Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX Freeboard and Ride

SouthsideBoarder

Thanks for the response Bobby. Really appreciate it.

Will the two be comparable as far as surf wave goes once weighted? Will one be prodominantly better for surfing?

Which one is less likely to take water over the back corner? I'm guessing from your response the Vride will be less likely as the VTX has less freeboard.

Edited by SouthsideBoarder

I have a lot of surf expierience behind the VTX and will say I have never taken water over the rear corner. Over the bow.....different story. I would say with the right setup the VTX is great little surf boat. I run a lot of weight and its pretty dialed. The ride series is decent also, but I give the slight edge to the VTX as far as surf wakes go. Guess it just depends on how good of a driver you are.

Is one that much better surf wise than the other? Or is it splitting hairs wave quality wise?

Trying to see whether or not to justify the 10K price difference.

I can't speak for the VTX at all. Now the V-Ride I have one. Same as Bobby never the back corner the bow I never have but on a rough day I would say no more than 250lb in the bow surfing that is.

Little back ground I started off surfing with wedge down, 1,100 full Surf side (about 900lb) all it will hold, 400 on surf side and 400 up front, 1235 prop but you better know how to drive or you could tip the bow. Now that I have had the time to dial it in I ride 1,100 surf side (same about 900lb full), wedge down, a 400 sack in the floor behind the drives seat like this / the sack is always pointed toward the surf side, no weight in the bow. If I have people in the boat I take a little out of the 1,100 as needed. The bow rides a little high but not bad and I don't have to worry at all about the bow going under water. The wake remind me of a LSV not as nice but same shape. Now if I want it a little more steep I just take weight out of the 400lb sack.

I put down my deposit and then the dealer received another 07 VTX that is super clean. Indecisive and want this to purchase to last a long time without regrets and covering the bases. I appreciate the responses and sorry for taking up more of you guy's time.

I remember from Bobby's posts in my other thread that he has all his ballast hidden for surfing. Any chance that can be done on the Vride? Do people do that themselves or have a dealer plumb it in?

Sorry, on both the ways above. I had the 500lb center ballast full (factory under floor) just forgot when I was typing. You can add or dealer can add some more ballast. Some have factory ballast in the back depending on what year it maybe under the floor or on top some have bow ballast factory also. On the V-ride you can have a good surf wake with it all hidden but for a great wake I say you need to add a 400lb to the floor on top in the center.

man, if you really want a SURF boat, I'll go back to saying that the vlx (I know, I know, throwing a pear into this comparison of apples and oranges) is the way to go over either the vride or vtx.

I'd love a VLX, but I am impatient and have not seen anything I really like (really clean) in my area for $40k or under, I really do not want to be boatless for any part of the summer. I also have read that the VTX is a great crossover boat, and the Vride is "fairly close" to a crossover (for that era hull) as we like to ski as well. I like to wakeboard and have read the Vride wakeboard wake is better than the VTX. Unless I could find a cheap VLX on a diamond hull. Correct me if I'm totally wrong.

Is the vtx on the diamond hull? If so it's going to ski the best. We don't ski but I got a "meh" review of the ski wake of our vride from friends who had (at the time) an 03 lsv (to add a pineapple to the comparison) which had the diamond hull. So I know even a bigger boat with diamond will ski better than a vride.

And looking at bobby bright's surf wake from the vtx you can get a good wave. We could get an "OK" wave from the vride but not fantastic.

this is a co-worker's vlx (wake) that just went up yesterday... http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/3638620376.html

If skiing is more important than surfing, go diamond vtx for sure. If surfing is more important, I'd rather have a vlx with it's room and freeboard over either a vride or a vtx. A diamond hulled vlx sounds like the perfect fit, but those are rarer for sure.

Edited by shawndoggy

I've seen a VLX on diamond in my price range but it has not had any love from the previous owner. Lots of scratches and gouges in the hull.

This is the hard part which makes me so indecisive. I have never surfed before, but think I may fall in love with it. I do enjoy recreational slalom on those calm glassy summer nights. So difficult to compromise not knowing if one is going to hook me more. I like the cheaper price of the Vride, but the looks of the VTX. I also want to be content with my purchase for a while.

I believe I have read that the Vride wakeboard wake is better than the VTX. Is this the case?

Dude, at this point you need to get out and water test the boats. Nobody minds helping out a fellow crew member, but you keep going around in circles with your debates. The VTX is the best crossover (does everything fairly well) of every thing you listed, but take your own word for it instead of everyone else's. Strap on the dry suit and go spend some time in them all. You will know what one you like best after your all done. Nobody can tell you what will work best for you,except you.

Edited by Bobby Bright
  • Like 2