Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thoughts on this VLX surfgate wake?

Fman

2013 VLX - Surfgate, stock ballast, plug 'n play, and only 2 people in the boat. Am I wearing surfgate goggles? or does this wake look pretty dang nice! This is how I am planning on weighting my '13... I am not sure what size bags they are using, assuming they are 750's? and no wedge being used? anyone have any more info on this video?

• Like 2

the goofy side "looks" nicer.... the lip is kinda washy/crumbly/foamy on the regular side?

Hard to tell length with a gopro (seems to exaggerate a bit), but that looks like a nice enough wave for me for sure!

Is it because actually unequal weighting, prop rotation, etc...

yeah that's exactly what I'm seeing too. wonder if you just have to run slightly heavier on the regular side to "really" be evenly weighted when under power?

Also wonder if using the wedge would clean it up more? All videos of surfgate I have seen regardless of boat type are using the wedge. I am pretty stoked, that is a simple ballast set up and is producing a nice quality wake. Would really like to know what size bags they are using. Im going with the 750's...

I would think they are running the wedge...call and ask them. I demoed a 23 LSV last fall and it was not that good without the wedge. I have only a minute or so on a phone video and you can tell the difference in 25 to 75 percent wedge.

Is it because actually unequal weighting, prop rotation, etc...

I'm guessing prop rotation and the location of the person with the camera. It appears that the pictures are taken from behind the driver (rear seat corner) this would give about 400# more on the goofey side plus prop rotation. It would be intresting to see how much difference your dynamic ballast makes in the shape and size

I rode a 2013 VLX with surfgate back in October. We had all four stock tanks full, plus 400lb sacs in each locker, plus wedge (and two light people in the boat). The wake on goofy side was much better than the regular side. The wake on the regular side was surfable, but it wasn't much fun. We played around with the wedge putting it up and down. We found the wave started to get washed out if you added too much wedge. I can say from personal experience, the VLX needs more than 400lbs sacs + stock tanks + wedge to make a good surf wave. I'm hoping the new ronix 800 lbs sacs (one in each locker), plus a potential 400lbs sac in the bow will be good.

Edited by Cory

yeah that's exactly what I'm seeing too. wonder if you just have to run slightly heavier on the regular side to "really" be evenly weighted when under power?

That's exactly what we learned on my boat last fall with the gates. I run a tad heavier on the regular side and both waves end up pretty darn nice. I'm no goofy surfer and still need the rope to complete a crossover, but the extra weight on the regular side was our favorite set-up so far.

Looks weak to me, alot has to do with the angle of the shot too though. All the surfgate waves I have seen have the stupid second lip on the face of the wave from the gate that is not being used. More so on the port side wave. Surfgate 2 should address these issues.

This is a VLX with quads full, wedge, 750's in rear compartments, one 750 lb bag in walkway, 6 people in boat, 10.2 MPH.

I don't believe the configuration you posted. Look at these pics I snapped from that video. It's clear that the entire back seat is covered in sacks. I don't see anything in the walk through besides a cooler. And I count 5 people on the boat.

snap1_zps293acc61.jpg

snap2_zpsd8b04cc4.jpg

snap3_zps86049328.jpg

Edited by IXFE

I don't believe the configuration you posted. Look at these pics I snapped from that video. It's clear that the entire back seat is covered in sacks. I don't see anything in the walk through besides a cooler. And I count 5 people on the boat.

snap1_zps293acc61.jpg

snap2_zpsd8b04cc4.jpg

snap3_zps86049328.jpg

I see what you are viewing... I recieved an email from Kenji who made that video and how I described the weight was how it was listed in the email. Its pretty clear there are no bags in the boat from the pics, must be just the plug and play, wedge and hard tanks filled.

I can only imagine a 750 on the floor would only improve the wake. I can say, my 2011 without surfgate would never be able to produce that kind of wake regardless of how I ever weighted it. The wakes I am seeing on the VLX (and other models) with surfgate imo are very good, definitely for our level of surfing will be more than adequate.

Demo'd LSV with SG... did not care for size of the LSV. Its to much boat for our needs, harder to tow, fit in garage, more fuel consumption. We also prefer the VLX wakeboard wake, LSV is a little wider. We typically wakeboard 80% of time, but with SG will prob hop on surfboard more often.

I am just happy the VLX will produce a quality surf wake with SG. More than plenty good for our surfing needs. My 2011 vlx weighted would not come close to the wakes I am seeing on the VLX with SG. We would never be able to ride ropeless 10-15 ft back like the videos are displaying. Im sure it will require some dialing in but looking forward to playing around with weight distribution with SG.

Shawn, I currently have two boards, a smaller skim style (4'2") and Hyperlite Broadcast 5'4" board. We are due for an upgrade this season, I am looking into a Shred Stixx right now, the Airstream model came recommended as an all around good board for everyone on the boat. Do you have any recommendations?

http://shredstixx.com/boards/airstream/