Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Penalties CA DMV

lxirod

I'm looking at buying a used boat. Sorry not a Malibu , can't seem to find one ! Neither boat or trailer has been registered in 5 years. Owner is slow to respond with registration copies and I don't know how much info DMV can really give me without owning the boat. Dies anyone know if I am liable for these fees and if so is it going to be outrages ? Boat is 99 Nautique.

BTW if anyone knows of a response lx for sale in CA let me know. Interested in one as well. Must be EFI , PP and Bimini. That one in Texas posted in classifieds is perfect. Just not to keen on driving there. Or incurring shipping costs.

You will be held accountable for all past registration costs and late fees. You'll also probably get a hefty fee from the state for any past due "luxury tax" a.k.a. "property tax"

If this seller is slow to respond to you and hasn't had the boat registered in the last 5 yrs., I'd walk.

Other than that, if you can get at least the CF # and plate # of the trailer, you could call the DMV and ask them what you're looking at as far as paying the fees. They have a system where you call, they say they're busy and will call you back within an hr. or so and, they do. I've used it many times.

You will be held accountable for all past registration costs and late fees. You'll also probably get a hefty fee from the state for any past due "luxury tax" a.k.a. "property tax"

If this seller is slow to respond to you and hasn't had the boat registered in the last 5 yrs., I'd walk.

Other than that, if you can get at least the CF # and plate # of the trailer, you could call the DMV and ask them what you're looking at as far as paying the fees. They have a system where you call, they say they're busy and will call you back within an hr. or so and, they do. I've used it many times.

that's really good to know...I have an older i/o that I pretty much have ignored for years because it isn't working but i'm curious as to why I hadn't seen any registration or tax stuff in the mail..

I'm more concerned about the trailer. Isn't the boat only like. $10 a year ? Boa would be at $130 late fees ?

Don't forget that yearly luxury tax...that can add up to a ton of money. One of the many reasons I never want to move to the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

Luxury tax is about 1% year of the value of your boat. I paid $644 last year, its painful but part of the price to pay of living in cali.

Guess I can't complain, we can ski from April thru November. Its 68 degrees right now as I sit outside in shorts watching my sons LaCrosse practice.

I hope the taxes keep people away, we already have too many transplants coming to Cali! Its already crowded enough...

You can bypass that state tax by registering in AZ as a non resident. Registration is roughly $200, but cheaper than paying the luxury tax every year. Never has been an issue for me. If you buy it used out here an register it in AZ, there is also no sales tax.

Onlyinboards seems to be down, but I found this

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1997-Malibu-RESPONSE-LX-346687

Edited by wakebrdr94

Don't quote me on this, but the luxury tax will probably be gone by now. From what I recall, once your boat isn't worth enough the tax disappears. This recently happened to my '96 response. We got worried because we got the tax papers for our '03 but not our '96 so we called our county clerk who said the boat wasn't worth enough to have to pay on anymore. I'm guessing they just use a sliding scale of some sort.

Wow! Reading all of this really makes me appreciate where I live. It cost me $28 bucks a year to register my boat. I feel for you guys in Cali. Not bashing the state as I was born and raised there, but the tax situation seems to be getting crazy!

I cruise C/L looking at boats now and then and I'm not seeing much in the 90's models for sale right now. It seems like eighties models, or the guy with the newer boat who is probably overextended. Maybe it's the time of year. :dontknow:

Rod, why did you decide to sell the California Skier ?

Edit: I should say I cruise the more local C/L boat listings, nothing out of state, usually Bakersfield north.

Edited by LS-One

I sold the boat with the intention of buying a ZO equipped boat. However after some thought I decided not to finance a boat and just pay cash. I want a boat with EFI , higher free board , and that skiis closer to what I would get at a tournament. Looks like I will be buying the 1999 Nautique. Owner paid all the fees at DMV yesterday.

Good to see you back on the board Rod. How have things been going?

Glad to see the owner paid those fees, what was the cost total? Did he make sure to pay all the back luxury taxes as well?