Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

centurion

A-hole

not my style of craft-but,everyone says they have the largest/best surf wake!I'm sure all manufacturers have bought 1 & checked it out. Why cant they re-produce it?why is it so good?

Ying VS. Yang

I believe that surf wakes are VERY subjective...I know that my V-drive throws out a Surf Wake that I LOVE....and most people would agree....

But not everyone that surfs my boat likes it...some like to go faster or slower than I have dialed it in at....and while my boat can surf either side and even both sides at once.....it most definitely is better on the starboard side...

That said, most boats have a better side to surf on and depending whether the surfer is regular or goofy would make a certain boat better or worse based on that style matching up with the boat's characteristics...thus making it VERY subjective...

Also, I do believe that I read somewhere (can't remember where just now, however) that the depth of the water also something to do with the size and shape of the wakes....if that is in fact a true statement and or variable....then the results will be very different for everyone....

And I am not too sure that boat manufactures really would buy another brand boat just to check it out...to me it just seems too easy to borrow one and take some measurements

just sayin`

Edited by JB-FOOT
  • Like 1

Ying VS. Yang

I believe that surf wakes are VERY subjective...I know that my V-drive throws out a Surf Wake that I LOVE....and most people would agree....

But not everyone that surfs my boat likes it...some like to go faster or slower than I have dialed it in at....and while my boat can surf either side and even both sides at once.....it most definitely is better on the starboard side...

That said, most boats have a better side to surf on and depending whether the surfer is regular or goofy would make a certain boat better or worse based on that style matching up with the boat's characteristics...thus making it VERY subjective...

Also, I do believe that I read somewhere (can't remember where just now, however) that the depth of the water also something to do with the size and shape of the wakes....if that is in fact a true statement and or variable....then the results will be very different for everyone....

And I am not too sure that boat manufactures really would buy another brand boat just to check it out...to me it just seems too easy to borrow one and take some measurements

just sayin`

I agree. Surf waves are very subjective. The proof is in the pudding.....Two guys with the same boats will argue over how to weight the boat.

• Like 1

I'm not going to agree or disagree with you what I will say is this. Most company's have a great boat for what ever you want to do. For me what separates Malibu from the rest is take for instants the VLX with a diamond hull. Surf wake is great Wakeboarding is great skiing is fine not pro but someone like me can have a great time. I'm sold on Malibu may not have the best of one but I can have a lot of fun doing them all. To me I get more for my $ and looking good is just a bonus.

I think Centurion has done an excelent job of marketting and positioning themselves as the "premier" surf boat. They embraced the sport early on , when nobody would and make some very wise choices. I do belive they produce a great wave, but it is in no sense the "holy grail" of wake surf waves.

What they did right was embrace the sport and sponsored all the early events, pulled all the World Champsionships and put up and coming prospects behind thier boats. This drove competitors of these events to want to own the boats that they would be competeing behind only to give themselves the advanatage of practicing behind these same boats. The name is now synonymous with the sport.

I recently was contemplating one because of this reputation. I just couldn't get over the lack luster finishings, lack of storage, lack of freeboard, and horrible dash layout . Coming from the Malibus I have owned it made it VERY tough to fall in love with Enzo. Only thing I could think of was it's kinda like driving a BMW for years only to decide that you would rather drive an 87' Chevy Cavalier because the tires would last longer. Still does all the same things as the BMW, but just has that one fortay that was a smidge better .....Didn't make sense, especially when the Cavalier was $100k boat.

• Like 4

not my style of craft-but,everyone says they have the largest/best surf wake!I'm sure all manufacturers have bought 1 & checked it out. Why cant they re-produce it?why is it so good?

It's good because of its extremely deep V hull and massive ballast. That's also its downfall. Wakeboardwake rolls over, deep v makes handling and performance suffer. Surf wake is good. I surfed a 244 loaded up but frankly I thought it would have been better.

Don't know jack about surfing but did own a Centurion EliteV drive and would give it an A+. It was a well built hi quality boat. 99 to 07 trouble free.

I'll 2nd what was said above. We own a 03 Elite V and couldn't be happier with it for what we paid. With the deep v hull you take the good with the bad. Produces a nice clean wake with stock ballast. Surfs great with little weight. It cuts through chop better than most. With that being said don't ski behind it and the handling is not the best. As far as the newer ones go, the dash needs work and many are waiting for them to come out with a new "innovative" product.

• 3 weeks later...

I just traded my Enzo SV230 in for an LSV with Surfgate. Having owned that boat for a long time, and thinking hard about getting a new one, here are my thoughts...

* The surf wake is the best I've seen. It is big, steep, long, powerful. So much so that you need to tune it down for beginners. I believe the claims that is the best surf wake.

* However - it is only great on one side. It can be downright awful on the other. Port side (reg) epic - Starboard awful. Downright unsurfable unless you are a hydrodynamics major who has done a deal with the devil

* The Malibu wake with surfgate in my opinion is darn close to the size and quality of the enzo, but still not as good.

* However - the Enzo requires a ton of weight - 1400lbs min on one side in the rear - and switching sides takes forever and is useless. If you only surf one side then not a big deal, but we surf both

* The Malibu is a complete friggin dream to switch sides

* The handling and performance of the Enzo is fantastic - the V handles chop very well, boat handles extremely well. Much better than the Mastercraft 230 I had before it. It feels solid as anything - you feel like you are in a big boat out there

* Malibu is a little bumpier in heavy chop, better handling in light chop

* Malibu finish/vinyl/look/feel is top notch - the SV230's not nearly as good, the 233's get closer to Malibu, but not in the same league

Ultimately I went back and forth on which one to buy, and wound up spending about $10k more to get a Malibu after demoing it, surfing behind it, etc. If I had no friends and only surfed regular side and wasn't as concerned about finish out, maybe different story. I also love that the bu sits flat in the water, and the bu back-end is so darn spacious - comfort is really a lot better.

I loved the Enzo - had great times on that and since there are not that many in Austin had so many "holy "S$%t" comments from folks who had never seen a wave like that before. Hopefully more to come on the new ride.

I just traded my Enzo SV230 in for an LSV with Surfgate. Having owned that boat for a long time, and thinking hard about getting a new one, here are my thoughts...

* The surf wake is the best I've seen. It is big, steep, long, powerful. So much so that you need to tune it down for beginners. I believe the claims that is the best surf wake.

* However - it is only great on one side. It can be downright awful on the other. Port side (reg) epic - Starboard awful. Downright unsurfable unless you are a hydrodynamics major who has done a deal with the devil

* The Malibu wake with surfgate in my opinion is darn close to the size and quality of the enzo, but still not as good.

* However - the Enzo requires a ton of weight - 1400lbs min on one side in the rear - and switching sides takes forever and is useless. If you only surf one side then not a big deal, but we surf both

* The handling and performance of the Enzo is fantastic - the V handles chop very well, boat handles extremely well. Much better than the Mastercraft 230 I had before it. It feels solid as anything - you feel like you are in a big boat out there

* Malibu finish/vinyl/look/feel is top notch - the SV230's not nearly as good, the 233's get closer to Malibu, but not in the same league

Ultimately I went back and forth on which one to buy, and wound up spending about $10k more to get a Malibu after demoing it, surfing behind it, etc. If I had no friends and only surfed regular side and wasn't as concerned about finish out, maybe different story. I also love that the bu sits flat in the water, and the bu back-end is so darn spacious - comfort is really a lot better.

I loved the Enzo - had great times on that and since there are not that many in Austin had so many "holy "S$%t" comments from folks who had never seen a wave like that before. Hopefully more to come on the new ride

I loved the Enzo - had great times on that and since there are not that many in Austin had so many "holy "S$%t" comments from folks who had never seen a wave like that before. Hopefully more to come on the new ride.

Went from an Enzo 230 to a wakesetter 23 lsv. Can't even compare the 2 boats to each other. The bu is twice the boat. I find the surf wave just as good on reg side and agree with you that goofy side on Enzo was terrible and bu is great.

Malibu had it's international dealers meeting here on Oconee. Rumor has it that they brought in a brand new g23 and Xstar, and let all the dealers crawl all over them, then discussed Malibu's differences, plusses, minuses and future design thoughts. Thought that was really cool.

I was on a Z3 demo recently as well with the big flipper thing on the back. I really like the look/feel of the boats, the wave was downright terrible. To be fair I don't think the guys on it had it dialed-in, but it was almost un-surfable.

• 4 weeks later...

Have been out now a few more times on my LSV. Here is the report...

* With only one other person with me - driving the boat while I surf - the Malibu still throwing off a good wave, but even with the 500lbs on top of the PNP stock ballast, there is too much weight in the rear. I'm putting some pop bags up there - it needs at least 100-200lbs up there to be good. Can't imagine what the 750's in the back require up front. Still decent surf wave - not as good as a fully dialed-in Enzo like I had - but pretty close and a LOT easier to manage/deal with. Tried speed around 10.8-11.2, 11 seemed to be right combo of size/speed.

* With multiple people in boat, performs great. So far I like the trade-off - not quite the epic wave I had on the enzo - but very close, way easier to get rolling, obviously much easier to switch sides.