Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me pick 2 economical AGM's for under the observer seat and a charger

Nitrousbird

I've got some Wally-world special the previous owner put in the boat prior to us buying it. Last spring I got them to warranty replace it (bit of a hassle but free > buying a new battery); just some cheapy wet-cell that is in the rear locker. I can't recall off the top of my head what size of battery it is, but probably a Group 31 or 34 - not that it matters since I'm pulling that and using it for my sump pump battery backup in the house.

I want to do two batteries under the observer seat, as we don't really utilize that for storage. Power wise, the current battery was more than enough for our needs. I'm upgrading amps a bit this season, so I'll be running two class D amps (Polk D4000.4 and D5000.5). Alternator rebuilt last year, around 54amp tested output if I recall correctly. We will run the stereo for hours with the boat off but usually aren't blasting it so drain isn't a big concern. I'm more interested in a 2nd battery for emergencies and to ensure I never run out of juice out on the water. Charger is more to ensure the batteries stay well cared for.

Boat is trailered to/from the water (we only live 3 minutes away) and is always on the charger when not in use - currently just keep it on a small Battery Tender. Only time it wouldn't get a charge would be when we take a week lakehouse vacation where the boat stays in the water and we don't have power at the dock.

So what economical AGM will fit under the seats and what economical charger should I match to it? I figure I'll just install a Perko and switch from battery 1 to battery 2 for each outting to keep the wear even.

http://www.remybattery.com/deka-intimidator/9a34m-ct-agm-battery.aspx

Don't know what you consider economical but I am using these. They are about $60 cheaper than the ones with the "intimidator" stickers on them. Shipping was about $20 per battery if I remember correctly.I have only had them for one season but so far so good. They fit nicely under the seats. I ended up buying a third just to be safe. I was using Optimas before and these are working much better, even with the upgraded system.

For a charger I am using a ProMariner ProSport. They are around $100 on Ebay

I was going to suggest that Deka 9a34m - I am able to get them locally from the dist. for about 136 a battery. Identical specs to the Optima Blue 34m.

That copper top posted at Remy is a Deka 9a34m that was sold under the duracell label.

Nirtous - if you have a sams club nearby, they have best deals on optimas and also have an energizer AGM that looks to be a Deka battery as well. It was a group 31 battery for 160 bucks and it has the ah of 2 optima 34's.

Height is going to be your concern...if you can the bigger 31 - I'd do one of thoses.

As far as chargers go - get a pro mariner and be done. If you go out back to back days then get one with 10amp plus per charge lead. If you go out once a week like I used to, you can get awat with a low amperage charger like 6 amp. I charged 3 optima blue on a 6 amp dual pro charger and they lasted 6 seasons. IMO - charging should be like bbq...low and slow. The hotter the battery or meat gets - the quicker you dry it out.

It's the staged voltage that is what you want in a smart charger

Edited by Murphy8166

My basic dimensions are 15" width, 29" length, and 8.5" height. Now these numbers are a bit flexible depending on how they are positioned under the observer seat, other than the height which is pretty fixed.

A Group 31 would fit under the seat on its side and to do two would use up the entire compartment. Two 34M batteries would fit the nicest, as they could be tucked side-by-side and still leave useful storage under the observer seat. I am currently running a Group 29.