Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MXZ 24 or G23 Purchase

aoblak

Well I didn't expect to be having this conversation but I'm currently trying to decided what boat that I plan to order between a MXZ 24 or a G23.

Back in August I had the opportunity to spend 2 days on a G23 and had given my local dealer all the specs and colors of the boat that we planned to order. I found out recently that I didn't order a boat so we started to look again and have narrowed the decision between the two boats. I have owned a total of 6 Malibu’s and currently own a Nautique.

Please provide me with any information that you feel will help in Making this decision. I have not had the opportunity to drive or seen the wake of the 24.

I don’t want to turn this into a Manufacture battle just looking for the pros and cons

I have only seen the MXZ at the boat show and i thought it was nice, but i think the G23 is really the boat to beat.

I will say the MXZ is a prettier boat, with better lines, but the Nautique is just so beautifully thought out. i feel like they hired a car ergonomics designer for the interior of that boat and the rest of the companies are still asking their friends husbands,and wives what it's missing.

My new questions would be if you surf can you demo a G with the new NSS?

• Like 1

Looks: I am not shy about saying that I believe the G23 is one of the ugliest boats on the water (well, it and the Moobma Mojo). G23 looks like a bloated pig. MXZ wins

Quality: both are well built. tie

comfort: MXZ is more comfortable to me, MXZ wins

performance: both will perform well. I read that the G23 uses 15gph of gas. that is a gas guzzler IMO.

other items: I think the crew here is a much more down to earth group of folks than PN. Need to look at which dealer you have a better relationship with. I have not been to nautique factory, but the folks at Malibu factory are a great group of people and Jack Springer is a great guy that is very down to earth as well. towing? space issues? price difference?

IMO, the MXZ wins for me.

I just went through this decision 2 weeks ago. But I was deciding between a 23 lsv and a g23. Before we give you any more advice what sports do you prefer, do you like to surf, or is wakeboarding your primary sport??

The MXZ 24 has more interior seating space and is about $20k cheaper with similar options. I also found the MXZ interior to be more plush and comfortable, not that the G23 interior was bad in any way.

The G23 has huge amounts of storage with all that extra freeboard height, and can fit 2850lbs of internal ballast. Of course that comes at the price of looks which are subjective.

The G23 makes a monster wakeboarding wake that blows away everything else produced to date for factory wake. I'm not good enough to take advantage of a wake that size, so if I were just looking for more room I would save the $20k and lean towards the MXZ. If you're a really good rider then maybe the wake will be worth it to you.

The G23 will ride better in rough water due to the deep V hull and extra weight, it will also burn more gas. I have heard stories of 15+ GPH fuel usage from those that have ridden behind it.

Edited by Brett B

We primarily surf and I spent 2 solid weeks trying to find someone who could show me a solid surf wake out of the g23, and no one could. All of nautique promo videos are all of the 230 with the NSS and not the G. At the end of the day I went with the Malibu because of its proven wakes!! That being said if it surfed great I would have bought the G!!

A co-worker of my wife has a new G23. To me, it is in a different class than the Malibu when comparing fit and finish, storage, interior layout, and wake size. With stock ballast you get a massive and clean wakeboard wake that visually appears to be much bigger than the MXZ.

If you value handling and fuel efficiency more than wake size, then the Malibu is probably a better choice.

Great problem you have!!!!

That sounds weird. I would factor in the dealer relationship heavily. I am not sure of the circumstances of how you thought that you ordered one but didn't. If I thought it was squarely the dealer's fault, then it would be tough to forgive. Finding out on March 1st that you do not have a boat in the pipeline really bites!

This is a great problem to have. Post pics when you get your new baby, and what swayed you one way or the other. Only a few of us will make fun of you if you end up with the G23. :biggrin:

Well I didn't expect to be having this conversation ... I found out recently that I didn't order a boat so we started to look again and have narrowed the decision between the two boats.

• Like 2

Are you considering the 23 LSV as well? It has pretty comparable seating space to those two boats, and is not nearly as HUGE.

That said if you are set on the 24 MXZ or the G23, it is a hard choice! I could have gotten either and opted for an LSV.

Good problem to have choosing between those 2.

If you are on the fence... The dealer would without a doubt be the tie breaker. Which has te best reputation, best service dept, and best energy?

If the $25k difference is doable and not an issue for you, and all things being equal... I think the G23 is hard to pass up.

The G's wake is massive, I saw this boat in action at the pro stop in Ohio. Can't comment on the bu but I'm sure you would be happy with either choice!

I too have narrowed it down to these two boats. I see three issues. one no one has provided fuel consumption rates of the MXZ. Two no one has proven the MXZ throws a great surf wake. Three the G unquestionably has the number 1 stock wakeboard wake unfortunatly with no proof of NSS performance. And lastly on a side note, I can't see much of a handling difference given the size of these two boats. Best recommendation demo them both back to back and make a decision from there. From my personal experience, This is easier said than done the MXZ and NSS equipped boats are difficult to come by. Good luck and let us know how it turns out

My local dealer sells both Malibu and Nautique. They told me the nautiques are put together and the little details are all there ( also said malibu is getting better). I am a big fan of the ajustable rear facing seats on the nautique.

The NSS vs the Surf gate only time will tell wich is better and it will probably be a personal prefference thing

jm2c

The Nautiques are more expensive but I do think you get an overall better quality boat with a nicer feature set. Is it worth the $$ delta - something each buyer needs to figure out on their own. The MXV's are certainly a step in the right direction for Malibu from a quality/design perspective but still not nearly as solid looking/feeling as the Nautiques (personal view). I've got a G25 on order after having owned a 2011 24LSV. Will be able to give better tangible feedback after a few months of ownership of the G (arrives in April).

I've never been on the water in a Nautique, but have walked around enough of them to know I'm not interested. From the ugly tower, uncomfortable seating, stick on fake teak everywhere (which looks really tacky in person), weird dash designs - just can't get my head around how people love these things. And I don't even mind the look of the G23/25...it's not a great looking boat but I don't mind it.

I will have the opportunity to be in the Malibu later this week and I can tell everyone that I have had more warranty issues with my 230 then I have had with all my Malibu's

I had the opportunity to drive 2 MXZ 24's last week and a G23. The MXZ drives and handles like a direct drive the G23 handles like a barge.

Stock wake to stock wake the G23 is bigger but I would expect it to be bigger because it has double the ballast.

Well I place the order for my new boat on Saturday and we decided to order a 2013 MXZ 24

• Like 2