Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Lift & Canopy With Best Protection - Tower Up

TLfromMI

I have a 23' Malibu Ride with G3 tower. I want an power vertical boat lift with canopy that will provide good protection to the boat while leaving the tower up. I don't want to cover my boat. I have seen the Touchless Cover, however, this is out of my price range. Please share your experiences with lift / canopy combinations that will meet my need. I am currently considering the Floe lift with canopy extentions and the Hewitt lift with wakeboard tower canopy. I'd like to be sure that I won't have to cover my boat before being disapointed the first time it rains. Thanks in advance for you help.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what you want is going to work out in reality... Once you put up a canopy, spiders have a structure to spin their webs both on the canopy and between the canopy and the boat tower... The spiders didn't arrive on the scene at our dock until the canopy cover went up, but those little buggers showed up fast once I put up the canopy. I'm in the Pacific NW on a residential lake. If I don't put the cover on my boat (even though it sits on a lift under a canopy cover), I'll end up with spider crap all over it after just one night. I was under the same illusion as you that I wouldn't have to put the cover on my boat each night. I quickly learned that wasn't going to happen. The spider poop is messy!

I have since learned to spray bug spray around the canopy posts and the inside edge of the canopy once a month during the summer. This helps a lot, but is not a perfect solution. I don't really like spraying that stuff, but the spider webs and spider poop are even worse.

Good luck!

Edited by Cory

The reality is the canopy will keep your boat dry and for the most part the sun off (depending on how you face). The bugs and pollen is another issue. If you want to keep your boat clean, you need to cover it. I purchased a cheap canvas cover with elastic for my boat that sits under a canopy. It quickly pulls over the boat and this has worked pretty well. I cover it during the spring and especially when gone for long periods of time (cabin boat). I'm considering the touchless cover but I think it doesn't solve the bug or pollen problem.

Will look like crap quickly if not covered even if under a canopy/roof. I've got a covered dock and use a stock canvas cover on my 247 but may look at a cover by worldsbestboatcover.com that makes taking on/off easier than standard cover and also protects down the sides etc. Might not work with all docks, but worth looking at. It's pretty cool concept and about half the cost or less of the touchless which wouldn't work for me given spiders/dirt dobbers etc.

Edited by jrz1

Been there, I ordered a Hewitt wakeboard tower canopy and put it on a hydraulic lift from captains choice out in Lansing. Cant beat it, I measured it precisely to make sure the boat all the way up is covered upto the rub rail. Never had to cover it again since.

Seeing you have a 23' boat too, I would go with a 30' canopy with the bracing (you will need it for the front of the canopy frame since its so extended). This will keep the boat totally out of the elements and you can purchase the mesh shelf for the front of the canopy frame for all your water toys, tubes, etc.

Mike at Full Service Marine took care of everything for me and did it much cheaper than I could do it...

Been there, I ordered a Hewitt wakeboard tower canopy and put it on a hydraulic lift from captains choice out in Lansing. Cant beat it, I measured it precisely to make sure the boat all the way up is covered upto the rub rail. Never had to cover it again since.

Seeing you have a 23' boat too, I would go with a 30' canopy with the bracing (you will need it for the front of the canopy frame since its so extended). This will keep the boat totally out of the elements and you can purchase the mesh shelf for the front of the canopy frame for all your water toys, tubes, etc.

Mike at Full Service Marine took care of everything for me and did it much cheaper than I could do it...

MichLivin,

Do you have any photos of your boat under the canopy from last season? Is 30' canopy really necessary? I was told I only needed a 26' canopy to do the job. I was thinking of the mesh storage shelf and now that you mention storing tube up there I will get it for sure.

Thanks,

Tony

Edited by TLfromMI

I don't think you'd need the 30', I have a 21VLX and I have the 26' canopy " 1ft for the rounded corners on the front and back. Each is 6", thus an extra foot. I have way more room than I need, but I did it planning on if I ever upgrade to a 23VLX. Spider webs are a pain in the a** on the tower and around the tower speakers. I bought the canopy skirts though, to stop the sideways rain that used to get everything soaked in a good storm. http://www.canopyskirts.com/

I shorestation with a standard length canopy, and unless I drop the tower (which I do on occasion), a windy storm will soak the boat. I second the spider problem theory too, they love it under the canopy. One other thing to note, with a canopy, the inside of your boat doesn't tend to dry out. We typically have a full crew of 4-8 kids, they are in and out of the water all day. When we come in at night, I wipe it down, but the carpet is still wet. The next day you end up with a musty smell, it is worse if I cover it. Without the canopy the sun would tend to dry it out.

Good Luck