation

Another thing to consider would the computer on the motor detect if you abused or didn't break it in right and thus void the warranty? Friend of mine with a bass boat and a Merc 200 beat the crap out of it during the break in period and afterwards and was refused warranty work from Merc. Please take your time!!

• Like 1

I'm not sure there really is a right or wrong way. From PCM's manual (remember that indmar, pcm, mercruiser, etc., etc., all start with the same GM marine long block):

pcmbreakin.jpg

For proper seating of the rings, this is a better method to follow.

Edited by Tims

All good information. It's going to be a long 10 hours.

Yes it is but just think, your in your new boat! And its all yours...

And the fun is just about to begin, what a thrill....

Just spoken to my dealer today and made arrangements to bring the boat

in to him in two weeks for PDI and then first water orientation. :) :) :)

Edited by Dare2goBare
  • 2 weeks later...

Different boat and engine, but last summer I was at The Boarding School with Murray. He picked up his brand new G23 from the factory in the morning and drove it straight to the lake. We were riding right out of the gate with the thing loaded down.

I drove mine at varying speeds last weekend. Didn't have much time so only 3 hours. I will get more hours sight seeing this weekend.

I did find a loose hose clamp on the exhaust. Water was shooting up like a fountain. LOL I tightened it up and went on with it.

I drove mine at varying speeds last weekend. Didn't have much time so only 3 hours. I will get more hours sight seeing this weekend.

I did find a loose hose clamp on the exhaust. Water was shooting up like a fountain. LOL I tightened it up and went on with it.

Bama.

I have all this yet a head of me, hope to have the boat back to the dealer within the next couple of weeks for PDI and then the 10 hour race begins. Just need some dryer weather up here. Been raining for like 4 months.

:woot: Don’t mean to high jack.

There probably isn't a dealer boat out there that goes through what is considered proper break in procedure.

I've been in a couple new dealer boats where they were loaded up and used right from hour 1!

But I've also heard loading up and wakeboarding isn't a bad break in. Really don't get to full throttle and you do very speeds while boarding assuming risers falls and you need to turn.

JoeA, after your 10 hours, if you don't check a single other thing check all 4 of the shaft coupling bolts! If your not familiar with where or what they are, they connect the prop shaft to the V drive. You should see 4x SS bolts, 4x 9/16 brass nuts and 4x SS lock washers holding the VD output shaft to the prop shaft. You may see some of them strewn about the bilge area. :) IIRC check every 100 hrs afterwards.

JoeA, after your 10 hours, if you don't check a single other thing check all 4 of the shaft coupling bolts! If your not familiar with where or what they are, they connect the prop shaft to the V drive. You should see 4x SS bolts, 4x 9/16 brass nuts and 4x SS lock washers holding the VD output shaft to the prop shaft. You may see some of them strewn about the bilge area. :) IIRC check every 100 hrs afterwards.

Thanks for the tip. Very much appreciated.

Most dealers offer a free 20 hr service, don't pass this up regardless... that oil change is very important, plus they should check over everything to make sure you are good to go!

I usually take mine in at 15 hours....