Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski/Wake boat noob needs some advice on Texas 97 Tantrum

baddogz28

Been trolling on the site for quite some time as I have been shopping for a new rig. I have some questions about the 97 Tantrum that I will be sea trialing tomorrow.

a: Any repeated trouble spots on these boats I should keep my eyes peeled for?

b: I plan to use the boat for some novice wakeboarding and surfing, and floating around helping my girlfriend with her tan... I realize that these are no-frills, but if floats/decent wake/good sound system are all I really require to be as happy as a pig in slop, is this boat appropriate for me?

c. Any other shortcomings that the boat has that I should know about?

d. The guy has the boat listed for $11,000, saying it's exceptionally clean. Four hundred something hours. Only like boat I have found for sale is in California- ~$8500 with half the hours... Only real add that I can tell he's pricing the boat with over and above the bimini, tower, racks is a pretty killer sound system. That being said, what's the money on this thing? Nada says $7200-$8200. Seller seems reasonably open to offers.

Here she is: http://killeen.craigslist.org/boa/3538819998.html

Any insight you folks can lend is much appreciated, seeing as my personal boat knowledge is semi-limited to go-fasts (86 Checkmate 24, 91 Pantera 28' offshore w 2x502s.)

Thanks!

Chris

No chronic problems with those, very simple boat. Well, maybe the pitots for the speedometers, but that's most boats of that vintage.

Ad is gone. Price seems really high to me, even with options. One sat for sale around here on CL for $6750 last summer for months and months.

Great ski and barefoot boat.

Mediocre wakeboard boat.

Would be difficult to get enough weight in it to surf without sinking it. You'll see tomorrow how low it sits in the water.

Rough water ride is brutal.

Sure looks cool, though.

Resale is sketchy on those because it was a bare-bones boat back then, compare it to today's boats and it's even less desirable to the masses.

Hate to steer anyone away from a Bu, but in that price range this boat would be a much better all-rounder. It's a bit bigger so be sure you have storage room and towing capacity for it:

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/3586358367.html

• Like 2

No chronic problems with those, very simple boat. Well, maybe the pitots for the speedometers, but that's most boats of that vintage.

Ad is gone. Price seems really high to me, even with options. One sat for sale around here on CL for $6750 last summer for months and months.

Great ski and barefoot boat.

Mediocre wakeboard boat.

Would be difficult to get enough weight in it to surf without sinking it. You'll see tomorrow how low it sits in the water.

Rough water ride is brutal.

Sure looks cool, though.

Resale is sketchy on those because it was a bare-bones boat back then, compare it to today's boats and it's even less desirable to the masses.

Hate to steer anyone away from a Bu, but in that price range this boat would be a much better all-rounder. It's a bit bigger so be sure you have storage room and towing capacity for it:

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/3586358367.html

Have you barefooted behind a tantrum before? Is the wake softer like the sportsters and responses? Theres a tantrum on our lake that is never used with a tower that my brother and I would love to throw an offer to the owner to one day. Were looking for more of a strict and cheap ski/BF boat.

By the way, tantrums are sweet. Their small, but really sweet looking. I hope they pull well.

Chris,

The Tantrum is the same hull as the Malibu Sportster which was a much more common boat for Malibu so you might find more info on guys boarding and surfing behind Sportys. I personally have seen the Sportster surf without too much trouble, you just need to add weight to the boat.

Here's a thread on it....

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34167-sportster-surfing/

and a pic of it slammed (note the massive sac on the port side)....

gallery_7666_65_52253.jpg

On the other hand, that boat throws one of the best slalom wakes I've ever experience (or lack there of). At over 30mph it is unreal how flat it is behind that boat. As others have said, they are well powered and light which makes them a blast to drive!

Thanks for the heads up... Saw that Nautique but for some reason (probably the lackluster pics) I'm just not feeling that boat. I'm assuming from prior conversations that the Tantrum guy is going to be fairly flexible on the price. Doesn't seem like he's had much action on it at all. 3k over retail as an asking price will do that though. LOL. I'm thinking $7500.

Anyway, think she'll accept any ballast without taking on water? Current owner says the wake is decent enough for HS backrolls. Who knows.

Also, If I get it, I'm thinking of a wrap to update it... What do you think?

3G73Fd3Ia5I85Gc5J1d1ba43dbf733b211b30.jp

tantrum+vinyl.jpg

Thanks for all the other responses and pictures, by the way. This is some really good info.

Supposing she's super clean and runs as advertised, do you guys think it's a good buy at $7500?

d. The guy has the boat listed for $11,000, saying it's exceptionally clean. Four hundred something hours. Only like boat I have found for sale is in California- ~$8500 with half the hours... Only real add that I can tell he's pricing the boat with over and above the bimini, tower, racks is a pretty killer sound system. That being said, what's the money on this thing? Nada says $7200-$8200. Seller seems reasonably open to offers.

Assuming it's immaculate and is worth the NADA $8200, tack on a tower ($1000), racks ($300), killer stereo ($1000) and you are over $10k. Also, keep in mind that boat has zero wood (floors, seats, anywhere). Just something to consider when looking at older boats. I think it's worth 10k as it sits.

So anyway, he won't go below $10k, and I'm still looking.

Thanks anyway guys.

Did you drive it? Any chance you get test drive these inboards is a learning experience of what you do and don't like about each one. Always do your price negotiations after the test drive.

I think you'll find a much better deal out there. Like martinarcher said, look for Sportsters and Responses. Same hull and size but a bit nicer inside even though they may not look as cool to you.

Jaciche--I don't have personal experience footing that boat, but some friends back in the day had one with the SSP (or something similar) on it and liked it. They did end up with an outboard Barefoot Warrior, but they used that Tantrum for at least four years even though they had money to change boats anytime they chose to.

• 3 months later...