Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boat bugs

Likeit73

Everytime I use mine, my cooler needs to be refilled...although I think that's by design though :)

Get you one...We really enjoy ours! Not real bugs / issues so far.

I too have this problem. I have taken multiple coolers onto the boat to see if it was just an issue with THAT cooler. Turns out it doesn't matter what cooler you put in the boat. For some reason the boat will empty any cooler placed inside. Weird.

I would keep an eye on my wallet. The spending won't stop after you buy a new boat.....

Actually I would keep an eye on the fluids. Not because they are prone to burning or loosing oil but because I would do this with ANY new vehicle.

Only other thing I have heard of is checking the coupler bolts. They loosened on a friend of mine when his boat was new.

Honestly I have not heard of any trends or reoccurring problems with the new boats yet.

Malibu will lake test them at the factory, my '11 had almost 1 hour on it when I recieved it. This test period is supposed to get most of the bugs out for the new owner. As others mentioned, the 10 hour break in is kind of a hassle, but its also a great problem to have :) Post up some pics of your new ride..... you also take it back in for a 15-20 hour service, your dealer should go through everything to make sure nothing has come loose and change the engine oil.

On my '08 Vride, the oil pressure sensor was threaded on loose from the factory and sprayed oil in the bilge of the boat. Didn't lose enough oil to harm anything, but it took a while to clean the bilge out. Also, the lock on my rear locker didn't engage properly, but it was an easy fix for the dealer. My advice, check your oil level every 1/2 hour for the first few hours of operation.

Edited by Cory

I'm 400km from any dealer so it won't be seeing a dealer unless I have a serious issue. So I'm crossing my fingers that it will be as trouble free as every one has said. I will definitely be checking fluids and making sure everything is tight and not been missed during it's initial inspection. Was just wondering if there are any common weak spots.

As for the pics I'm a re tard and can't seem to get them to fit, to attach them.

Open up a photobucket account. Move all your pictures there and then use the IMG code. Copy and paste here and then they will show up. Its free.

My intensions were to get a gently used boat but fell in love with a new one. What are the small bugs that everyone has had breaking in your new boats.

Where do I start? The depth sounder quit working (read 0'), followed that afternoon by the thermometer (read 32 degrees for air & water). Then, the big one- the throttle quit working properly. I could only go idle speed in forward & reverse. I'm not a mechanic, so I can't remember the exact terms, but IIRC, it had to do with an issue with resistance measurement in the throttle. While we were out one last time before winterization, I started getting a 'service required' error popping up. Everything seemed to be running fine, so I eased it back to the dock & put it on the trailer. Dropped it off at the dealer (who really is awesome) on my way home & haven't seen it since (vinyl repair, which was MY FAULT). One last thing- from time to time, washers & nuts would randomly appear on the deck under the helm. Nothing has fallen out of the dash...yet. I looked up under there to see if I could find the source, but everything looks ok.

That said, would I buy another Malibu? Yep. One thing I wish I had been prepared for is knowing that purchasing a Malibu is purchasing one of the most technologically advanced boats on the market. As we (consumers) have become painfully aware over the last decade or so, computers don't work 100% of the time. As a result, we learn to accept the fact that electronics malfunction from time to time, which requires a technician with a computer to fix them. Malibu boats are no exception. Maybe I just got a Monday or a Friday boat.

my 2011 VLX had random washers and nuts fall out from under the helm as well (small ones, not large one). I never did find where they came from. I spent several hours under there one day trying to find them and nothing. When I was at the factory I looked at an unassembled dash pod to try to locate them as well - never found them. weird....

Only other issue i had my 2011 was the holes in the suport poles on the bimini didn't line up, but that is not a malibu issue (was a CS issue). I found a workaround and went on with life.

My new 2012 VLX had washers and bolts from under the helm rattle and fall out also. I was able to see where they were supposed to go. Tried several times to fix with no luck. One of the bolts actually snapped. Didn't affect anything though.

I had same throttle issue as posted previously. Malibu has fixed this issue with the supplier and mine was swapped out. Problem solved.

I also had some issues with GPS speed control and blown fuse on my wedge.

Engine and all others parts worked flawlessly. I followed the 10 hour break-in period exactly as stated in the engine manual.

I have a great dealer and they promptly resolved each issue...although it was a pain to keep bringing back.

I put more hours on my boat last summer than any other summer...so needless to say I absolutely love my BU!! You will love your new boat.

...I did trade the 2012 in for a 2013 LSV ... I 100% trust malibu and its delaers to take care of their customers...as was the case 100% of the time last summer.

Bugs? Is that what we call them now?

My boat has been a QAQC disaster. Ive missed a lot of time off the water due to QAQC fails, and poor engineering and assy.

So far I've had 4 major 100% breakdowns in only 2 summers(fuse box fail, alt, tranny, electrical fails, alt, Malivue) Not to count all the other smaller fails. I have had 2/3 good dealers. The other I'd sink my boat in a lake before I take anything there, doing as much damage as he did repairs.

Malibu build quality has not met my expectations by ANY reasonable standard of measurement. Malibu customer service/leadership has not been satisfactory either IMO. $80k to deal with this number and depth of problems is piss poor. Malibu is too focused on celebs, team riders and videos with guys who talk like they are high on weed or placed 2nd in national slollam 15 yrs ago. None of that equates to quality boats and customer service.

When I bought my boat SAN 230s and X45s were about $10-15k more, that seems cheap compared to the BS I've dealt with.

I'm sure this thread will be locked in no time so all the fanboys can keep their discount orders in the que.

ryan, I hate that you have had so many problems with your Bu. Unfortunately, sometimes a lemon gets through and excuses shouldn't be made when spending this kind of money. I would just say keep working with your dealer (a good one) and malibu to resolve the issues or sell it and buy a different brand. My dealer (and others on this forum) will tell you that I am not shy about pointing out problems, but most of my gripes are minor issues that have not affected my time on the water like your problems have.

This isn't Team Talk. Our admins don't lock down threads to make Malibu look good (thank goodness).

You guys really had that many probs with your 2012s? Wow I mustve won the lottery. The only problems I had were mostly cosmetic except for the carpeted panel over the bow tank which kept rising as the bow tank was filled with both water and apparently air.

126 hours on my 2012 this season and only one problem. The engine water pump broke right at the shaft around 50 hours, it was a manufacturing flaw. Indmar says it was probably the 3rd time they have seen that happen in 20 years. It was diagnosed and repaired in a matter of days, didn't even miss time on the water. Having a great dealer who really knows their product makes all the difference.

Everything else has been problem free. Malivue, MTC, etc, all perfect. Just fill it with gas, hit the water, punch the presets and ride. Everything works, easy peasy.

We have a wide variety of very nice boats at our little local riding spot. The other big name manufacturers are NOT immune to bugs and problems. Like I said, having a great dealer who really knows their product makes all the difference, regardless of brand.

• Like 1

We blew a hole in one of the exhaust hoses within the first few hours of break in on our 2012 Txi. Ended up having to replace both hoses and turndowns. After that, no issues at all.

My boat has been a QAQC disaster. Ive missed a lot of time off the water due to QAQC fails, and poor engineering and assy.

So far I've had 4 major 100% breakdowns in only 2 summers(fuse box fail, alt, tranny, electrical fails, alt, Malivue) Not to count all the other smaller fails. I have had 2/3 good dealers. The other I'd sink my boat in a lake before I take anything there, doing as much damage as he did repairs.

Malibu build quality has not met my expectations by ANY reasonable standard of measurement. Malibu customer service/leadership has not been satisfactory either IMO. $80k to deal with this number and depth of problems is piss poor.

Though any problem with something at that price sucks (and I'd be pissed too), some of that anger should be directed away from Malibu. The first alternator and tranny, for instance, should have all blame placed squarely on Indmar. Indmar provides motors for a number of brands so it's only fair to discuss Malibu in the sense of how they handled the issue (and not sure how those could be found in QA). 2nd alternator is hard to say without knowing details. Fuse box is likely Malibu, electrical faults are probably Malibu too and of course the Malivue. Now what could/couldn't have been found in QA is the question.

Sucks, but Mastercraft and Nautique owners have experienced the same kinds of issues with their boats too. Sometimes it is the luck of the draw. Now how Malibu handles the issue and handles a bad dealer is something that should have a lot of focus and discussion.

If I lived 5 mins from a great dealer.... And got home dealer treatment with all these issues, I'm sure this would be a very different story. That's why many of the folks on here can't comprehend.

Imagine you have to move away from home dealer.... And you have a 2nd major breakdown on a brand new boat. You call the closest Malibu dealer for help in June... And he asks "where did you buy your boat?" the service guy tells you no appointments avail, come back in OCT. Then you pretty much force your way into a service call, he takes the boat and tou loose it for 30 days because he takes care f his customers first. Regional service reps and Malibu customer service AWOL the entire process after being notified.

When you get the boat back after hours because I work 60hrs a week, the next time out on the water I learn of the hack job that dealer did doing the tranny swap... Grounded out the CAN cable... Effectively renders many systems dead: ballast, wedge, lights, blower etc. Refuses to take the boat back because his customers ome first, bring it back in Sept. So for the rest of the summer I have a Wakesetter pontoon boat. Malibu customer service still AWOL. That's my Malibu Difference.

Sept comes... I coordinate 3 weeks prior for a service call, supposed to take 7 days. 4 weeks later within days if a hard freeze still has not touched my boat. I pulled it out of there never to return.

Now I trailer 3.5hrs one way for for these issues to a great dealer as a result of poor build quality and Malibu's inability to follow thru on their promised warranty/ nationwide dealer network.

WSA unscrewed what that the other dealer did to the CAN and this fall I had to pay WSA to repair the remainder of hack job the other dealer did in the half assed reintall of the cross member and support frame after the tranny swap. Try Explaining that to your wife.

Again, all i listed were the hard fails, I've had all the others: dash coming apart, steering wheel about to come off, poor wiring under dash, cosmetic stuff etc etc.

I would never recommend a Malibu to anyone that moves often, as you stand the chance to be someone's 2nd rate customer. It's clear my boat is void of any build quality to make it thru a sunmer without constant dealer attention and Malibu customer service dept is unresponsive, offering unrealistic BS hot air---> take it back to the same dealer who refused you service, ruined your summer(boating wise) did 2x hack job on your boat, and nearly cornered you into a freezed cracked block a a result of their inability to follow thru. Ya that sounds great.

I am living the Malibu dream. Can't wait to break about the Malibu this spring, really looking forward to what happens next with it.

Ryan,

When you said:

$80k to deal with this number and depth of problems is piss poor.

I couldn't agree more. On July 2, 2012, after the throttle quit working, I sent my salesman (and copied the dealership owner) an e-mail. Line 2 read:

"...at this time [we] are quite unhappy with our $80,000 boat. In 2006, we bought a brand new 2007 Glastron GT-185 for $18,000." I went on to say that "In the first 56 hours, I have had more issues out of this boat than I had in 5 years of ownership of my Glastron...and this boat cost more than 4 times as much!"

I asked the salesman to forward my e-mail to the Malibu rep. He says he did, and I believe him. Did I get any acknowledgement from the company? Nope. Nothing.

I too have missed weekends in the first summer of ownership due to boat repairs. Unlike you, I'm 15 minutes from my home dealer. They really have been great, but I agree 100% that there's a QA/QC issue at Malibu. If it wasn't for my dealer getting me in & out in a reasonable amount of time, I would swear off Malibu. I can't believe that you're having the problems that you are & hate it for you. I agree with Nitrousbird about pointing the finger at Indmar for the engine problems, but I'd be willing to bet the other stuff is squarely Malibu's fault. Fortunately, you were able to find a good dealer that will take care of you. The 3.5 hr drive there sucks. I also agree with Nitrousbird that it's the luck of the draw. Sorry I can't offer any good advice, but know you aren't alone in your disappointment with Malibu.

On my 2011 vlx I had a few issues. The MTC froze up one time at 62 hours, was immediately replaced and never missed a beat after this. I did have the dash bezel nuts come off and fall on the floor. They should have used nylock nuts to secure from vibrating loose. My dripless shaft seal started leaking at 125 hours, was replaced. Those are the three items I had issues with after 253 hours. Not perfect, but I would say not bad either.

I ordered a 2013, so I guess it was not bad enough to push me away to a different brand. For as many boats as Malibu produces, I think they have a pretty low number of unsatisfied customers.

Nryan, unfortunately your boat was an obvious lemon. I would be disgruntled too. Dont blame you for moving to something different. However, I would be surprised if you had that many issues on another Malibu.

Edited by Fman