Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perko switch

I installed my switch per the instructions but it is not working. I have 12 volts at the input but when I turn the switch to select that input there is no voltage on the output? I am thinking the switch might be bad but I don't see how? I do not have the second battery yet. Will it only work if the second battery is there? That doesn't make sense though?

Sounds like its just not wired correctly. What model switch do you have exactly, as "Perko" is a brand not a model or type?

If its a traditional OFF/1/2/BOTH switch, then the cable(s) coming from the battery(s) will connect to the "1" post and "2" post if you had the 2nd battery installed. Your main starter cable, helm BUSS and any other B+ cables, except the auto bilge, will be connected to the "C" (common) post of the switch. When the switch is OFF, no power to the starter or anything else. When the switch is turned to "1", all loads will be powered from battery 1. Likewise with battery 2 once its installed.

Sounds like its just not wired correctly. What model switch do you have exactly, as "Perko" is a brand not a model or type?

If its a traditional OFF/1/2/BOTH switch, then the cable(s) coming from the battery(s) will connect to the "1" post and "2" post if you had the 2nd battery installed. Your main starter cable, helm BUSS and any other B+ cables, except the auto bilge, will be connected to the "C" (common) post of the switch. When the switch is OFF, no power to the starter or anything else. When the switch is turned to "1", all loads will be powered from battery 1. Likewise with battery 2 once its installed.

It is wired correctly, I checked & double checked & everything works fine if I by pass the switch. The switch is the traditional off / 1 / 2. No both. Battery is connected to input 1, everything else is hooked up to common. At this point it has to be the switch cause I get 12v at the input stud but nothing at the output stud. I am gonna take the switch apart.,...

No, no negative. It was the switch, I took it apart last night, the switch was not engaging the mechanism that makes the copper plates connect. All is good. Although worried if that happens while out on the boat? I did drop the switch on the floor Fri night so I may have caused the problem.

Wow. Unless it was a huge drop, I doubt that did it. Normally those switches are tough as nails and failproof. Maybe it was a late friday afternoon batch.

Steve B.

I am gonna have to agree on the late Fri afternoon batch. Seems to be working fine now, got everything hooked up, switches between batteries just fine, feels stable & sturdy.

• Like 1