Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 VTX with Surfgate...

OTN

I test rode one this past weekend.

With stock ballast, the wave was rideable, but not easily so for someone of my size (6'1", 200 lbs). However, it was still better than the stock setup on my 2009 VTX- can't even ride on that setup. After I added weight into my '09 VTX, the surf wake has been great.

My question: Has anyone loaded down a VTX WITH the surfgate? Say, with 750s in both lockers and a bag in front? What's the end result like?

If the wake is as good as they advertise, I'm probably going to make the trade. Would love to hear if someone's done it already, though.

t

I did a demo two weeks ago on a 22MXZ with surfgate and actually brought my surfer to test the wake. With stock ballast three adults on board and me riding, IMO,the surf wake was not as big as I thought it was going to be. My 08 VTX surf wake was so much bigger. Don't get me wrong, the transfer was awesome but I can't justify spending another 40K just for the ability to tranfer and the touchscreen.

I'm a three sport guy and love to surf, so my VTX has been perfect.

I would hate to move up to the 2013 with Surfgate and end up with a surfgate wave that isn't as good as what I can achieve now- this is my concern.

All I have done w mjne is stock but at max wedge I found it easily ridable on a skim or xxx slasher pro. Ill prolly load it up soon tho. It's a better bone stock wave than anything I've been on other than a pro ballasted Enzo 245

I'm riding with ft,center and one rear tank with two 600lb sacs in the rear

That's not really an apples to apples comparison on the MXZ versus VTX. I bet if you put those two 600s in the back of the MXZ it would help a lot. Although it's a heavier boat, it's also got more surface area that needs to be sunk into the water to get a large wave at it. I'm sure both boats produce great waves when properly configured.....

@OTN That's what I'm talking about. I was really considering buying a new rig but after seeing/riding the surfgate, I'm just going to keep my current boat.

Cdoogles- I had a funny feeling someone would bring up the two sacs.... During the demo, three guys at 200+lbs each should be more than my two sacs. When it's just me and the wife, she's about 120lbs and my setup, my surf wake is mid chest high. (I'm 5'8") I also forgot to mention, during the demo, they dropped the wedge and I'm not using my wedge for surf.

From what I have been reading and videos I am looking at, you definitely need 750's in each locker, full hard tank ballast and wedge with SG. I would think the SG wave would be as good or better than your current VTX. I know the VLX wake appears to be MUCH better with SG than I could achieve with my '11 and no SG.

Here is a video of the VTX surfgate, if you called Gerry I am sure he would let you know how it was weighted.

The 22 I rode on, I had that wow feeling just watching the surfgate in action. Looks awesome! Maybe your right, add more weight but really 85+K and still have to add more weight to achieve the desire surf size... I'll pass. Just wished they had the 20MXZ to demo.

OTN- I can only give you my opinion but if you are really thinking about surfgate, go demo it and get some pulls behind it.

I rode for a bit, but they only had factory ballast, no extra bags. Tough to say.

The dealer's ears must of been burning BC they called me like 10mins ago and asked me if I'm ready to take the plunge on a new MXZ. I told him I love the boat and I had some concerns with the surfwake size. He reassured me with my two 600s that the wave would be chest high and they had a 20MXZ available now. Ok it's time to compare apples to apples. I'm going to see if they mind if I bring my sacs for a demo in the 20. Dealer is telling me that the 20 comes stock with 3500lbs ballast. Hmm, my boat stock is 1250 so does that mean,apples to apples, I shouldn't fill my bags? I'll keep y'all updated when I find out.