Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can someone measure the height of their retractable pylon

Nitrousbird

I have the fixed pylon on our VLX, which sticks up way too high. Converting to a retractable version is too much work/expense at this point, so I want to simply shorten my fixed pylon.

Since the area the rope could slide up and down on my fixed pylon is longer than the retractable (and the top of the fixed pylon is longer), I don't want a measurement from the top of your pylon to the sun pad. I want a measurement from the bottom of where the rope rests on your pylon to the sun pad. I want the rope when using it to be the same height as if I had a retractable pylon.

Here is a picture on our current pylon (old pic):

dsc02912u.jpg

how are you planning on shortening it?

Having it cut off at the mounting base where it is currently welded, cutting off the amount of tubing I don't need, and having it TIG welded back into place.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess the height of the fixed and the retractable is the same height off the water since the newer boats have higher sides. If you shorten it, it will be lower to the water.

Scott

Nitrous, you probably have looked, but I thought that pylon was bolted in. (No bottom thread?)

Anyhow, current retractable pylon is about 8.5" overall, which places the top of the pylon head about 4.5" above the upholstery in the raised position.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess the height of the fixed and the retractable is the same height off the water since the newer boats have higher sides. If you shorten it, it will be lower to the water.

Scott

Nope, '04 Wakesetters + the '05-'08 V-rides are all on the SV23 hull and have retractable pylons.

Nitrous, you probably have looked, but I thought that pylon was bolted in. (No bottom thread?)

Anyhow, current retractable pylon is about 8.5" overall, which places the top of the pylon head about 4.5" above the upholstery in the raised position.

The Pylon is bolted in, but it was built as two pieces; one piece being the part with the threads that goes into the crossmember hole then secured with a nut from the bottom, then the main pylon tube welded on top of it. I'll have to take a picture of it when I get home.

Nitrousbird will you please post your results? This was also on my to do list for the summer, just not at the top yet. If I get it done first I will post too. Thanks man