Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Recommendations for wiring speakers in RLXi (2007)

Punyelroo

Hi,

I have a RLXI 2007 which has the Sony head end, and the standard 4 speakers in the dash and rear driven straight off the head unit.

I want to install some tower speakers and have an amp I can use for that segment. So, I'm not sure of the best working logic for this scenario....

The head unit has the standard 52w x 4 front/rear line out...

I'm theorising I need to be able to adjust the levels into the tower speakers / amp to control them seperately (maybe with an LC-1 or similar) but other than that are there 'accepted' wiring methods typically used?

Appreciate any thoughts !

Cheers

Punyleroo

Okay, the LC-1 will only influence the tower. And it is redundant with the source unit fader. You can use the LC-1 to fully cut or boost the tower. So full control for one tower zone.

The remaining issue is that you cannot fully fade away from all the interior speakers. As you fully fade toward the tower, only one pair of in-boat speakers is attenuated/cut, and the other in-boat set is unaffected and remains on. You can supplement the fader and LC-1 with a simple DPST switch to cut off one pair of in-boat speakers allowing the fader to eliminate the other pair. Now you have full dual zone control. This could be a short or long term solution.

The other alternative is to add a small external amplifier for the in-boat speakers so the fader alone provides full dual zone control. A 2-channel amplifier would do it. A 4-channel amplifer would allow you to gain the dash and rear cockpit speakers separately to offset the positional advantage of the higher and forward dash speakers.

David