Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Question

As some of you know i am doing an interior overhaul on my 2002 sunsetter. When i was in the boat today i went to move the steering wheel and it was somewhat tough to turn, it loosened up a bit but still feels like a car with no power steering. Do Malibu's have power steering and turning the wheel when the boat was difficult because it was not turned on?

Since i have my boat apart i disconnected the line from the top of the rudder arm, When i did this i turned the wheel and it was still stiff and tried to move the rudder and it was very easy to move back and forth. So if there is no power steering i am guessing the issue is in the steering cable? Or is there an area on the cable that can be greased? Also if i bought the cable does it include everything up to the rudder arm in the picture?

Appreciate it

steering.jpg

Take a look at the casing of your cable....it'll say something like "Teleflex" with a part number after it (most likely). You can find the correct steering cable on ebay for about $125 bucks. Order it and then dig up the "Steering Cable Replacement" thread in the DIY Maintenance section of the site here and you're well equipped to replace it yourself. Good luck!

Take a look at the casing of your cable....it'll say something like "Teleflex" with a part number after it (most likely). You can find the correct steering cable on ebay for about $125 bucks. Order it and then dig up the "Steering Cable Replacement" thread in the DIY Maintenance section of the site here and you're well equipped to replace it yourself. Good luck!

Cliff, bakes has the TFxtreme cable for $195. I've read some people saying that's a quality cable. Thoughts?

Edited by Rmattajr

Cliff, bakes has the TFxtreme cable for $195. I've read some people saying that's a quality cable. Thoughts?

Yes get the teleflex extreme, finger tip control

This thread has a handy pdf in it for cable length questions...and yes, the TFxtreme cables are the bomb. I replaced both my broken throttle cables with them and they are really nice.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25998-skier-throttle-cable-length/?hl=%2Bthrottle+%2Bcable+%2Blength

Found the item number on the cable in the boat. SSC13419 teleflex. Does this mean I need a 19 foot cable? I beleive the above chart said I needed a 20 foot cable. 2002 Sunsetter XTI 23 foot

Appreciate it.

Edited by Rmattajr

Found the item number on the cable in the boat. SSC13419 teleflex. Does this mean I need a 19 foot cable? I beleive the above chart said I needed a 20 foot cable. 2002 Sunsetter XTI 23 foot

Appreciate it.

Here is a link to the chart at Bakes, I would order the 20 per the chart. My boat uses a 19' cable.

http://www.bakesonline.com/images/2009/BOAT/02Parts/Reference/MalibuBoatsfitchart.pdf

Edited by Bozboat

Appreciate it.

Yes, exactly - the SSC13419 measured out at a little over 19 feet in length - I just replaced my SSC13419 in my Malibu Skier with the same SSC13419 purchased off ebay for about $129 bucks or so. I measured it out of curiosity before installing as it looked long at the time.

I know it sounds long, but after you snake it up and make the turn under the dash it ends up being the right length. I would stick with the same length cable as what you have OE installed. The SSC13419 is a quality cable for sure and I was very happy with it, however there may well be different, or even better, cables out there. Personally, I was happy to find the OE cable available for a reasonable price, and for that cable to be installed without having to take up any semi-permanent floor sections. It took me about two and a half hours to remove the old cable and install the new, however it should be a lot quicker for you with the floor out of the boat.

The steering was much, much improved with the new cable.

Yes, exactly - the SSC13419 measured out at a little over 19 feet in length - I just replaced my SSC13419 in my Malibu Skier with the same SSC13419 purchased off ebay for about $129 bucks or so. I measured it out of curiosity before installing as it looked long at the time.

I know it sounds long, but after you snake it up and make the turn under the dash it ends up being the right length. I would stick with the same length cable as what you have OE installed. The SSC13419 is a quality cable for sure and I was very happy with it, however there may well be different, or even better, cables out there. Personally, I was happy to find the OE cable available for a reasonable price, and for that cable to be installed without having to take up any semi-permanent floor sections. It took me about two and a half hours to remove the old cable and install the new, however it should be a lot quicker for you with the floor out of the boat.

The steering was much, much improved with the new cable.

got it thanks cliff, It was weird because Bakes online said that i should be using a 20ft cable on my boat but when i called them they said the chart is 98% accurate and there are some exceptions on some boats. They said go with the same 19ft cable thats in the boat now. I found a brand new one for just over $100 bucks.

Appreciate your help and feedback.

Appreciate all your help with this one. New cable is in and steering is nice and easy. Took no more than a hour tops this morning.