Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Change Pumps

Hammertime

OK guys, it's time for me to get my own oil change pump and I could use some recommendations as to what you like and why.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This is the method I use.......find and old refrigerator and remove the compressor. Should be able to get one pretty cheap. If you already have an A/C vacuum pump you can use that too. Get a piece of PCV pipe (say 4" in diameter X 2' long......this will hold just over 5 quarts) and cap both ends. Use PVC glue on the caps. Get a couple of plumbing fittings (1/4" NPT X 1/4" barbed will do). Drill and tap holes into one of the end caps glued to the PVC pipe.....then thread the fittings in. Make sure you get an air tight seal on the threads. Connect the inlet of your vacuum pump/compressor to one of the fittings via a length of vacuum hose. The other fitting will have another vacuum hose used to draw the used oil into the PVC pipe. The PVC pipe serves as a holding tank. Make sure it stays in the vertical position (closed end down....fittings up) The oil never gets to the vacuum pump as long as you don't let the pipe get full (or let it fall over). If your boat has a drain hose already connected to the oil pan.....you can connect to it to speed oil transfer. This has worked great for me.

I use the Bigboy Topsider. Pretty simple in design and handy for many things automotive. About 20-30 pumps and that creates enough vacuum to drain the engine quickly, warm or cold.

I used to have a set up like nutty skier using a paint bucket for the catch and a shop vac to draw with. (you have to re-enforce the internals of the bucket as it will collapse, I like the idea of the PVC) That worked pretty well, but the tospider is so much more convenient and compact.

I use a Marpac brand fluid extractor with a capacity of 6.9 quarts. It looks similar to a bug (or garden) sprayer. It works very well and makes no mess in the boat. I paid about $80 for it.

Why is just using the oil drain hose not enough? What problem are you guys solving that draining for the hose and then refilling with oil doesn't? I ask because in another month I'll be doing my first oil change on my boat. I didn't know I was going to need more than oil and a filter.

Jeremy

Why is just using the oil drain hose not enough? What problem are you guys solving that draining for the hose and then refilling with oil doesn't? I ask because in another month I'll be doing my first oil change on my boat. I didn't know I was going to need more than oil and a filter.

Jeremy

If your boat is on a lift and you want to change it while on a lift, you'll need a pump. If you change it while it's on the trailer, drain hose works fine, just a little slow.

If your boat is on a lift and you want to change it while on a lift, you'll need a pump. If you change it while it's on the trailer, drain hose works fine, just a little slow.

got it. thank you guys. I trailer my boat to and from the lake every time. So I will be able to change fluids on the trailer. Thank you.

This is the method I use.......find and old refrigerator and remove the compressor. Should be able to get one pretty cheap. If you already have an A/C vacuum pump you can use that too. Get a piece of PCV pipe (say 4" in diameter X 2' long......this will hold just over 5 quarts) and cap both ends. Use PVC glue on the caps. Get a couple of plumbing fittings (1/4" NPT X 1/4" barbed will do). Drill and tap holes into one of the end caps glued to the PVC pipe.....then thread the fittings in. Make sure you get an air tight seal on the threads. Connect the inlet of your vacuum pump/compressor to one of the fittings via a length of vacuum hose. The other fitting will have another vacuum hose used to draw the used oil into the PVC pipe. The PVC pipe serves as a holding tank. Make sure it stays in the vertical position (closed end down....fittings up) The oil never gets to the vacuum pump as long as you don't let the pipe get full (or let it fall over). If your boat has a drain hose already connected to the oil pan.....you can connect to it to speed oil transfer. This has worked great for me.

I can kind of put together what you are saying. Do you have any links to documentation I can read?

Yeap.....the drain hose works well when the oil is warm and you have all day. The pump gets it done in just minutes. And no mess!

Edited by nuttyskier2002

The drain hose on my 2004 VLX is not long enough to reach any through hull fitting. SO, if you plan to drain via the hose, make certain the hose is long enough.

The drain hose on my 2004 VLX is not long enough to reach any through hull fitting. SO, if you plan to drain via the hose, make certain the hose is long enough.

Same problem on my 99 VLX, have to use a pump.

I meant to mention the tranny in my original post. Yes a suction device surely makes this an easy task. I haven't tried using a shop vac with my PVC holding device.....but that just might work. Wasn't sure if it draws enough suction.

Well you guys have definitely gotten the point across...

I didn't think about the transmission. So I will be buying a pump soon seeing as how I need to change fluids in another few weeks once the boat comes out of storage. I didn't know it would be so slow. Why does it take that long to drain?

Well you guys have definitely gotten the point across...

I didn't think about the transmission. So I will be buying a pump soon seeing as how I need to change fluids in another few weeks once the boat comes out of storage. I didn't know it would be so slow. Why does it take that long to drain?

The oil is heavy and thick when cold, warming up the boat to operating temp for a while, on the lake, not in the driveway will make it flow out of that hose 10x's faster. That might not be an option for you though. As said, some kind of suction devise is needed for the vdrive and trans. I bought a $10 pull pump from NAPA and has worked for me.

• Like 1

The oil is heavy and thick when cold, warming up the boat to operating temp for a while, on the lake, not in the driveway will make it flow out of that hose 10x's faster. That might not be an option for you though. As said, some kind of suction devise is needed for the vdrive and trans. I bought a $10 pull pump from NAPA and has worked for me.

like the kind you hook up to a drill? I was wondering if one of those would work.

I use a refrigerant oil pump. Just hook it up to the drain hose and pump it into a bucket. It will also pump out the V drive and trans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203449537/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Drill+pump&storeId=10051#.USwaf3y9KK0

Bought one of these,

Two garden hose nozzels (the ones that come to a point),

And some skinny clear hose,

Worked great on tranny fluid, not sure it'd pull cold engine

Oil tho...very similar to the one above but I'm a cheap a** :)

Edited by t a

I used the drill pump attachment last season. I don't recommend it. First, the suction is just o.k. It requires both portable batteries on my drill to complete all three extracts. Second, it can be a bit of a challenge to keep both inbound and outbound hoses in place. You need one hand for the drill and one to hold the pump. If you're not careful, this can make a mess. You certainly don't want to sling oil around the boat interior, by letting the pump slip in your hand.. However, it is a bit cheaper way to go than most other options.

Thanks for the recommendations of what works.