Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hard to see my VLX go... now time to pick something new!

IXFE

I vote for #1, but you cant go wrong with either of them, both are going to look amazing.

Did AWS ever get you a price on the Impeller ballast install? or are you going malibu PnP? I just ordered up my Johnson pumps, after weighing the pro's and con's, the impeller system hands down wins imo.

I vote for #1, but you cant go wrong with either of them, both are going to look amazing.

Did AWS ever get you a price on the Impeller ballast install? or are you going malibu PnP? I just ordered up my Johnson pumps, after weighing the pro's and con's, the impeller system hands down wins imo.

I've been so focused on color, I haven't even asked.

AWS did say something about a "mid-year" improvement Malibu has made to the Plun-N-Play system. I don't know details.

#1 is my vote

Also I didn't read all the middle but I saw some of the debate for Diamond Hull vs Wake Hull. Not sure what you decided but I would strongly encourage going the wake hull route. Regardless of if someone can *tell* the difference in the wakeboard wake doesn't really matter. I wouldn't touch an LSV with a diamond hull. It's a big boat meant for being a wake pig. Any option put on it that caters towards skiing would be a total turn off. In short, I agree it will hurt you resale big time. Secondly, its a 23' big heavy boat. I don't care how much the diamond hull helps for skiing, it can't help that much when you've got all that boat. I could see if you had more of a crossover boat chosen - but this is a wake pig boat. Throwing on options that don't cater to that will certainly hurt you resale wise - if you could even find someone that wanted it.

You mentioned you wonder how many people would even look for it (implying you'd just not mention it and sell it anyway). Do you really want to stoop to that level to misrepresent your boat just to get a sale? I drove half way across the country the last time i picked up a boat. If I drove that far and found out you misrepresented me you'd get your a$$ beat. I wouldn't recommend screwing with people over big money purchases unless you really want to chance having an irate person in front of you? Sounds like a recipe for a broken face and ribs to me. I'd beat your a$$ if you did that to me - no question.

Of these two I like #1 the best, very sharp.

Okay... it's "Decision Day." I have to submit colors & options today.

I'm with you guys on the red accents. That MXZ pic convinced me! So now I have one last request. Vote on one of these two.

silverblackred5_zps2f74fc2d.jpg

silverblackred4_zps19cc3f48.jpg

Edited by Brett B

#1 is my vote

Also I didn't read all the middle but I saw some of the debate for Diamond Hull vs Wake Hull. Not sure what you decided but I would strongly encourage going the wake hull route. Regardless of if someone can *tell* the difference in the wakeboard wake doesn't really matter. I wouldn't touch an LSV with a diamond hull. It's a big boat meant for being a wake pig. Any option put on it that caters towards skiing would be a total turn off. In short, I agree it will hurt you resale big time. Secondly, its a 23' big heavy boat. I don't care how much the diamond hull helps for skiing, it can't help that much when you've got all that boat. I could see if you had more of a crossover boat chosen - but this is a wake pig boat. Throwing on options that don't cater to that will certainly hurt you resale wise - if you could even find someone that wanted it.

You mentioned you wonder how many people would even look for it (implying you'd just not mention it and sell it anyway). Do you really want to stoop to that level to misrepresent your boat just to get a sale? I drove half way across the country the last time i picked up a boat. If I drove that far and found out you misrepresented me you'd get your a$$ beat. I wouldn't recommend screwing with people over big money purchases unless you really want to chance having an irate person in front of you? Sounds like a recipe for a broken face and ribs to me. I'd beat your a$$ if you did that to me - no question.

Actually it helps a ton. Maybe you missed the post where 4 pro riders couldn't tell the diamond from a wake hull and all 4 skiers could. Malibu didn't even offer the wake hull on the 23 originally. PLENTY of takers for those wasn't there? If his wife wants to ski, why not get a diamond?

Second, who said anything about misrepresenting anything? OP certainly didn't.

#1 is my vote

Maybe if you are and educated buyer this is not an issue. You would know what to look for in the differnces between hulls. If you don't know the difference to begin with why the hell would it matter? Porbably won't.

Resorting to "kickin someones a$$" because YOU were undereducated on YOUR purchase isnt going to go very far in court. Not mentioning what hull it has is not a misrepresentation if you never state that it is a wake or diamond hull. If the potential buyer asks..Different story.

Good to know that you would drive "half way across the country" just to kick a seller's "a$$". Does'nt that constitute pre-meditation?

:rofl:

caveat emptor

Edited by Bobby Bright

I'm not a pro, but I could certainly tell the difference between a diamond hull VTX and a wake hull VTX. In fact I think the pros are much better at adjusting to a less-than-ideal wake than a beginner to intermediate rider. Those guys can go big off of pretty much anything. It's not that the diamond hull wake is bad, it just didn't have as nice of a poppy lip at the top as the wake hull does. I ended up having to ride a bit faster and on a shorter line to clear the wake as easily as on the wake hull. Of course riding faster makes the wake smaller and rounds off the lip even more for a given ballast amount as well. I'm not the only one who noticed these differences.

I can see where it makes sense on a crossover like a VTX, but I personally would not buy a VLX or LSV if it had a diamond hull based on my experiences. But then I'm not a skier, or a good wakeboarder for that matter. :lol:

Actually it helps a ton. Maybe you missed the post where 4 pro riders couldn't tell the diamond from a wake hull and all 4 skiers could. Malibu didn't even offer the wake hull on the 23 originally. PLENTY of takers for those wasn't there? If his wife wants to ski, why not get a diamond?

Second, who said anything about misrepresenting anything? OP certainly didn't.

I'm not a pro, but I could certainly tell the difference between a diamond hull VTX and a wake hull VTX. In fact I think the pros are much better at adjusting to a less-than-ideal wake than a beginner to intermediate rider. Those guys can go big off of pretty much anything. It's not that the diamond hull wake is bad, it just didn't have as nice of a poppy lip at the top as the wake hull does. I ended up having to ride a bit faster and on a shorter line to clear the wake as easily as on the wake hull. Of course riding faster makes the wake smaller and rounds off the lip even more for a given ballast amount as well. I'm not the only one who noticed these differences.

I can see where it makes sense on a crossover like a VTX, but I personally would not buy a VLX or LSV if it had a diamond hull based on my experiences. But then I'm not a skier, or a good wakeboarder for that matter. :lol:

Now I've heard it all. Pros are better at adjusting to a "less than ideal" wake than a beginner, as if a diamond hull produces a "less than ideal" wake, and as if the timing of a 900 is easier than a beginner's tindy grab.

If you were not told, and not "looking" for a difference to reassure your inner self, you would not know the difference. This is like some people who get all worked up about one wake being better than another due to 200#s on wakeworld who can't even jump toeside. That said, KEEP THE WIFE HAPPY AS POSSIBLE, it's WELL-WORTH a "rounded lip" on a diamond to keep her happy!

So I feel the need to "defend" my Diamond decision...

First of all, to the guy who wants to beat my a$$, this is a VLX, not an LSV. Not sure if that makes a difference to you, but I figured I'd correct the record.

Next point... I understand the core wakeboarders who say they'd never buy a Diamond. You don't ski... I get it. My wife does, so I have to consider that. I've had three boats in a row that were lousy ski experiences (TWB, F21, VLX wake). Forgive me for wanting to make the experience a little better for her.

Next point... I also understand the resale argument. In some cases, it could bite me. But it could also make me for the guy who wants a Diamond hull. My guess is that the majority don't know the difference, so I'm not too worried about it.

I did my homework guys (beyond this forum), and here are the reasons I got comfortable with the Diamond:

• I talked to Malibu regional sales rep who is a BIG believer in the Diamond. He swears there is no difference at wake and surf speeds. He was in the boat when they did the infamous 4 pro, blind taste test.
  • I talked to long-time Malibu designer/engineer. He swears there is no difference at wake and surf speeds. He said the factory did their own blind taste test with Shapiro and one other pro (the name escapes me), and they couldn't tell the difference. He also added that most folks at the factory order Diamond for their personal boats. As an added bonus, he claims the boat drives and handle much nicer when you are blasting around the lake at 30+mph.
  • I talked to two different dealers here on the west coast who order 100% of their inventory boats with Diamond hull. These guys don't seem to have any trouble staying in business selling these boats... this fact alone alleviated my resale concern. Each of the guys I talked to have Diamond hulls on their personal boats. I identified myself from the beginning as an AWS customer, so these guys had no reason to BS me.

All that said, my dealer told me today that the Diamond aspect may push back my build. I'm not willing to do that, so this all may be academic.

Edited by IXFE

I think you are making the right choice. Especially in our area. With all the boat owners on LO, the majority of them ski (no ballast). So do most of the home owners in the upper Willy.

Having recetly sold my VTX that was probably the #1 most asked question at first contact. " Is it on the diamond hull? " I would say ," No" and thenyou would get the "ahhh" and the conversation was about over at that point.

I have had boats with and with out the diamond hull. My '05 was a diamond hull and I didn't know it untill I got ready to sell it. I was convinced I needed the wake hull for surfing on the next boat. But after looking back, I don't think tht it was much different and after the last process of selling the VTX I think you will be smart in ordering the diamond hull in our area.

I agree with Dave, if you slalom ski often the Diamond seems like the way to go. I am probably 100% sure at my wakeboarding level I would not notice the difference between a wake and diamond hull. As long as the diamond still produces nice clean wakes at all speeds, thats one of the nice features about the VLX, great for all levels of riders. Its good to hear the surf wake is not affected by either hull.

Why would diamond push back a build date? Just roll in the other mold... Perhaps the diamond molds are all in use for other boat builds right now???

I have no idea... the chat with my dealer was short as he was going into another meeting. He sounded as confused as I was. I'm expecting a call back today with more details.

I would bet if you were to take an inventory of the 2012 LSV and VLX's out there that more than 50% are Diamond Hulls. I have had both (2010 & 2012) and I would not order one without the diamond personally.. In fact in my area the Wake Hull was difficult to sell compared to the Diamond hull... I had guys order my exact boat on a Diamond instead of buying my Wake hull boat. And the number 1 Dealer in the World only orders Diamond Hull boat for inventory unless they can 't get any more build slots in the Diamond.

That is why the build may be pushed back... Far more demand for Diamond than Wake... And I sure couldn't tell the difference....