Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just Hanging There, Nate Gate v.6

Ndawg12

This has been hanging off my boat since November, haven't even seen it's potentail and probably won't for another month or so. I'm bored and getting antsy so I decided to throw up these pics and get some thoughts since alot of people have had time to tinker with their setups. The unit will come on and off with one thumb screw. My original thought was to just flip the arm over to the other side and install a different gate on it (2 gates, 1 mount) but I'm not sure if it will work.

IMG_0228_zps391ea176.jpg

IMG_0229_zps3bc4c716.jpg

IMG_0230_zps4c9ea495.jpg

Sweeeet. Curious--you do your own aluminum welding or no? I got a buddy with a spool welder two blocks away that I haven't put to good use in a while.

No, I had a pipeline welder do it for me. Even so, the weld doesn't hold up to lateral pressure, hence the tapped screws on the tabs.

Any on water pics?

Nope, hence the thread... :biggrin:

How much force do you think it will hold with that thumbscrew? I had thought of a similar setup tying into the swim step. I was thinking of a bracket that you could slide the gate in and out from the top easily without having to get in the water. If that one big bolt will hold it then I'm definitely trying it soon.

Looks good with a clean setup!

Edited by fredberg1414

So I will see the new set up in Atlanta. I will have mine by then with the newborn and work I haven't even started building it yet. They say it is hard to steer when turning around if it doesn't move.

Just a thought on how to make it easier to switch sides....maybe you already thought of this and tried it.

Put a beefy hinge where your square tubing takes a bend. Then use different length rods/bars to push out the gate, or keep tucked in (to attach the rods you could probably devise a nice pin system, or a sliding rod system). Here's my brutal paint picture.

nateGate_zps073be965.jpg

I like Joe's idea and think it might be a bit stronger overall. My only concern is that single mounting point not being string enough. You could always mount something to the right rear bottom corner of the platform and use a brace from there to the back inside of the gate. I did something similar with my gate. I would try it first since simple is always better, but if it fails under load that might be a second step approach.

I'll looking forward to surfing your boat at the WOW again this year.....with a gate! It was pretty darn good last year but should be killer this year!! :rockon:

Cool. Simple is important.

We went through several tweaks last summer, but spent a good deal of time out there. Here are a few thoughts to ponder or ignore...

1) Keep it as is. Enjoy the water.

2) Try a taller gate. I tried a few different gates last year. When the boat sinks from the ballast, the gates are buried. Pictures are hard sometimes, but it looks like your gate starts below the swim deck. Of course, the tradeoff for diverting more water is crappier steering. I settled for something in the middle. Ironically, I saw Malibu's OEM surfgates in person for the first time today... They are pretty tall, but so is the hull.

3) If you regularly have a mix of goofy/regular riders, I'd think about keeping something on both sides permanently. Even if you keep it manual. It's a lot more work to build because the angles of the gates are a pain to figure out when stowed. But its nice to be able to switch riders quickly. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and add the lencos this summer.

Maybe play more with your setup this summer, get it dialed, and then see if it's worth adding a permanent solution.

4) Then again, see #1.

Nice work.

Looks awesome, but as others have stated that is a lot of moment on the single mounting point. You will be displacing a lot of water and have a 1 foot lever on the bolt. Bracing in the rear of the platform to it would really help. I'd at minimum tether it to the platform in the event it does break loose, it wont sink. (Unless of course it floats on its own)