Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diesel power pod drive, could be interesting

Bozboat

volvopenta_IPS350b.jpg

Diesel - The IPS system from Volvo is an application of the POD drive system that has been in existence on commercial ships for many years. The 300-hp IPS400 is one of seven diesel systems available from Volvo Penta.

Volvo Penta IPS Inboard Performance System is a new propulsion system. Thanks to joystick controls, the IPS makes docking much easier and in our opinion, safer for less experienced boaters.

In addition to handling, IPS has some other big advantages: noise and vibration are greatly reduced, and exhaust gases are directed out through the drive units underwater. IPS also appears to provide significantly reduced fuel consumption; cruising range is also greatly improved.

ipsjoystick.jpg

Funny thing is that it seems to be a direct drive in reverse

but I guess you could mount it backwards and it would be like a vdrive

volvopenta_IPSsystem.jpg

http://www.boattest.com/resources/view_News.aspx?NewsID=4555

Edited by Bozboat

Might be slightly heavy. 300 diesel hp is usually about 600ft-lbs of torque I don't think you'd need all that power.. 200hp with 400ft-lbs of torque would be more like it. I'm a big diesel fan.

Might be slightly heavy. 300 diesel hp is usually about 600ft-lbs of torque I don't think you'd need all that power.. 200hp with 400ft-lbs of torque would be more like it. I'm a big diesel fan.

The idea of a pod drive diesel scaled down to fit the weight/power of a wakeboat is what appealed to me, not so much the one in the photo. Volvo lists a smaller one on its web sight. Just thought it was an interesting idea, and it's the first time I have seen a propeller that pulled rather than pushed on a boat

So that thing can articulate 360*? That's awesome! Wakeboats are going to look so much different in 10-20 years I bet. The technology is growing by leaps and bounds. I don't know that they will be using this system but it's a step into the future

I have play with these systems on a 175' ship that the Coast Guard uses to maintain buoys. They are power by a Cat 3508, even thou the system is pretty cool, there is no need for it in the water sport world. Unless you need to drive the boat complete sideways.

These have been around for a number of years now. In current configuration, they won't work well for a trailer boat, they sit a good 2 feet below the boat. I guess you'd have room to fit your 28's on the trailer. These things are definitely made for large ocean/big lake going vessels. In fact, I don't think they are to be installed as a single. Great technology though, maybe something will eventually morph to sport usefulness.