Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Center of gravity on a VTX?

flapjack

I know this sounds like a ridiculous question, but where is the center of gravity on my VTX with L96 motor? The lines on my lift cradle are only 10' apart, and I'd like nearly equal tension on the cables.

I was guessing the CG was between the two tires on my extreme trailer, but the tongue weight seems very high (I'm not willing to put it on my wife's bathroom scale).

thanks.

I measured my tongue weight on a bathroom scale at 385lbs. I would say close to the center of where the boat sits between the tires then back a couple inches, I think that would get you close enough... :dontknow:

Thank you very much. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Also, thanks for restoring confidence in my manhood. I thought I was having trouble lifting a couple hundred pounds. :)

In order to have tongue weight, the CG must be in front of the trailer axle(s).

You will be hard pressed to have the rear strap back far enough to equalize the weight, unless you are picking at the transom. If you are slinging the boat, and the strap is in front of the propshaft, then the rear strap will have more of the load.

Good weight distribution on an in-water boat lift has most of the boat hanging off the front.

Peter