Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Nautic Laugic NL4 PP GPS

R1200196

I had a great experience with the NL4 on my '09 VLX, others have not. I had the Garmin receiver, which was the only one offered at the time. The only GPS I have ever used that was better is the integrated GPS Malibu now offers.

Yes. I find that my speed readings match up with GPS readings from 15 to 45mph plus or min. 1/2mph at the top and bottom. When I run PerfectPass in classic mode I find the pull more consistent then when I was using the paddle wheel. It finds a signal quicker with the Swift puck then my PP with the Garmin. Ski partner put one on his 07 and the Malibu cruse works 100% better.

I'm not sure if I'm lost in terminology... Now that you installed the paddle wheel gps, you prefer running your PerfectPass in speed mode vs. RPM mode?

@onamission: Are you saying that you use the GPS speed signal, thus ski in speed mode, instead of the RPM signal? I understood that classic mode uses the RPM signal to control speed.

My boat came with PP that was tied in with the paddle wheel that came with the boat. I have upgraded the PP system to Stargazer which still has paddle input. I received the Nautic Laugic as a gift after complaining about the price of a new paddle wheel,(see ski buddy's boat). Not really needing it I installed it to try it out. Sometime we ski in classic mode other in GPS. I think the boat drives and skis better with the GPS paddle wheel instead of the real paddle wheel when using classic mode. Don't understand it, but its better pull. I personally prefer PP GPS mode. I left it in just because its also nice to have all the speedo's match up through the full range.

Buddys boat came with Malibu Cruse, the paddle wheel and his trailer bunk don't like each other. His cruse system works 100% better in speed mode with the GPS paddle wheel. We used to run his boat in RPM mode using rpm setting from my PP, but now the speed mode works just as good without having to adj. for weight etc.

? so you have stargazer and nauticlogic? What do you mean by "GPS paddle wheel"? The NL paddle wheel replacement? ppass is still an RPM-based system.

I could be wrong, I thought classic starts with your rpm baseline for each speed and then looks at the paddle wheel signal along with all the crew, skiers weight etc. settings do it black magic thing to keep the speed right.

It more then likely the same pull, but having boat speedo match up exactly with the PP speedo at all speeds is a blessing for me. A couple of people that I ski with are not the best ski partners, but we all do what we need to get course time in. The less that they have to question, the better. Me, as long as the timer reads OK after a making thought the gates, I'm good.

What you describe is what stargazer does, not classic. On classic you can have a pass where speed says 36 but have a 34 time in which case the quick calibration of ppass is so essential to do frequently. ppass speedo is NOT reliable except for GPS which is why, I've been told, why the speed input is not used by classic to maintain speed.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Yes, as said above I have both.

Paddlewheel input that is delivered by a GPS device, like the Nauticlogic.

Yes it is, but there is a paddlewheel input in the older systems.

Well yes, there is a paddlewheel input in the older systems but you say you're using stargazer? So you're running two GPS inputs on your ppass?

I prefer to run GPS mode myself, I run classic for other people. With the Nauticlogic paddlewheel input I find that in classic mode I don't need to recalibrate as offen if at all.

Now with the 07 Response I ski, with the Nauticlogic input. We find that the standard Malibu cruse system works better in the speed mode then the RPM mode when running the course.

Recalibrate what, baselines? Unless you're in GPS mode, the classic algorithm doesn't care what the speed input says once it has grabbed.

You're getting good times from malibu cruise?