Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Change Pumps

Hammertime

I used the drill pump attachment last season. I don't recommend it. First, the suction is just o.k. It requires both portable batteries on my drill to complete all three extracts. Second, it can be a bit of a challenge to keep both inbound and outbound hoses in place. You need one hand for the drill and one to hold the pump. If you're not careful, this can make a mess. You certainly don't want to sling oil around the boat interior, by letting the pump slip in your hand.. However, it is a bit cheaper way to go than most other options.

Thanks for the recommendations of what works.

I do agree I had an extra set of hands to feed the hose while I drilled and held the pump, not an easy 1 person job...

I usually do what Ndwag does and bought a simple hand pump at NAPA for $10 for the tranny fluid. Engine oil has never been an issue because I run her up to temp, pull it out of the water and directly to the garage for a drain. Ramp is only 100 yards from the garage, so it works well for me. However, the mityvac looks like a winner for many applications and just may be worth the $85 to have one laying around.

After a day on the lake I just drain through the garden hose and finish the next day or a few hours after. Don't want to remove cold oil it takes too long and secondly if the engine is hot I don't want to replace the filter and drop it from being too hot. I bet you can get an extension that screws into the garden hose if it's too short.

I use a turkey baster to drain the tranny fluid.

After a day on the lake I just drain through the garden hose and finish the next day or a few hours after. Don't want to remove cold oil it takes too long and secondly if the engine is hot I don't want to replace the filter and drop it from being too hot. I bet you can get an extension that screws into the garden hose if it's too short.

I use a turkey baster to drain the tranny fluid.

How long does it take to drain the transmission with a turkey baster?

On a side note, your avatar frightens me

How long does it take to drain the transmission with a turkey baster?

On a side note, your avatar frightens me

Usually complete in an hour...or so. Hard to say as it's always couple with impeller change out.

lol, well it is unusual.

I use a turkey baster for tranny as well. Gets at least a quart out. It amazes me how clean the tranny fluid always is, but at +/- $3-quart, pretty tough to argue against changing it each year.

got it. thank you guys. I trailer my boat to and from the lake every time. So I will be able to change fluids on the trailer. Thank you.

I can kind of put together what you are saying. Do you have any links to documentation I can read?

Wakedncsu, sorry for the delay....I somehow skipped over this question when re-visiting this thread days ago. I don't know of any documenation for this setup. Just kinda thought it up in my head. The refer compressor is the same one I use for doing automotive A/C work. I didn't want to suck dirty oil into it so I thought I'd use some sort of vacuum medium (if you will) between the pump and the oil sorce. I tried a number of different containers before going with PVC. PVC works good because it doesn't collapse under the pump's vacuum. This system gets the oil out quickly......hot or cold!

Edited by nuttyskier2002