Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 Wakesetter VTX Is Here

GullLakeMarine

Ditch the pin stripes, remove the decals, bolt on some decent wheels and that trailer would look much better. Even some Malibu logo guidepole covers would help.

Does the length of the trailer matter if it does not extend out past the surfgate tabs?That seems to be longest part of the boat, and the picture seems to show the rear of the trailer shorter than the SG tabs. On the bow it does look like it could be reduced down in length with a different roller location.

I have had a boatmate and sportboat trailer. Both were nice trailers, between the two I thought the sportboat towed better. Maybe because of the torsion axle vs leaf springs? I know MC uses torsion axle trailers. Not sure on what the pros and cons are between the two. The boatmate seemed to ride rough, where the sportboat seems to ride smoother on uneven roads.

My dealer uses sportboat because they are local, and reduces the cost by $3k. Sportboat uses led lights, ratchet tie downs, prop guard rollers, fully boxed in, 4 wheel disc, fulton F2. I also like the bunk setup on the sportboat with the center V keel bunk for a perfect alignment everytime you load the boat. Maybe sportboat has this as well now on there trailers, it did not have it on my 08 supra.

Btw, great looking vtx! I love that color scheme, that single strip of flake is perfect, classy but not blinged out over the top.

Edited by Fman

I hate the center v keel bunk. I have seen carpet mess up on those and gouge many a keel. Also, if you try to load your boat in heavy current or wind, and you get a little sideways, one of those keel bunks will get you twisted up pretty bad. I've also seen a guy tear up a prop on his own trailer because of that exact situation.

You guys keep mentioning blinged out, triple axle trailers on 20's with $5k premiums. Are you guys for real? Did I say anything even resembling that?

I guess asking for a trailer specifically sized for a particular boat is asking too much.

+1...20's and runway lights are not required to have a decent looking trailer. Skipping vinyl stickers and use wheels not from the 90s is a good start.

My first boat was a prostar 190. It had that v keel bunk and it tore up the keel on my boat.

That is really interesting, I can only speak for what we have experienced. My wife will pull the boat on the trailer and she has missed a few times and it always seems to auto correct with the keel bunk. Maybe your pro star had a difference bunk configuration/location. I am am hoping they put it on my 13. Between the two, the keel bunk seems to be easier for us to pull the boat on the trailer with. Guess it is just personal preference.

Fman - all boats load differently. You may be right, and it may be nice to have on an LSV or VLX. I just had a bad experience with a different boat. Since I have not had a keel bunk thing on any of my last 8 trailers, I guess I assume I don't need it. However, I stand to be educated, so if I get a chance to use a trailer with one for a Malibu, I'll report back!

Extreme has that Keel "V" Bunk system and the Boatmate uses Full Length Bunks to Center the front. I have had both and agree with Chatt.. I have had to recarpet the "V" on my last Extreme and noticed a few scratches in the keel from missing the "V". The Boatmate Bunk system is the Best IMO...

Whats wrong with the trailer? I think the Phoenix looks really sharp under this boat. The person that buys this boat can install whatever kind of tower speaker they want.

...obviously everything.. as stated from multiple members.. it may appear to you to look good because,,, its the same color maybe? other wise its nasty.. like stated above it looks generic... and yes customers can added whatever speakers they want down the road.. theyll just pay for the first pair thats allready on it.. witch is junk.. and then whatever they want.. anyone in the industry knows malibu "factory tower" speakers are s***... the coaxiles dont produce the length of sound ( typycally what you order tower speakers for) and 2nd malibu's wet sounds 6x9's last for about 2 months if that, and the whole rubber surrounding is now broke apart from the frame.. oh ya its also "cheaper" for the dealer to order the boat with out speakers and put whatever they want on it, than ordering the boat with tower speakers on it.. so why not diy, save money and looks better,, but again just my .02

I disagree with the speaker comment. Not everyone that wants tower speakers wants them for the "length of sound." We have a summer home on a lake and I purposefully will not order horn speakers cause I would end up with unhappy neighbors. I ordered the malibu coaxiles cause they add to the surround effect of the music in the boat and I think they look great. I'm installing a separate volume control on the tower speakers so I can quickly mute them or run with them off when near our neighbors.

I don't like the pinstrip on the trailer, but whatever... Our boat spends the summer on our boat lift and the winter in the garage at our summer home. The trailer spends almost its entire life in that garage except for the 3 block drive to the private launch on our island twice a year. So, I can understand why someone might just want the cheapest trailer available. I did end up ordering a boatmate trailer with 18" chrome wheels (cause I like the boat to look nice in the dark in our garage :) ), but I totally could see someone else in my situation wanting to pay as little as possible for the trailer.

Edited by Cory