Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Reducing Engine Bay Noise

c0ris

I'm contemplating fully lining my engine bay with sound deadener but not sure if its going to be really worth the outlay for quality deadener like dynamat.

One would think the padding of the seats and engine lid would provide a fair bit of noise reduction just curious if anyone else has tried this and noticed a substantial difference?

I wish there was a more moderate version of FAE.

Turn down tips... Perhaps 8" long... Tapered into a V slicing from front to back... Back of the V perhaps 4-5" across tk allow plenty of flow.

Also tapered along the exhaust output.... highest towards the boat and lowest along the back of the V. That would force the exhaust noise down and slightly forward.

Current 2-3" turn down tip design but made better for sounds and CO2.

I did this on my Response LXi and was surprised at how effective it was in reducing mechanical noise in the cabin. Well worth the effort in the response centre mount arrangement. May be less effective with rear mounts...?

DSCN0275_zpsea3eda31.jpg

DSCN0282_zpsaeb65992.jpg

DSCN0290_zps7e36d6cf.jpg

DSCN0292_zps43608bea.jpg

DSCN0287_zpsa445094e.jpg

DSCN0301_zpsd0709304.jpg

DSCN0310_zps0138e290.jpg

DSCN0312_zpsc92c69cc.jpg

Edited by GreenMan
  • Like 1

looks good greenman! What product did you use and what was the pricing like? I can see it would definitely being worthwhile in a direct drive, in fact I cannot believe they do not do it from factory. Curious if there are any v-drive people out there giving it a shot?

looks good greenman! What product did you use and what was the pricing like? I can see it would definitely being worthwhile in a direct drive, in fact I cannot believe they do not do it from factory. Curious if there are any v-drive people out there giving it a shot?

Thanks, c0ris.

The pruduct is some generic foam material with self adhesive backing that I acquired from Clark Rubber here in Australia. Foam is about 1/2"+ thick. It was quite expensive. The material the Pistol Pete has used in his post looks good, too.

The issue with mine was the self adhesive was not very good and started to release after a season or two so I pulled it off and re-glued with some aerosol spray on contact adhesive prior to this season. Did a good job.

I understand that the factory will do it from new if you tick the 'Motorbox Insulation' option when you order. Maybe only on direct drive?

Edited by GreenMan

You can go to the resources section, DIY, motorbox insulation to check it out. Made a big difference on my DD as well, I'm sure it would help a VD.

Edit: Also in the forums, you'll find "Tech and DIY discussions". There are several reviews and part numbers, costs, etc. about this mod. Again, it's for DD's, but it's something to start with.

Edited by Michigan boarder

do you have the silent choice or rider, cant remember exact name, exhaust.? I don't notice hardly any excessive engine noise on my boat. Matter of fact love the sound of it sucking in air when accelerating.

For what it's worth, the issue for me was nothing to do with exhaust noise. When I upgraded from my Gilflite Shortline 190 to the RLXi, the relatively high Malibu windscreen meant my ears were no longer assaulted by wind noise and, suddenly, mechanical noise from within the engine cover was, to me, surprisingly loud. The insulation that I installed was more effective that I had expected.