Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Undermount Spare Tire on Trailer

wakeparadise

Does anyone have any pictures or info on the undermount spare tire for a boatmate trailer (for a 2011 Wakesetter VLX)

I talked to Jerry at Boatmate trailer (really nice guy) and he's offered to sell me the parts needed that they use when installing these at the factory. He said he can sell me the parts but can't offer instructions, so it'll be up to me to weld it/paint it. Any pictures or anything you guys have got on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Ryan

Specifically to that trailer, no. I made a simple one using a piece of 1.5" SS angle and two long bolts. Clamps the tire up to the frame line a large u-bolt ( the angle and two bolts make the u-bolt configuration, the bolts go down through two lug holes on the wheel). No welding needed, just remove it when you take the tire off. Sounds redneck, but doesn't look bad and works well.

I rigged up my own undersupport using a piece of unistrut with heat shrinkable plastic coating on it and two 8" pieces of 1/2" threaded rod. The only disadvantage to my set up is that you have to bear the weight of the spare while you loosen the nuts from underneath. I sit on the ground and use my knees to do that.

I rigged up my own undersupport using a piece of unistrut with heat shrinkable plastic coating on it and two 8" pieces of 1/2" threaded rod. The only disadvantage to my set up is that you have to bear the weight of the spare while you loosen the nuts from underneath. I sit on the ground and use my knees to do that.

Heat shrinkable plastic coating? That sounds awesome! So in the end it's metal with plastic covering? When you get a chance can you take a picture of it?

I do not know how to post pictures. But heat shrink is available in most hardware stores and at all electrical supply stores.

It comes in colors too. The 1/2" rod is also coated where the threads are not needed.

Edited by electricjohn

I do not know how to post pictures. But heat shrink is available in most hardware stores and at all electrical supply stores.

It comes in colors too. The 1/2" rod is also coated where the threads are not needed.

As a free member you can't post pics :( however you can post a link to photo bucket or picasa

I'll post up some pics later of my set up.