Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HD Damper Plate Upgrade

Well i went ahead and decided to upgrade my damper plate on my boat after reading a few of the stories on here and also talking to Engine Nut. Seeing some of those damper plates that let loose really made an impression. Not only because of the dependability, but because of the safety factor. I purchased my HD damper plate off inboardonline.com which Engine Nut suggested. Wasn't too pricey. Decided to get into it yesterday with the weather being relatively decent. Wasnt too hard of a job on my boat (2004 23' XTI). Pulled the rear facing backrest off to create more room to work. Used two ratchet style tie downs, one around each header, and wrapped them around a piece of 1x1 square tube steel that I laid across the steel frame of the motor compartment to support the back of the engine. Next took the coupler apart and rear tranny mounts off. Seemed to support the rear of the engine very well. Pulled the transmission and was surprised to see how flimsy the stock damper plate looked compared to the new one. As you can see in the pics, the aftermarket one is much more beefier then the stock. Not only the springs but the actual thickness of the plate. Just wanted to share incase someone wanted to know the difference of stock versus the aftermarket HD one.

securedownload-1.jpeg

securedownload-2.jpeg

Edited by bcf2003
  • Like 2

Yeah that is the 885201 plate. It says for all GM/Indmar 1:1 trans application. Engine Nut supplied the part number I needed. You might PM him and see what he has to say on the fitment for the HH engine. Don't want to give you the wrong info.

• 4 years later...

Hi. I know this topic is old, but just wanted to give it a try. I have XTI as well 2005, and put same plate.. After starting, there is some loud grinding noise... not sure if I over tightened the bell housing bolts, or something is touching moving parts.. Didn't have a chance to look closer.

How did your boat perform after the new plate job? Any noises that weren't there before, or vibration?

20 hours ago, fanOfMalibu454 said:

My guess is I have the plate not centered when tightening... should be +- 1 mm

The problem Indmar had with during this time was not with the plates.  It was defective bellhousings that didn't align the trans to the engine, causing the plate to fail.  The alignment can be checked with a dial indicator and corrected with offset dowels (or a new bellhousing).