Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Better Ski Wake - VLX Diamond or LSV Diamond

gferl

Just wondering how comparable the ski wake is between the vlx diamond hull and the lsv diamond hull. I currently have a 2012 vlx w/ diamond. I might be upgrading to a 2013 to get the surfgate and just taking a pause to consider the lsv w/ diamond. Me and my kids still like to ski. I used to ski courses in earlier years and still enjoy aggressive open water slalom skiing. When we hit the water we typically do 1/3 ski, 1/3 wakeboard and 1/3 surfing. The vlx w/ diamond has been a very good wake for me considering we can wakeboard and surf.

Anyone have an lsv w/ diamond that can chime in?

Thanks for any feedback!!

Gabe

There are about 900 previous posts on the same topic. Use the search function so we don't have to cover this 901 times please. By the way , welcome to the crew, the search feature actuall works pretty well on this site.

Short answer : If you want to ski and have the option, get the Diamond hull.

• Like 2

I got mine in early winter. Haven't had a chance to get behind it yet, but break in rides look like it would be plenty flat for recreational skiing. I had VLX with wake hull before and it was a little difficult to ski behind, IMO. Too much ramp for me.

There are about 900 previous posts on the same topic. Use the search function so we don't have to cover this 901 times please. By the way , welcome to the crew, the search feature actuall works pretty well on this site.

Short answer : If you want to ski and have the option, get the Diamond hull.

I think you must have misread... This is not a Diamond VS. Wake hull question.. He plans on getting Diamond regardless. But is the LSV as good or better than the VLX for skiing...

I am not that good at the search function either but I couldn't find the answer...

I have the LSV with the diamond hull and like the ski wake. Haven't been behind a VLX with diamond hull so unfortunately I don't have a comparison there. Here are a couple pictures of my wake at around 32 mph.

DSC_8201.jpg

DSC_0841.jpg

There is a slight hump at certain line lengths depending on speed but the wake itself seems much softer than the other V-Drives I have skied behind.

Kris

Thanks BSUBU_Kris!! That sounds very similar and looks very similar to my VLX diamond hull wake behind you. The VLX still has a slight bump also but is very soft like you said. I had a Supra before this with a wake hull and was un-skiable for me. It sounds like the VLX and LSV 23 have very similar wakes.

I will see if anyone else has been behind both and chimes in.

I think you must have misread... This is not a Diamond VS. Wake hull question.. He plans on getting Diamond regardless. But is the LSV as good or better than the VLX for skiing...

I am not that good at the search function either but I couldn't find the answer...

You are right, sorry about that. Obviously the smaller the boat the better/flatter the ski wake will be. Beam is the same on the newer ones.

ok...went with the 2013 ws 23 LSV w/ diamond hull. My wife fell in love with the increased size over the vlx...she let me put in the 427 LS3 motor (450HP). So, I can only hope the skiing is nearly as good as my 2012 vlx with diamond hull. Thanks for everyone's input. If anyone still has any input I would greatly appreciate any insights.

ok...went with the 2013 ws 23 LSV w/ diamond hull. My wife fell in love with the increased size over the vlx...she let me put in the 427 LS3 motor (450HP). So, I can only hope the skiing is nearly as good as my 2012 vlx with diamond hull. Thanks for everyone's input. If anyone still has any input I would greatly appreciate any insights.

Congrats on an excellent choice. I am literally having the exact same debate in my house: VLX Diamond vs. LSV Diamond. The only difference is my CFO is leaning VLX.

So that begs the question... do you have any pics of your VLX Diamond pulling a skiier at 30mph+? This is likely where I'm headed...

Here is a pic of the wake (33 mph, 15' off). I was really impressed with the wake behind my 2012 VLX w/ diamond hull compared to other v-drives. It was the closest wake I have skied behind compared to a DD. I used to ski a coarse 15 years ago with a MC prostar so I have been on a great weak before. And more recently a friend had a MB sunscape 21 with DD that was VERY good (clean/flat ... just about perfect).

My VLX wake definitely had a bump, but at least it is soft and manageable unlike other V drive boats I have been on. And, considering the VLX was GREAT for wake boarding and surfing it is a very good compromise.

I hope this helps.

post-18138-0-37252500-1361544956_thumb.j