Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Storing your gear

c0ris

Hey,

I'm about to start making some board racks to store all our gear because it's getting a bit out of control. So everyone throw up some pics of how you store your gear and maybe I can get some inspiration.

Cheers

Chris

I made a couple racks that hang from the garage ceiling. I will see if I can get a photo up, but basic description is make a "T" out of 2 pieces of 2x4, reinforce on both sides of joint. Screw in hooks, rods, etc... (Got the rubber coated ladder hooks from Lowes) and hang from ceiling studs. I have 2 of these, depending on space b/t hooks and length you can store a good bit of gear. I have 2x combo sets, 2x slalom skis, wakeboard, life vests and still have one side of one rack free. PM me if you want a photo.

Looks good, I ended up just drawing up a jacket hanging rack, rope hanging hooks and 6 board racks in CAD...gonna send it off to the laser cutters tomorrow

Looks good, I ended up just drawing up a jacket hanging rack, rope hanging hooks and 6 board racks in CAD...gonna send it off to the laser cutters tomorrow

That's not fair.....

Scott

Wanted a storage project that I could do with my son that was an easy job that he could use power tools on. So we used PVC and 2x4s. It worked for the bimini (over the window) also. Went the Lowes shelving route for the rest of the garage which works great for the jackets, bumpers and such.

image_url-14628-1358280083_thumb.jpg

depends what you want to do really, if its cheap for you to use timber and some rubber I would go for it. I work at a steel fabrication shop so its easy and doesnt cost me anything to make fab it from steel and chuck some rubber strips on it... I chuck up some pics of what I've done when I'm home..sharing is caring :biggrin:

basically its a pole to hang all the vests from. approx 1200mm long (yes I work in metric :tease1: ) as well as 5 hook plate for ropes/helmet/stuff and the racks are for 3 kneeboards, 2/3 skates, 2 skis and a couple wakeboards. The possibilities are endless depending on how you want to setup and what gear you've got. This is tailored to fit all our gear in the smallest possible area whilst also still being low enough for the girls to stack even the top rack. I used flats for mounting as the wall I'm mounting to is a solid precast concrete panel.

post-21235-0-61793100-1361153002_thumb.p

Edited by c0ris

locator taps on the end of each rack leg and a locator hole for easy assembly to backing plate. Idea its to chuck a small amount of weld on it and all to paint/powdercoat, rubber strip the top and doneski...

post-21235-0-83435400-1361153621_thumb.p

Wanted a storage project that I could do with my son that was an easy job that he could use power tools on. So we used PVC and 2x4s. It worked for the bimini (over the window) also. Went the Lowes shelving route for the rest of the garage which works great for the jackets, bumpers and such.

image_url-14628-1358280083_thumb.jpg

bimini hooks! That's what I didn't think about....It's on the list! Great idea, probably the biggest pain in the butt for taking up garage space....

Plates ready to picked up from laser cutters tomorrow, bent up some hooks in the workshop, prepped the wall for top coat sealer....

you can see why I need storage area now....garage is getting a bit chaotic...

post-21235-0-47539300-1361585494_thumb.j

post-21235-0-07626400-1361585499_thumb.j

• Like 1

so during the week and made the racks up and painted them....was going to powder coat them but then this whole thing would have cost me more than $0 so I didnt...

pretty happy with the way it turned out....

post-21235-0-05925500-1362204894_thumb.j

post-21235-0-29419300-1362204899_thumb.j

• Like 2

Nice before and after pictures. I wish my garage cleaned up that nicely.

so during the week and made the racks up and painted them....was going to powder coat them but then this whole thing would have cost me more than $0 so I didnt...

pretty happy with the way it turned out....

its a good system if you are handy with steel and have access to laser cutters its straight forward and quick to produce, but if you don't its probably easier for anyone to make out of timber....

having said that if anyone wants one drawn up in CAD I have the plans and can modify them easily to suit any setup...

if anyone wants one drawn up in CAD I have the plans and can modify them easily to suit any setup...

Welcome aboard.

You'll do nicely, here.

• Like 1

I guess I'm just a top bloke? :lol:

On a similar note, does it annoy anyone else that no board rack manufacturers make dual knee board racks? Or combo racks with forks big enough to hold a small child? We'll I eventually got fed up and made my own...

post-21235-0-27192600-1362542324_thumb.p

martinarcher

I guess I'm just a top bloke? :lol:

On a similar note, does it annoy anyone else that no board rack manufacturers make dual knee board racks? Or combo racks with forks big enough to hold a small child? We'll I eventually got fed up and made my own...

Totally! I ended up crumbling and bought the a pair of the Star One surf/ski racks. They hold my kneeboard and the other one hold a pair of surf boards.