Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine cover open or closed when storing ?

We've recently brought a 02 RLX and due to not fitting in our home garage, we have it at secure

garaging at the lake. Should the engine cover be left closed, slightly open or fully open ?

I'm concerned about condensation. The engine cover has sound insulation and I'm worried the heat

of the engine will keep it all warm for hours after a run but then cause condensation as it

cools.

Our previous boat was smaller, kept in home garage and I always had the engine cover slightly

open to allow heat to excape following any run and to allow air circulation.

Our previous boat was smaller, kept in home garage and I always had the engine cover slightly

open to allow heat to excape following any run and to allow air circulation.

didn't you just answer your own question?

I should have described more. Difference is my garage was always fairly constant temp due to concrete construction. The lake storage is a tin shed and therefore prone to temp change.

I keep mine closed so the varmits don't eat the wiring. Even with the cover closed one somehow managed to find its way in and build a nest on the intake manifold last winter season.

in winter storage i leave it wide open (with dryer sheets all over the place, supposedly this helps keep out the carmits - stored in a barn in a field, and haven't had a problem in many years).

when on the lift in the summer, a 4x4 props it enough for proper ventilation.

Ventilated it is then. I like the idea of simply removing the cup holders however I'll probably prop to slightly open too.

Off season I too use the Bounce drier sheets, and a block of wood under the hatch, plus the rear of my motor cover has the 1" X 8" vent opening above the cup holders.

Edited by doughickey