Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wrong heads on 98 sportster

Awhile back I had made a post about my 98 sportster not being able to rev over 4400 rpm and that it fell flat at high rpms. Well as it turns out the previous owner had put the older 260 hp heads on, and kept the original vortec heads. The manifolds also seem to be different as they are not the original malibu manifolds. I am very pissed!!! My question to all is, does anyone know where I can find some used vortec heads and valve covers that will make my engine factory again? Any feedback on this issue would be great.

Seems to me someone asked if it was a newer Vortec engine. What a bum the seller is. If you can find those heads, I bet they are at least $600 to $700 a piece. DIM is worth a try, they sell GT 40 heads.

There are some reasonably priced ones on ebay that might fit, or try your local engine rebuild shop. They are sure to have some. older cast iron ones like that are not too bad. If you want aluminum ones though you will have to spend a bit more.

The Vortec heads had a valve guide problem (trust me I know). You can get a pretty good deal through your local Chevy Dealer. I think I saw them last for around $275.00 ea, and that was for the complete head!

I found this, but I know I've seen them cheaper. Not bad for $300ea

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Complete-C...060-P752C0.aspx

Edited by Captain Blood

Thanks for the help so far everyone. The boat was advertised as is with a blown engine, The reason I purchased it was for the price and that I thought it would have had at least the original engine to work with. But, I guess I learned my lesson!

I may have one good casting, can't remember if I saved it or not. I know I have all of the original valvetrain from both heads (valves, springs, lifters, pushrods, cam) from a 325 monsoon w/ 200 hrs. Doubt this helps you much unless you buy a used set of castings. Whatever you get, make sure they're marinized (hardened valve seats and SS valves).

I have been shopping and a set of used Vortec heads go for about $350 on ebay.

Here are some good used ones: 4621236501

New they are about $700: 8044376995

I may have one good casting, can't remember if I saved it or not. I know I have all of the original valvetrain from both heads (valves, springs, lifters, pushrods, cam) from a 325 monsoon w/ 200 hrs. Doubt this helps you much unless you buy a used set of castings. Whatever you get, make sure they're marinized (hardened valve seats and SS valves).

it may help. please get back to me and varify what you all have. any pics? A price? Also, do you have the factory valve covers?

it may help. please get back to me and varify what you all have. any pics? A price? Also, do you have the factory valve covers?

I searched my garage and couldn't come up w/a casting. It might be in my attic but I doubt it because I found all of the internals and wouldn't have stripped a good head. When I get a chance I'll climb up there and look and if I find something I'll contact you. So, I basically have all of the internals - crank, pistons, cam, timing, lifters, pushrods, springs, rockers, valves, keepers, etc. If you have any interest let me know and I'll get you pics and figure out a price. Are you wanting the poly valve covers like came on the monsoon 325? Those are actually not vortec covers, but from Chevy LT1 engines. Indmar must have liked them and used them instead of the stamped steel ones. Yes, I do have a pair, but they go on an LT1 I have sitting in the corner. So for now I'd prefer not to part with them, but I have had them sitting around for quite a while. Your intake/exhaust manifolds are indmar specific too, and not a Chevy item. A malibu dealer can get you those though.

I assume you've tracked down the casting number on your head and know for sure they are the wrong ones? If you've got some numbers I can search them for you.

I searched my garage and couldn't come up w/a casting. It might be in my attic but I doubt it because I found all of the internals and wouldn't have stripped a good head. When I get a chance I'll climb up there and look and if I find something I'll contact you. So, I basically have all of the internals - crank, pistons, cam, timing, lifters, pushrods, springs, rockers, valves, keepers, etc. If you have any interest let me know and I'll get you pics and figure out a price. Are you wanting the poly valve covers like came on the monsoon 325? Those are actually not vortec covers, but from Chevy LT1 engines. Indmar must have liked them and used them instead of the stamped steel ones. Yes, I do have a pair, but they go on an LT1 I have sitting in the corner. So for now I'd prefer not to part with them, but I have had them sitting around for quite a while. Your intake/exhaust manifolds are indmar specific too, and not a Chevy item. A malibu dealer can get you those though.

I assume you've tracked down the casting number on your head and know for sure they are the wrong ones? If you've got some numbers I can search them for you.

Well I certainly appreciate your help and interest, as to everyone who has posted, I will do some checking this weekend as to what I will all need and varify the numbers on the head, I'll take some pics myself so you can see for yourself what I am dealing with. Still interested in your parts, and think about what you want for the covers if you decide to part with them. Thanks