Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rockford Fosgate punch 400.4 for 6 speakers?

wakesetter8796

Currently have a 400.2 powering 4 interior speakers. We are thinking of putting 2 more in the bow and switching to a 400.4. Would this work alright? How many watts would each speaker receive? They are the stock Rockford fosgate from 07-08.

Thanks.

I maybe off on this but if I understand right the speakers you add makes it just splits the watts. That amps (P400.2) bridged is 400RMS at 4 ohms so divided by 6 you get 66 RMS per and they are rated for 65-75RMS so I would say yes but you are pushing it. I like my inside speaker a little less than my tower. Mine is adjusted by my amp I just took a little off the amp for the inside speaker. So if you are like me the set up may work out great.

Edited by Bradley Thornton

Currently have a 400.2 powering 4 interior speakers. We are thinking of putting 2 more in the bow and switching to a 400.4. Would this work alright? How many watts would each speaker receive? They are the stock Rockford fosgate from 07-08.

Thanks.

If its the Punch series P400.4, it delivers 50W rms x 4 @ 4 ohm, 100W rms x 4 @ 2 ohm and 200W x 2 in bridge mode @ 4 ohm. With 6 speakers, it will deliver 50W to each with a single speaker wired to chnls 1 and 2, then a pair wired parallel to chnl 3 and the 3rd pair wired in parallel to chnl 4. If your boat has dash mounted speakers, I would probably wire them to chnls 1 and 2, the pair the bow and aft on the other 2 chnls. This allows you to gain down the dash speakers a little.

And yes it is the punch 400-4 amp. Also does anyone know if $170 brand new is a good deal for that amp? Anyone know of one cheaper? How much would you expect I could get out of the 400.2? Hardly used. Maybe 15 times max.

The only ideal way to wire 6 4 ohm speakers to a 2 chnl amp would be to wire 3 in series on one chnl and the other 3 in series on the other. This allows the 3 to share the power equally. Down side, is, this may drop the power to each way to low and their output will be poor. Now, if the amp is 1 ohm stable, and not many stereo amps are, you could wire the 3 per chnl in parallel for a 1.33 ohm load. This would work.

• Like 1

Wakesetter, I have a RF P450.4 that I can sell you. It came out of my 2006 V-ride. It works great and will have a bit more power than the 400.4. It's about 5 years old but only slightly used. There was nothing wrong with it when I pulled it......just wanted to replace it with 2 Polk PA 500.4's. I added 2 pair of in-boat speakers so I wanted all speakers (4 pair) to be driven by the same type amp. Make me an offer.

And yes it is the punch 400-4 amp. Also does anyone know if $170 brand new is a good deal for that amp? Anyone know of one cheaper? How much would you expect I could get out of the 400.2? Hardly used. Maybe 15 times max.

That's not a good deal. Sonic Electronics has the same amp for $150 shipped:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34761_Rockford-Fosgate-R400-4D.html

Finding those amps new on eBay for about $133 as well.

Wakesetter, I have a RF P450.4 that I can sell you. It came out of my 2006 V-ride. It works great and will have a bit more power than the 400.4. It's about 5 years old but only slightly used. There was nothing wrong with it when I pulled it......just wanted to replace it with 2 Polk PA 500.4's. I added 2 pair of in-boat speakers so I wanted all speakers (4 pair) to be driven by the same type amp. Make me an offer.

PM sent.