Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Picked up new 2013 - Bluetooth problems/any advice?

daylorb

So I picked up my new 2013 LSV. Love the boat - feels like a massive fit and finish upgrade over my 05 Enzo. One little nit-pick though, the Bluetooth operation is really annoying. The dealer says every time I want to reconnect to completely power down the boat, have bluetooth off and both device and stereo, power everything back up, then connect.

This worked at first - connected this way several times, now it doesn't seem to want to work. Any advice out there? It is the Rockford/fosgate head unit.

I'll live with it - but if I were Malibu this would be pretty embarassing to me. I picked up a Kia rental car in Ohare this fall and seamlessly connected via bluetooth all weekend long with no issues. You'd think the stereo in a $100K boat would at least rival a $15K Kia! Ironically I think Kia actually uses RF gear in some upgraded factory systems, not certain though.

This weekend, I was at the boat show and spoke with an Electrical Engineer from Malibu about this new feature and testing it out on a new 24MXZ and I specifically asked about this being an issue. The engineer recommended to either a). contact Malibu Customer Service or B). contact your dealer and have them provide you with the latest update to the system. It seemed as if the team was continuing to work on updating the software as boats are being built. This, for some, can be a problem but from my perspective I would not want to have a '13 that was purchased at the beginning of the year without bluetooth to find out they are making the middle of the year models with it only because of an update issue. Or, to know I am stuck with the software that came with my boat. Think of the advancements that are made to iOS systems shortly after they launch a new update.

Congrats on the new boat! Summer is soon to be here!

This weekend, I was at the boat show and spoke with an Electrical Engineer from Malibu about this new feature and testing it out on a new 24MXZ and I specifically asked about this being an issue. The engineer recommended to either a). contact Malibu Customer Service or B). contact your dealer and have them provide you with the latest update to the system. It seemed as if the team was continuing to work on updating the software as boats are being built. This, for some, can be a problem but from my perspective I would not want to have a '13 that was purchased at the beginning of the year without bluetooth to find out they are making the middle of the year models with it only because of an update issue. Or, to know I am stuck with the software that came with my boat. Think of the advancements that are made to iOS systems shortly after they launch a new update.

Congrats on the new boat! Summer is soon to be here!

I agree - the software update should be relatively easy to install - there are multiple usb inputs on the system. Amazed they didn't get this software correct the first time though. I'd understand bluetooth issues in 2004, even in 2008, but since then this technology has largely been figured out. I have bluetooth in every car, on multiple headsets, on my printer, hook up to it on rental cars - all pretty smooth.

Its a bit of a goofy set up how Malibu had done the Bluetooth, the way it is wired it almost appears to be an after thought. Likely they will improve on version 1 next year!

This thing better work, or I'm going to be flaming pissed!!! Malibu screwed me over on my '08 stereo--the USB port on '08 models will not connect to an iPhone or anything newer than the earliest of iPods. They never did fix the problem and I was left feeling like they lied to me in the marketing of their stereo. There is a picture in the 2008 catalog that clearly shows an iPod connected via the USB port.

If they screw me a second time on the stereo I'm going to be writing negative posts on here!!!

My new VLX has a build date of late March and I'm getting the mobile device gateway. Do you think it will be fixed by then?

Edited by Cory

When I was at the boat show, they had the stereos powered up and I tried to connect my iPhone to a couple of the boats without success. I wasn't able to even connect with one boat, while I was able to connect to the other boat, but could not get the boat to play music from my phone. I'm starting to get a bad deva vu feeling.

My son has the I-phone 5 and was able to hook up ver quickly to the stereo via the bluetooth on our 2013 23 LSV. We tried it several times at the dealer with no issues. Im sure Malibu will correct any issues, if there are any. I can see at a boat show there may be issues with so many trying to link at the same time.

I didn’t take a lot of time to look at the Bluetooth, but was able to connect with no issues. I gave my boat a BT name in setup and figured out you need to have the HU on Aux input to stream music. The next I powered up the boat it recognized my device, but I had to accept the request to connect. If there are updates to the BT I assume Medallion will provide it to Malibu, since perfect-pull is their system.

if it don't work get a $27.00 bluetooth puck and plug it in the usb or aux port. MDC (mobile device gateway) is a very expensive option just for bluetooth music streaming. If you're going to take full advantage of perfect pull (is it REALLY that big of a deal to ask your buddies what and where they want ballast?) then MDC the way to go I guess, but if you just wnat to play music wirelessly why not do it cheaper and using reliable methods?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=817413&Q=&is=REG&A=details

if it don't work get a $27.00 bluetooth puck and plug it in the usb or aux port. MDC (mobile device gateway) is a very expensive option just for bluetooth music streaming. If you're going to take full advantage of perfect pull (is it REALLY that big of a deal to ask your buddies what and where they want ballast?) then MDC the way to go I guess, but if you just wnat to play music wirelessly why not do it cheaper and using reliable methods?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=817413&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Those device often have a hum if they are charging while operating. I'm not sure if that one would or would not, but my experience in boats and cars is they usually do. If it can't be left plugged in to a USB port of the boat when operating, I think I would forget to charge it between uses.

Those device often have a hum if they are charging while operating. I'm not sure if that one would or would not, but my experience in boats and cars is they usually do. If it can't be left plugged in to a USB port of the boat when operating, I think I would forget to charge it between uses.

That was my issue exactly....

Is your experience with a Bluetooth device that is rebroadcasting to the car's FM radio (agree with low fidelity and hum), or is it with a puck that connects to a home stereo RCA input? I've had very good luck with the latter.

When I charge my iPod or iphone in the boat via the USB and listen to music through the 3mm mini jacket at the same time, I get a hum. If I unplug the USB, the hum disappears.

Edited by Cory

When I charge my iPod or iphone in the boat via the USB and listen to music through the 3mm mini jacket at the same time, I get a hum. If I unplug the USB, the hum disappears.

so is that why you say some of the BT players have the the hum as well or do you have experience with them humming? My experience is just that BT not quite the quality that a hardline is but no hum.

I don't have any experience with portable BT devices per se. I know the built-in BT (MS Sync) in my 2011 F-150 sounds great. My statement was a general statement about portable devices that charge via USB or a 12V accessory socket while providing music to a stereo through the mini jack--they seem to get a hum. It is more pronounced in my boat than my truck--I think because there is relatively little metal bulk to act as ground. For me, this happens with both my iPod and my iPhone. I've also heard this in friends' vehicles.

I'm assuming that the BT puck would operate by charging via a USB cord (either directly in the the USB port of the boat or using a USB adapter in the 12V socket) and the music is provided via a mini-jack or RCA cables to the stereo.

Edited by Cory
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought that the malibu bluetooth gateway allowed ap control of ballast functions, not just music streaming. Not sure how plugging the fosgate dongle into the black box would tell the ballast pumps to go on and off.

Probably right. Seems like this would be a good solution for someone who doesn't want to pay for the mobile device gateway ($250). It's only $85 and it integrates with the OEM stereo.

Edited by Cory

That bluetooth adaptor will only work with the BRAND NEW Black box from Fosgate. Part# RFX5000, was just released a week or two ago. I would bet that all the box's still in use are the RFX3000 and have no provision for this add-on . Looks like it should be a direct p-n-p if you wanna pony up the 350 or so and swap it in to the older boats though.

I bet it will be a month or two before these make it in to the production boats.

I JUST got my 2013 as well. I see similar problems. What a disgrace. You can buy high end SOC Bluetooth chips and firmware for next to nothing as a manufacturer. Sigh. Here's what I see happening.

1. Mobile device gateway
    1. Iphone 5 will not pair, running IOS 6.1.3 (10B329) unless the following procedure is followed
      1. Turn on bluetooth on the boat, after the boat is on
      2. Try to pair phone by selecting Mobile Device Gateway. Wait for it to fail.
      3. Turn off boat, leave the phone on the same screen
      4. Turn the boat back on, then it will pair
      5. Be pissed at your very expensive boat not having the same feature that a Kia has, contact dealer, rage about it online :-)

is there already a saved phone in the mobile device gateway or is there a way to clear saved phones?

I had this same "problem" in my car after upgrading phones where it would only connect manually and not automatically. I figured it was an iphone5 problem when really it was an iphone5 owner problem because I didn't RTFM and see that I didn't just need to pair, I needed to set the stereo to see the iphone5 as the primary phone.

Just a thought.

is there already a saved phone in the mobile device gateway or is there a way to clear saved phones?

I had this same "problem" in my car after upgrading phones where it would only connect manually and not automatically. I figured it was an iphone5 problem when really it was an iphone5 owner problem because I didn't RTFM and see that I didn't just need to pair, I needed to set the stereo to see the iphone5 as the primary phone.

Just a thought.

I played with it and didn't see that option. I'll take a look and RTFM tonight though to double check.