Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

5.3L or 6.2L tow vehicle?

timjame0719

I had a Silverado with a 5.3 and now have a Sierra with the 6.2. Towing i would never go back to the 5.3.

The torque and acceleration when I am going 65 and need to get around something is awesome.

The real challenge is finding one in a truck that is not a Denali and AWD. I did not want the Denali package, and I did not want AWD.

There are some, but tougher to find.

I get about the same mileage in this truck as i did in the one with the 5.3.

And I looked at diesels. I think for this size boat, the cost difference up front and the higher fuel cost it just didn't make sense for me.

• Like 1

I had a Silverado with a 5.3 and now have a Sierra with the 6.2. Towing i would never go back to the 5.3.

The torque and acceleration when I am going 65 and need to get around something is awesome.

The real challenge is finding one in a truck that is not a Denali and AWD. I did not want the Denali package, and I did not want AWD.

And I looked at diesels. I think for this size boat, the cost difference up front and the higher fuel cost it just didn't make sense for me.

100% agree but I went from the 5.3 to the 8.1 couldn't ever go back, no my gas mileage isn't anywhere near the same...lol

With all the diesel nuts out there sometime I wonder if I am alone in this reasoning. I fall in the camp that our wakeboats don't justify a diesel by themselves. (maybe a 247)

With all the diesel nuts out there sometime I wonder if I am alone in this reasoning. I fall in the camp that our wakeboats don't justify a diesel by themselves. (maybe a 247)

Not even a 247 justifies a diesel. It may be a good way to disguise one's inner want for a diesel though....

Edited by Bobby Light

Agree the "need" isn't there but if they want a diesel go for it, just means more gas for me.. :) My buddy laughs at my deplorable gas mileage, I laugh back mine is paid for and gas is cheaper.

Many people lose sight of the fact that towing a boat/camper/etc makes the truck slower. Many of them get a diesel for that extra towing power. Look at the amount of power current diesels are making. My parents had a '11 Duramax 3500 for thier 35' fifth wheel. I would say the diesel was needed for that load. But the power that thing made was incredible, I could never see needing that for any type of ski/board boat.

When I was recently looking at new trucks, talking to the owner of the dealership, he stated that many of the engines are actually rated for E95. Since GM is a worldwide company and they try to limit the amount of engines for all the countries and that most are tried a tuned in other countries prior to bringing them here. Some of the South American countries produce so much corn for ethanol that they are using E95 for fuel.

Robert

I bought a 2010 Chevy with the 6.2 and was amazed how much more power and better it towed my boat. A buddy of mine had a 2010 with a 5.3 that we compaired it to.

CB

• 9 months later...

Anyone on here towing with a 2500HD Chevy or GMG with the 6.0L? if so how she doing? I have a 2012 A22 and my 5.7L tahoe with lift struggles on the highway. Thinking about trading for a HD.

I drove the gas version before I got the diesel. I liked it. I liked it better than the ford 6.2 in the HD series. I ultimately got the diesel because I have a pretty heavy boat and a pretty heavy trailer so it works for us.

Also towing a heavy boat through the Penn mountains a diesel will pay for itself in being able to keep the pedal out of the floor and give you piece of mind.

As for the 5.3 to 6.2. No comparison. Even the new 5.3 is underpowered for towing in my opinion. I just don't think it is a good buy unless you tow 10-30 miles to the lake occasionally. I tow 1:45 and it would have been a good idea on my route.

Edited by UofMVLX
  • Like 2

Does anyone have first hand experience with the road ride quality of a Sierra/Silverado 1500 with and without the Z71 all-terrain/off-road package?

The lease on my 2011 F-150 FX4 4x4 Ecoboost is up in March, and I am deciding between the 2014 F-150 Platinum 4x4 Ecoboost and the 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 5.3L. I have read in reviews that the ride quality of the Sierra is better than the F-150, and then I have read conflicting info about the ride quality of a Z71-equipped vs one without.

i drove a 2014 silverado for about 400 miles last week. up to oil country to check out a man camp.

The electronics and instrumentation are really nice! Certainly better than my 2010 Yukon XL Denali.

Cab was nice and quiet. Evidently, they have reworked the doors, but I was getting wind noise going 80 mph into a 30 mph crosswind (go figure).

The door was make a little more noise than my denali would have. THe computer was showing 19-21 mpg going 80 on interstate (5.3 extended cab).

I drove the gas version before I got the diesel. I liked it. I liked it better than the ford 6.2 in the HD series. I ultimately got the diesel because I have a pretty heavy boat and a pretty heavy trailer so it works for us.

Also towing a heavy boat through the Penn mountains a diesel will pay for itself in being able to keep the pedal out of the floor and give you piece of mind.

As for the 5.3 to 6.2. No comparison. Even the new 5.3 is underpowered for towing in my opinion. I just don't think it is a good buy unless you tow 10-30 miles to the lake occasionally. I tow 1:45 and it would have been a good idea on my route.

I have a Buick Rainier with the 5.3. The Rainier is lighter (4000 #, and driving the speed limit, I can get 20 mpg, which i think is pretty dang good. Great engine for the smaller SUV, and can pull the LXI on flat ground, not so good in the hills. Not a race car pulling the boat, but can do the job. Again pulling either a skier or LXI. But if we are needing to tow it any where where there are hills, I use my Ford pick up with the 6.2. You can't replace displacement.

Edited by happypappy

Anyone on here towing with a 2500HD Chevy or GMG with the 6.0L? if so how she doing? I have a 2012 A22 and my 5.7L tahoe with lift struggles on the highway. Thinking about trading for a HD.

I've got a Yukon Denali with the 6.0. It does fine towing, flat ground is no problem. If you tow over steep mountain passes don't expect to hold 70mph though. I average 10mpg on our long trips (they always involve at least one mountain pass). I'm planning on trading it in on an ecoboost or tundra in the spring...

• Like 2

I've got a Yukon Denali with the 6.0. It does fine towing, flat ground is no problem. If you tow over steep mountain passes don't expect to hold 70mph though. I average 10mpg on our long trips (they always involve at least one mountain pass). I'm planning on trading it in on an ecoboost or tundra in the spring...

Thanks, that helps. We are flat ground here, and where I plan on towing would be pretty flat as well. I just need something that does better on the interstate. The Tahoe does fine around town, but if we plan a lake vacation it struggles the whole way and acts like it needs to downshift (even when not in O/D).

Thanks, that helps. We are flat ground here, and where I plan on towing would be pretty flat as well. I just need something that does better on the interstate. The Tahoe does fine around town, but if we plan a lake vacation it struggles the whole way and acts like it needs to downshift (even when not in O/D).

Flat freeways at 60-75 are no problem. Plenty of power and barely feel the boat (03 vlx). I can cruise at 65 in o/d and get 11-13 mpg.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the road ride quality of a Sierra/Silverado 1500 with and without the Z71 all-terrain/off-road package?

The lease on my 2011 F-150 FX4 4x4 Ecoboost is up in March, and I am deciding between the 2014 F-150 Platinum 4x4 Ecoboost and the 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 5.3L. I have read in reviews that the ride quality of the Sierra is better than the F-150, and then I have read conflicting info about the ride quality of a Z71-equipped vs one without.

Let me know if you want a discount.

I'm not sure about the new ones, but my old Avalanche has the Z71 package and rides better than any other truck I've been in (helps that it has coil springs in the rear).

That said, unless you are getting a killer discount on the '14 you would be nuts to get it, since '15 is the Ford redesign which will murder resale on the '14 (unless you are leasing then it may not impact you).

That said, unless you are getting a killer discount on the '14 you would be nuts to get it, since '15 is the Ford redesign which will murder resale on the '14 (unless you are leasing then it may not impact you).

Wonder what the rebates on the 13's & 14's will look like later on in the year then! I'm looking at 2011-2012 in the $29-32k range right now so I may should just hold off a little longer.

I'm not sure about the new ones, but my old Avalanche has the Z71 package and rides better than any other truck I've been in (helps that it has coil springs in the rear).That said, unless you are getting a killer discount on the '14 you would be nuts to get it, since '15 is the Ford redesign which will murder resale on the '14 (unless you are leasing then it may not impact you).

I do lease, and it is up in March. I wouldn't get the first year of a redesigned vehicle, anyway. I will consider it for my next lease in 2017. I do get employee pricing on either Ford or GM, btw.

Anyone ever towed with a 4.6L F150?

My wife & her sister used to tow a lightweight 18' 5th wheel camper with one. It only did ok. That trailer was probably 1000 lbs lighter than my boat.

-

Bill