Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I want a new winch post setup for echelon

chefred112

Hey all, I want to get suggestions on what and where i can get a more up to date type winch post setup for the boat.. the one in the pic is the old style type. The previous owner said he would always winch his boat up, i am use to driving my boat onto the trailer and on my i/o the winch post would stop the boat from moving forward and you would just lock it into place...I have also driven up skiboats that had the auto lock pin too. But the one i have, I have to sit there and have the driver power up and then hold into place while I put the security bar in place and hook it up. thanks guys for any advice..

IMG_3849.jpg

Have you tried contacting Zieman? http://www.zieman.com/

Seems like since they made the trailer, they may have run into this before.

Also seems like most any descent welder/fabricator could do it pretty easily too. And probably for a lot less money & no shipping.

Hope your power loading on ramps where your allowed to do it. We've had a couple of ramps get destroyed from it. And the state is typically not in any hurry to fix it either.

martinarcher

yea, it's out here in the delta and I've heard about not powering up but have yet to see any ramps disallow it...

If the ramp is long and concrete you're fine, on the other hand if the boat prop is sitting just in front of soft bottom, you're slowly killing the ramp.

yea, I know what your saying..years ago i went to a lake where the water had gotten real low and was surprised the ramp went that long...but i do remember when pulling out how much the water got muddy an murking when powering onto trailer so it must have been right near end of ramp..

There are lots of posts about "power loading" on a ramp. Unless the ramp is extremely steep, you should be able to winch the boat up. I've seen ramps wrecked from power loading. What's worse, it leaves a big hump of sand/rocks at the end, so eventually props are going to start chopping thru that and wrecking them unless someone digs out the hump. Remember - your boat will move a TON of water with that prop, not like the old I/O.

Back to the topic, seems like you should have a large bow roller or something for the nose to ride up when it is closer to the winch. Can you get a better pic? I will post a pic when I'm at my work computer...which of course has the thumb drive with my boat stuff on it. Otherwise it looks like a great trailer.

Thats called a Boat Buddy. Their kind of a love'em or hate'em kind of thing. I had one on a Prostar 205 & loved it. But a lot of guys will tell you what a POS they are. Basically if you load the boat & hit it too hard, their junk. Or if you drive around with it engaged & hit a big bump, their junk. Their pretty fragile. But if you use them like Kodiak tells you to, their great for getting out of the water quickly.

i would like it to be something like this where the bow eye stops at the winch posts and locks into place..

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

the basic concept is I want the eye to stop at the post, doesn't have to be with the boat buddy... the 1st time I was havin someone drive it up, it went past the slot so i knew then I wanted to change the setup. I want it to be the same as with my i/o...