Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski Safe vs Boaters Insurance Agency - help me pick

Nitrousbird

Last year I switched our boat insurance from State Farm to BoatUS. State Farm was just raking us over the coals and Boat US was about 1/2 the price for the same coverage.

Boat insurance is due again and Boat US jacked up their price. No insurance claims, no tickets and no reason to raise my rates. I've narrowed it down to Ski Safe and Boaters Insurance Agency. I did online quotes for each.

Ski Safe was about $100/year less than Boat US. Boater's quote didn't get the valuations right (their online setup isn't nearly as nice as Ski Safe's), so my guess is once that is corrected the cost will be about the same.

Which one would you choose? I've read Ski Safe has issues with foiling and parasailing, but that's not something we do so its a non-issue. They also have a seperate Machinery Coverage which I assume means if underwater gear, engine, etc. are damaged that is the limt they will cover. Their minimum isn't as high as I'd like and this category really increases the rate so that could be a factor. Ski Safe also has a minimum $500 deductable which I'm not pleased with.

Anything else I should look into? I'm pretty much set on these two companies as their rates are both acceptable and have good reputations. I guess I'm slightly leaning towards Boaters but could be easily swayed.

If it is close to a tie breaker, I'd call your local dealer. They'll know who is easiest to work with, quickest to approve claims, and they might have some insight into the variety of claims they accept.

Have you tried Progressive? Not saying they're better, but another option.

Hell no. I've read too many bad stories about claims on them.

Again, this thread is not about "have you tried X, Y, Z?" I know I can get great rates from the two I had listed - I just want a reason to pick one over the other. I'm also interested in only a boat-oriented insurance company.

Ski-Safe doesn't insure foil riders. USA Waterski left them & went to Global Insurance because of this & a bunch of other funky things they do.

I don't foil nor do I know anyone that ever has. What are these other "funky things" you speak of?

I don't foil nor do I know anyone that ever has. What are these other "funky things" you speak of?

Yea, I understand. But believe me, there are riders in your area, and if there is ever a chance for one to ride behind your boat, you'll either have to deny him (which is a shame, because their a lot of fun to watch), or risk any liability issues.

Interesting, guess I'll have to call my contact at SkiSafe tomorrow. I had to add USA Waterski to my policy last July, they had no issues that I was pulling a multi-day hydrofoil tournament. Just covered my new boat, no complaints.

Just switched from American Family to SkiSafe after our rate went up $175 a year(never had a claim). The premium is about 1/2 of what it was and now freeze damage is also covered. The only difference is the liability went down to 300,000 from 500,000. If I ever have to make a claim is when we'll see if it was worth the switch.

Interesting, guess I'll have to call my contact at SkiSafe tomorrow. I had to add USA Waterski to my policy last July, they had no issues that I was pulling a multi-day hydrofoil tournament. Just covered my new boat, no complaints.

I sure hope they have changed their policy. I've certainly been spreading the word since they had the issues with USA Waterski.

Hell no. I've read too many bad stories about claims on them.

Again, this thread is not about "have you tried X, Y, Z?" I know I can get great rates from the two I had listed - I just want a reason to pick one over the other. I'm also interested in only a boat-oriented insurance company.

Uhm, ok. Sorry I mentioned it. I'm done here.

Ski Safe won out.

I called Boaters Insurance. They refused to adjust the boat/trailer values to an acceptable amount. They were only willing to cover what I paid for the boat and didn't care that I got a good deal that took a while to find and I would have issues replacing the boat at their valuation. Screw them as no other insurance company I ever contacted had an issue with the valuation.

My rate with Ski Safe went down a ton. From 2011-early 2012 I was paying $550ish/year with State Farm. Went to BoatUS, same coverages, got it for $310/year (that's after the stupid $25/year membership BS you have to sign up for). Boat US wanted $371/year with the membership this year, claiming their costs have went up in the paperwork.

Ski Safe: $229. Same basic coverages. Layup period but no biggie since I don't boat in the winter. $500 deductable instead of $250, but I also increased the trailer value by $600 and the boat value by $1800. Their site is sweet as you can adjust all the little numbers to see what impacts the final price - I probably played with it for 20 minutes to find the balance of extra coverage vs. extra cost I was willing to pay. $26,800 for the boat and $3600 for the trailer should do fine.

• Like 1

Called to cancel my Boat US policy as my new covereage with Ski Safe started today. Boat US didn't make any attempt whatsoever to keep my business, didn't ask why I was switching to a new provider, nothing.

They did try to get me to donate the few bucks they owed me back on my current policy to some Boat US crap that I quickly told them I just wanted a check. If I was running that business I would be making some significant changes in the customer retention department.

• 2 weeks later...

Ski Safe won out.

I called Boaters Insurance. They refused to adjust the boat/trailer values to an acceptable amount. They were only willing to cover what I paid for the boat and didn't care that I got a good deal that took a while to find and I would have issues replacing the boat at their valuation. Screw them as no other insurance company I ever contacted had an issue with the valuation.

My rate with Ski Safe went down a ton. From 2011-early 2012 I was paying $550ish/year with State Farm. Went to BoatUS, same coverages, got it for $310/year (that's after the stupid $25/year membership BS you have to sign up for). Boat US wanted $371/year with the membership this year, claiming their costs have went up in the paperwork.

Ski Safe: $229. Same basic coverages. Layup period but no biggie since I don't boat in the winter. $500 deductable instead of $250, but I also increased the trailer value by $600 and the boat value by $1800. Their site is sweet as you can adjust all the little numbers to see what impacts the final price - I probably played with it for 20 minutes to find the balance of extra coverage vs. extra cost I was willing to pay. $26,800 for the boat and $3600 for the trailer should do fine.

Ski Safe and Boaters are both great companies. FYI, its against state insurance laws to insure something for more than you purchased it for. Boaters probably just followed the rules, besides Boater's has Agreed Value coverage on all their policies so if the boat was ever totalled, you'd get back all the money you ever paid for the boat.

• 3 months later...

I sure hope they have changed their policy. I've certainly been spreading the word since they had the issues with USA Waterski.

I just got off the phone with ski safe. They said long ago they did not cover hydrofoils, but they do now. Their rate is half of what I have been paying.

• Like 2

Be sure and read the policy and see exactly what they exclude. Don't want to get into a situation where the deduct adds a percentage for certain claims. These are usually the bigger ones, and it ends up costing you in the long run. Unfortunately some insurance companies "buy your business" up front with a cheaper rate, then raise it at renewal. Terrible tactic. Also even though you didn't have any claims if their book of business in your area had large claims, then they raise the rates across the board. Good luck!

I requested a quote from Ski Safe. It included the following language:

Your boat is covered at the Agreed Value for the first 2 years and after that up to its Fair Market Value.

Not sure if this is their company policy for all boats or particular to my (older model) boat. I haven't investigated yet as my current Boat/US policy isn't due for another month or so.

Something interesting I came across while looking at different policies......consequential coverage. This covers your boat in case there is damage or a total loss due to failure of a maintenance item, such as a split cooling hose that sinks the boat. I was not covered for that before, but I am now. I had no idea there was such a gap in my coverage.

• 2 weeks later...

I just cut my homeowner insurance in half on two homes. Thank you Liberty Mutual. All told I saves approx. 3400.00 this week by shopping out my insurance. That's a tank of gas in the Bu!

Something interesting I came across while looking at different policies......consequential coverage. This covers your boat in case there is damage or a total loss due to failure of a maintenance item, such as a split cooling hose that sinks the boat. I was not covered for that before, but I am now. I had no idea there was such a gap in my coverage.

Company--Before and now?