Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower Speakers

Rmattajr

Any suggestions on tower speakers? Looking for something not over the top expensive but decent sound. I checked out bakes but wasn't sure where else to look. Used vs new?

Interested in everyone's feedback.

thanks

Need little more info How much of your money do we get to spend. :blush: You want 2 or 4 speaker. What size would you like. Do you want them for the cove, surfing, wake boarding or even just looks. What tower do you have. Do you have any speakers now. Do you already have any amps. If so what is the Type, size, and RMS rating. Would love to help just want to send you in the right direction.

Check out the Wet Sounds pro 80's on sale for 699.00 in white. You could paint them if need be or wrap them in vinyl. It's a TRUE 8" mid driver with a HLCD. For the price and quality, the choice is easy if you ask me. Also they are a proven speaker and company.

Any suggestions on tower speakers? Looking for something not over the top expensive but decent sound. I checked out bakes but wasn't sure where else to look. Used vs new?

Interested in everyone's feedback.

thanks

There are so many options, IMO you need to start with a budget, and need to determine what you want to do with tower speakers, ie, loud enough to wake neighbors, quality music 80 feet to boarder, or just for wakesurfing??

Edited by Dave K

Need little more info How much of your money do we get to spend. :blush: You want 2 or 4 speaker. What size would you like. Do you want them for the cove, surfing, wake boarding or even just looks. What tower do you have. Do you have any speakers now. Do you already have any amps. If so what is the Type, size, and RMS rating. Would love to help just want to send you in the right direction.

Don't want to spend more than $500-600 on two speakers. Hope to use them for skiing, wake boarding or wake surfing. I believe i have a titan tower right now. I do have an amp but not sure the type and size off the top of my head, its older so i may have to upgrade, not a big deal.

Appreciate your help.

@ $600, there's NO WAY you will be able to hear your speakers at wakeboarding distance. No way. Minimum, you are going to need four speakers and 300w to each of them to accomplish that. If that is your real goal, budget about $2k. Believe me, I've tried to do it for less and it really can't be done.

If you just want something that sounds decent in the boat and that you might be able to hear surfing, those exile sxt65q's that DQ links to, along with a ppi p900.4 (bridged) (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_38338_Precision-Power-PPI-P900.4.html) would be about the best you could possibly do and keep the total investment @ $600.

Everything shawndog said! And also hearing at wakeboard speed and wake the neighbors is the same thing! It's 2grand because it takes quality speakers and lots of power to get sound worth hearing back to the rider. Yeah u can go cheaper but all you will be able to do is make out what is being played vs actually hearing it. Plus it will sound like crap in the boat at that volume.

Check this site out.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35893-starone-kicker-km65002-series-horn-system/

Can pick them up cheep and The RMS is very low so you don't need a very big amp.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/8252700/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

For the money you want to spend this is a good deal.

I believe the only way to get good sound at 80' for less is to find some wetsounds used in good condition. With so many boats that go back, used with very little wear can be found. Don't be fooled by car speakers on towers....not near the same. Go listen...

Check this site out.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35893-starone-kicker-km65002-series-horn-system/

Can pick them up cheep and The RMS is very low so you don't need a very big amp.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/8252700/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

For the money you want to spend this is a good deal.

Even if you buy the refurbs, you aren't going to get those into cans and properly power them for $600 or less. Probably closer to $1k all said and done. And even then is a single pair of the kickers (in four cans) enough to HEAR the music at wakeboard range? I doubt it but I've never heard them myself. Edited by shawndoggy

If his amp would do the job he would be a little over a $100 over budget. But you can get much cheeper cans.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Kicker-KMTED-Dual-6.5-Boat-Speaker-Enclosure-12KMTED-12KMTED-Nhttp://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Kicker-KMTED-Dual-6.5-Boat-Speaker-Enclosure-12KMTED-12KMTED-Nhttp://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Kicker-KMTED-Dual-6.5-Boat-Speaker-Enclosure-12KMTED-12KMTED-N

With a little search many of the other forms have talked about the speaker and have most said good thing. I have the XM9s but for his budget looks like this may not be a bad way to go.

Don't want to spend more than $500-600 on two speakers. Hope to use them for skiing, wake boarding or wake surfing. I believe i have a titan tower right now. I do have an amp but not sure the type and size off the top of my head, its older so i may have to upgrade, not a big deal.

Appreciate your help.

Maybe look at Kicker 6500.2 ??

The Exile surf speakers are great, but you will really need 4 of them with at least 100 watts RMS to each to be happy. You can EASILY hear them surfing without cranking them...I've never tried mine wakeboarding as I'm sure my wife would be more than annoyed with the stereo blasting while she is trying to drive the boat. The sound does travel far so I'm sure sure you can hear them @ 80' wakeboarding, but it isn't going to be nearly as loud and proud as a REV 8 or 10 with piles of power to them.

Thanks for all your help.

Do you guys recommend running my 6 in boat speakers through an amp as well? I just don't want to blow them out so not sure if its something i should do. They are stock Alpines i believe. I would also be running them through the Precision Power PPI P900 AMP and likely have the SXT65q speakers on the tower for now.

thoughts? Still somewhat new to the balancing of power through the amp & speakers.

Appreciate it

Edited by Rmattajr

Thanks for all your help.

Do you guys recommend running my 6 in boat speakers through an amp as well? I just don't want to blow them out so not sure if its something i should do. They are stock Alpines i believe. I would also be running them through the Precision Power PPI P900 AMP and likely have the SXT65q speakers on the tower for now.

thoughts? Still somewhat new to the balancing of power through the amp & speakers.

Appreciate it

I would run everything you have through amplifiers, you may actually save the speakers that way when properly tuned right so they are producing clean sound when you're trying to keep up with the rest of your system. Anything powered off the deck will be the weak link in the system.

• Like 2

So I picked up that Precision Power PPI 900 amp. Problem is I bought the exile sxt65 speakers but turns out thee were out of stock so the had to refund me. Any other deals out there? I'm still new to tower speakers so figure a lot of you would know what the good buys are.

Thanks

So I picked up that Precision Power PPI 900 amp. Problem is I bought the exile sxt65 speakers but turns out thee were out of stock so the had to refund me. Any other deals out there? I'm still new to tower speakers so figure a lot of you would know what the good buys are.

Thanks