Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf board shopping.

Bawshogg

Looking for a new board this season. I am a fairly expierienced surfer and have had several boards.

I currently have a triple x slasher that I love. Also have an inland black pearl and have been happy with that. Looking for a replacement for the slasher as it took a pretty solid shot to the nose when I rammed into the back of my buddy's VLX with it end of last season( he had to chop the throttle and I was watching the wave and not the boat). I really like the speed of that board ,they are just not that durable. Everyone seems to be moving towards epoxy based boards which are inherently more durable. Not a bad thing, buts some are HEAVY!

Main issue I have is there are now so many boards to choose from it gets a bit overwhelming. I don't have the time to try and find all the differnt options out there and possibly demo 150 boards. Our season is short here. Boards are spendy and I want to stream line the process a bit if possible. Let me know what you are riding and thoughts in comparison to what have ridden. I lean more towards the surf style and like a nimble fast board .

Edited by Bobby Bright

Did you see the Soulcraft Fangail I had at the boat show? It's a demo 4'8". I also have a demo 4'10" Jetty Squash and a Soul Slider long board coming. Kind of bummed I didn't order the JS Pro. It's a 6 fin set up. Maybe you should order one from me and I can try it :) Here is what Jeff had to say about the JS Pro:

It has a deeper concave, center apex brought forward, and the 6 fin setup. So it is faster with stability, basically meant to be fast whether behind a terrible boat wave or a great boat wave. The 6 fin is a new concept but is catching on quick, it is there of added drive. I've never seen bigger airs from my rider Jimmi than when we switched to the 6 fin setup. It also come's in a parabolic so that the guys doing the big airs wont break the boards.

I haven't had a chance to get out on them, but they're supposed to be the best. Best boards help improve everyones surfing! I have a slasher, too. Love it. I slightly prefer my handmade in California Flyboy (not Inland's China version). Funny how James Walker rides a custom hand built 'flyboy' as opposed to his mass produced Inland Surfer Flyboy made in China. Supposed to have the same design, tho :) ?

Back on track, if you or anybody is interested in a Soulcraft, hit me up! What boat are you going to get?

Edited by skurfer

skurfer,

James Walker, as well as Jimmi Sparling are never on production boards. They are always riding new prototypes. Thats how boards get better. Look at the proto james was riding last year and then look at the production board this year, very similar. James rides a new shape every couple weeks so that they can tweak the production board for the next year. Jimmi tested boards all last year and now his board is finally out for sale.

I'm stoked that boards arent rushed. It means that people are buying boards that are dialed.

Bobby Bright, to help point you towards a board, what do you like about the slasher and what do you want to change? Also, what are your wakesurfing goals this year?

I have riden alot of boards. Some insanely exspensive and some not so exspensive. I really liked the price point vs. performance of the slasher. It was very nimble, fast down the line, easy to recover on and fairly easy to break free for spins and such.

The down fall of that board is it is very fragile with the basic resin construction. The center looks like a golf ball with all the heel bumps from two seasons of riding.

I don't have any real goals, I just love being behind the boat. I guess if I had a goal or desire for another board it may be to make it easier to ride out of three's ...... May be more rider technique than board, but that would be nice. honestly out of everything I have ridden I was very comfortable on the Slasher. Not too buoyant and ride about where I liked it. Had good drive in just a twin setup also. A little too locked in in the triple setup. I just don't wanna spend another 400 on a fragile board. I would, but there are alot more options out there.

Skurf. I did see the Soulcrafts you had. Have not tried them yet, but would be up for it. I would like to get a replacement before July, as you know we don't move into summer here, it just shows up one day between rain storms.

Boat thing is in the works. Should have some ideas here in the next week , two at the latest. All I can say at this point is whatever I end up with will be BIG. I definitely have found some great deals in my hunt though. Shocked actually.

We should try and put together some sort of demo action around here if possible. I think between all the folks we know combined it could be something pretty good......weather permitting:)

Man I'm in on this conversation.... I am in Exactly the same position as bobby. I ride a slasher 5.0. And I'm looking for something more durable and something that might air a little better. I would also like to ride out of spins easier.

Edited by Ruffdog

Wakemitch, don't kid yourself. I would rather buy a flyboy made by Jeff Walker than by Inland...

Booby, demo day sounds great. Starting to get busy. Just have to make it happen. We should have a V226 in a week or two. Pass your sloppy second deals to me.

Edited by skurfer

Besides the compression molded boards like the lower end Hyperlite, CWB, and LF boards, all other wakesurf boards are going to be relatively more fragile. They will all get heel dents for sure.

Inland Surfer is the most durable of the higher end wakesurf boards due to their construction. Most of their models are geared toward beginner-intermediate riders, but the Flyboy and new Keanan Surf are great advanced boards for people working on air tricks.

The Sweet Spot from Inland Surfer good be a good next step from the Slasher if youre looking for durability.

The 2013 Shred Stixx line up is 2nd behind Inland Surfer in terms of durability. Their boards are glassed a bit more for 2013 making them a little sturdier. they are a little heavier, but still lighter than the Inland Surfers. If you are looking for more advanced riding, the Shred Stixxs are awesome. The Ringer would be a good board for you. It has a flatter rocker similar to a Soulcraft and Walker Project for more down the line speed. It is stable, but responsive and spins well for a surf style. I still prefer the Headband because I like more rocker because they are better for harder carves and airs in my opinion (less down the line speed/more pumping)

The Soulcraft line up is super dialed for this year. Yes they are fragile, but they are great shapes that have proven to be popular. When I bring Soucrafts into my shop I like to get them glassed a little heavier so they dont heel dent quite as bad. Most people dont notice the weight difference anyways while riding. If you want your board stronger, Jeff can work with you. Thats whats awesome about custom US boards. The Jetty Squash tail would be good for you. They spin well, pop well, and have great down the line speed. Its a very easy to ride performance board.

The Walker Project F18 would also be a good board for you. It has a pretty flat rocker so it is quick down the line and doesnt require pumping. And the twin fin lets it spin easily. Again, its an easy board to get comfortable on quick. If you want more response, get the Bomb Pop. These boards are fragile, but have a great feel on the water.

I recommend these boards based on you wanting down the line speed and wanting to spin.

If you wanted to work on airs and ride mroe aggressively I would recommend the Mendonesia Half Moon, Soulcraft Jimmi Sparling Pro, Shred Stixx Airstream or Shred Stixx Headband. The boards require more pumping, but they have a ton of drive and air great for airs.

Skurfer, everyonce in a while Jeff sells James' used prototypes. It's rare, but CMS sold 3 in 2012. Each ended up going for over $1000 within 10 minutes of going online. crazy.

I had a Walker that I rode for two years. It was a cross between a f-18 and bullet model. I liked it ok before riding the slasher. The Walker felt like a tank in comparison. Rode very high in the water. I sold that board after I got the slasher because I never rode it any more and it gave me 14 stitches above my left eye.

I understand what you mean about most boards being fragile, but when you compare a triple x board to most anything else it's like riding an eggshell that has been clear coated. They are VERY FRAGILE. I could always go back to the 04' CWB Ride huh?

Thanks for the advise. I think I will look into the Soulcraft stuff for the moment. I know a guy that sells that stuff.....

Skurfer and I have already talked and I will be wanting to demo some the soulcraft boards as well this spring. It might be my imagination but my slasher feels much heavier than it used to. I think water is intruding into the core.

Just Skurfer that I know of. He has a pre-owned boat dealership and is soon to be taking on Supreme as a new boat line. I don't know if he is a dealer, but he has a few boards to try out.

Skurfer and I have already talked and I will be wanting to demo some the soulcraft boards as well this spring. It might be my imagination but my slasher feels much heavier than it used to. I think water is intruding into the core.

Most likely yes. I know mine is heavier because of the holes in the rear and now in the front. Time to move on I think.

Just Skurfer that I know of. He has a pre-owned boat dealership and is soon to be taking on Supreme as a new boat line. I don't know if he is a dealer, but he has a few boards to try out.

And I am glad for it. I am tired of buying boards only to resell them because I don't like them. Listening to other peoples opinions doesn't really work that well, just to many variables. Time to start demoing boards.

If you like the Slasher, why not try the Slayer? It uses an epoxy construction so it should be much more durable. I think for the price, TripleX has some of the best boards around. -Marc

If you like the Slasher, why not try the Slayer? It uses an epoxy construction so it should be much more durable. I think for the price, TripleX has some of the best boards around. -Marc

I want to. But like I said I am to the point where I need to demo a board before buying.

Ruffdog,

Sorry, I meant that suggestion to be for Bobby Bright. Totally agree with your opinion on demos. I tend to buy and sell a lot of equipment for the very same reason and it does get old. I have often thought about trying to run an online demo store. Basically send stuff out for a week or two and let people really use the equipment before they go out and buy. Golf is another sport that would benefit from this. One man's perfect club is another person's disaster waiting to happen. -Marc

• 1 month later...

I'm in the market for a wakesurfer this summer, something to ride on the weekends in between wakeboarding, when the water is busted. I'm looking at some of the skim style boards, has anyone ridden the 2013 Ronix One or some of the Liquid Force skim boards? I've been riding on an older Hyperlite board that is pretty sluggish and doesn't seem like a board I can get much more out of. I can do 180's and carve pretty well and am looking for recommendations on a board that will spin pretty easy but something that at some point start getting airs.

I just picked up an IS sweet spot pro. Rode a buddy's at the end of last season and REALLY like it. Pretty fast, fairly light, plenty of buoyancy for my 220 lbs, turned up nose helps submarining, etc. It is damn expensive, but I think it's gonna suit me just fine. Just wish it was more in the XXX price range.

Since you live in the PNW, I highly encourage you to try and demo a Day1 board. These guys are making awesome boards, and they're making them (by hand) right here in the PNW (and some in California.)

We have a 2012 Skitzo, and it's amazing. Can't wait to ride it this summer, only demo'd it late last Fall. Fast, light, and super responsive. These guys have a whole slew of products in the hopper too. Good, good stuff!

http://liveday1.com/

Edited by rennis

Since you live in the PNW, I highly encourage you to try and demo a Day1 board. These guys are making awesome boards, and they're making them (by hand) right here in the PNW (and some in California.)

We have a 2012 Skitzo, and it's amazing. Can't wait to ride it this summer, only demo'd it late last Fall. Fast, light, and super responsive. These guys have a whole slew of products in the hopper too. Good, good stuff!

http://liveday1.com/

Rennis hey I can't find a single pic of their boards anywhere. Got any links?

I found these guys last year at the NWWSA event up near Seattle. Me and a few other guys tried to put together a demo sesh a few times, but could never make it work. I looked at the boards quite a bit and "look" like they should pretty good. Looks can sometimes be decieving and they were asking good coin for the models they had at the time, which I think were the initial protos.

If one of these shaper/builders could put forth some sort of easy demo plan, it sure would make it easier for us stick snobs to justify spending 800+ bucks on a board. I am just to leary to spend that kind of cash after doing it a few times and not being satisfied.

I hear that, and agree. I did talk to them about those issues and they are in the final steps of putting out a fully re-designed website, (in two weeks or so) and are working with two local dealers to set up distribution and demos. They've been demo'ing their 2013 product themselves a bunch and it looks really promising.

In the meantime, they are happy to field calls and set up private demos as well. I bought one of those prototype boards you're talking about last year, and I'm stoked for it. Doesn't mean you'd feel the same, but it rides really nicely for me.

For more pictures, you can look Day1Wake up on Facebook. I also have their "sales" phone number, and can share that with anyone who would PM me. I am reticent to post it here for obvious reasons, it's not a 800 number yet, etc.

(I'm not associated with these guys in anyway, but they're cool, making boards locally, had us out on their personal boat for a demo last Fall, etc. so I try to support them)