Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

non-telescoping pylon mods

Liquidmx

Hey guys, I have a 2000 vlx wakesetter with a WELDED (yes I have checked to see if it can be unbolted) pylon that is non adjust. Typically I would go ahead and cut that thing below the v-drive compartment, but I am worried about possible towing issues. I have towed a few broken down boats before and the pylon seems like the strongest point to tow another boat from. Anyone have any ideas or performed a mod allowing them to still use this as a tow point but get ride of the annoying 18 inch pylon. I just dont like the idea of not being able to help out a fellow boater if need be, yet I know I will slam my knee into that thing a few times this summer if nothing is done.

Thanks,

Liquid,

I have the same boat and the same concerns as you.

My answer was to slip a golf club driver cover over it to keep people from hitting their heads on it during my hole shot.

Check out these.

Could put one of those pads like they put on tower arms or trailer posts that have Malibu written on it. I thought for sure my 01 was bolted onto the cross beam. And like other have said, the D rings will be stronger.

Sounds good, then I will tow from the d rings (and create a tow rope to bridge the two.) Time to get the grinder, that pylon is GONE!!!

Have you seen the size of those freaking things, I hate em. Plus I have all the welding equip to re-attach if need be. I plan on cutting the pylon below the motor cover, and in a clean manner, close to the weld. Provided someone wanted the pylon attached I would just weld it back. I guess I forgot to mention that I am a wrench head with a bunch of tools.

I was planning on yanking the seat back and doing things that way, but I have yet to look at how much that would entail? I would assume not too much since it is upholstered and they had to get it wrapped some way.

I am also planning on welding the upper corners ot the monster tower so there is no longer the side to side play with it. Maybe even run a bead along the connection points for the top tube rather than the inserts that they included with the tower. I dunno, just brainstorming since I am stuck in the office 60 hours a week til 4-15.

I was planning on yanking the seat back and doing things that way, but I have yet to look at how much that would entail? I would assume not too much since it is upholstered and they had to get it wrapped some way.

I am also planning on welding the upper corners ot the monster tower so there is no longer the side to side play with it. Maybe even run a bead along the connection points for the top tube rather than the inserts that they included with the tower. I dunno, just brainstorming since I am stuck in the office 60 hours a week til 4-15.

A wrench head who is also and accountant, NICE! :)

BTW, I agree with you, that fixed pylon is annoying. And yes, the D-ring in the back is the preferred towing attachment.

Stewart; Yes, I am hoping to sit for the CPA exam this summer (dreading the studying I will have to do though).

A funny thing happened the other day: I was auditing a machine shop and they sponsor a sprint car. They started talking shop and assumed it was greek to me; mentioned a 360 fuel injected chevy race engine and I quickly shot back about it being a 350 60 over and they were pretty stunned. Then we talked a while about the whole powerglide setup they were running (pretty common in mods and sprints, FWIW my uncle races one as well) and the "coupler" system, (no clutch or converter, just in or out) and the guy says "man I tell you that thing moves" and I responded with: "dude, its all balls". They were struck aback about some preppy looking auditor saying that. Then they found out I ride moto and wakeboard, long story short we got along quite well.