Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Classic look gas cooker anyone?

eclipsesailing

We have a classic John Alden ketch www.eclipsesailing.gr. We use it for charter and group holidays so I am cooking for clients - which is why I don't want to be messing around with paraffin. Anyone know of anywhere I can get a classic look marine gas cooker? I'd like enamel or brass - stainless steel just doesn't go with the look. I'm despairing of finding anyone anywhere in the world who makes them

You may have to do a custom rework of an older unit. If you can find one you like the looks of you should be able to rebuild it with modern parts and functions to get the performance you desire. I know there are niche companies that do this to antique home units but the market would be so small for marine appliaction that every unit would be a custom build.

Good luck in your search

I thought of that too - I've been on this for weeks :cry: so I rephrase my question - Anyone got a classic look marine cooker that I could rebuild? Someone in another forum pointed me in the direction of some really nice reconditioned classic cookers but not marine.

I'm wondering about enamelling a Taylors stainless steel gas cooker - but does stainless enamel OK? Then you'd have to fit brass handles.... It all turns into a major project. Taylors do a nice paraffin cooker, which is all brass but no one - not even marine gas engineers - seem to know if this could be converted. What do other people with classic yachts do? Surely mine is not a unique problem?

Doesn't look like you have a ton of room, so I assume portable and that you're using propane? I would think the cheapest and quickest route is to take one of these or these and just get the outer ring electroplated with a brass or bronze finish? You could of course go up in size or quality if needed.

Or are you thinking more like this? Just a thought. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Edited by formulaben

It's a 45ft boat, so - as much room as in any other galley. Any standard marine cooker would be fine - but not stainless steel