Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is the 2013 VTX center pylon a gimmick?

flapjack

I'm no short line skier (because of inconsistent skiing conditions, 22 off is a rare occurrence), but I spent some time testriding a 2013 VTX this fall. Here are some observations...

- The VTX wake is bigger than my Response wake. I also think the VTX wake is smoother than the Response wake, but it is more "troughy." You feel the ski drop into the far trough. This is especially apparent at 34.2mph.

- The VTX wake is wider than my Response wake (and every other comp boat I've skied behind through a course). This changes your timing. Even on the center mounted pylon, the wake feels much wider.

I thought the center pylon was going to be a necessity for my family. When the wind cooperates, my wife and I would rather ski the course than any other watersport activity. I was shocked when I moved the rope to the back pylon that the wake quality didn't really change (@34mph). In fact, at 28mph, I think the wake was even better at the back pylon.

Furthermore, tracking doesn't seem to be a problem on the rear pylon.

So... my experience is that the center pylon looks more hard core. It certainly makes it easier for the driver to change rope lengths. I don't think the center pylon helps the skier that much. (I give that it might make gate timing closer to a comp boat)

To be fair, the VTX is a "crossover" boat. It is designed to do 3 things well, not any one thing perfect. There would be an obvious difference between the VTX and response. I was under the assumption (or told by a dealer) having the center pylon helps keep it water ski association approved so that you are running the same lengths as a traditional comp boat

I'm not a skier, just sharing what I was told when I asked about it

Edited by wakebrdr94

In my experience the center pylon undeniably helps tracking which is why all dds have them.

I agree in theory. I was just wondering if you guys have noticed a difference (either skier or driver) in the course. I asked the question because I noticed in another thread a couple guys advocating for the center pylon.

Edited by flapjack

Sounds like it needs to come down to what you think. I know in my experience a boat pulls and tracks better with a center pylon. Havent skied behind a v drive with a center pylon though.

What's the distance bewteen the two pylons in the VTX? I looked at a VTX at the boat show with one and if I were to get one it would have the center pylon, but didn't think much of it like your experience. If I demo one I'll make sure to try both pylons. Like 85 said the forward positions is to help tracking which I may not be able to offset with my skill level. My concern would be the center pylon interfering with the G3 tower at short line lenghts.

The center pylon also maybe only for marketing, like you said, to get the growing family in to a roomy boat that can do it all. Besides doesn't one of the CC v-drive have a center pylon opition also?

yes sport 200 had center pylon last 2 years and I can only imagine the salesmanship in nautique dealers on that item. At 28 the rope can tough G3 but usually just at apex and by the time the ski comes around, and rope is tight its done. It's not an issue and even as rope gets shorter and "touches" it more, its not cheating you on but maybe a couple inches on the rope length.

- The center pylon offers nothing to the skier.

- If you are pulling a shortline skier, or a power skier rather than a technical skier, a center pylon will help tracking.

- Wake difference between center pylon and standard aft pylon is virtually non-existent.

- The center pylon gets in the way. This is why you bought a V-Drive. :)

Just telling it like it is.

We don't offer an aft pylon in a TXi. Why get a forward pylon in a VTX?

Peter. :)

Those guys make it look easy. When is the wake awful 85? 15 off, 35 off or somewhere in between?

I skied it at 22 and 28 at 34 mph. Not nearly as good as a VTX IMO, very troughy. In that video marcus and likley Dorian are going 36 mph, one's a top 3 skier in the world, the other a national record holder I think. Marcus was also running a very short line ahead of any wake "development". Have you seen Todd Ristorcelli ski behind an axis? Heck he makes it look like a response. A pro skier can make any wake look good. I've heard they brought a 214v to a tourney one time and after a round people either quit or insisted on a boat switch. Take it for what its worth but 35 off at 36 from a pro skier a big difference from a regular amateur at 34 or slower.

Agree for the most part but disgaree in that it doesn't take a shortline skier or a power skier to pull around a vdrive from the rear pylon. The forward pylon is much superior.

We disagree then.

If a skier is pulling at the ball instead of behind the boat, they can pull a direct drive around too.

Leave the center pylon's to the direct drives.

Peter

It's not hate, that's a strong word.

There is no functional benefit. In my opinion. And like rear-ends, every one has one. ha!

ps - the boom is the done, order one already. :)

Peter

I skied it at 22 and 28 at 34 mph. Not nearly as good as a VTX IMO, very troughy. In that video marcus and likley Dorian are going 36 mph, one's a top 3 skier in the world, the other a national record holder I think. Marcus was also running a very short line ahead of any wake "development". Have you seen Todd Ristorcelli ski behind an axis? Heck he makes it look like a response. A pro skier can make any wake look good. I've heard they brought a 214v to a tourney one time and after a round people either quit or insisted on a boat switch. Take it for what its worth but 35 off at 36 from a pro skier a big difference from a regular amateur at 34 or slower.

Fair enough. I didn't even demo one. To me it's obviously designed to be a dd. V-drive was an afterthought. I don't like how the hull tapers towards the transom and the bulky hump in the back and no wrap around seating :( Even if the wakes are close. Happy with VTX...