Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Interior Do Over

Skins from Chee have been installed and they look great. Carpet is next then I figure a day to reassemble everything. So far so good and will post pictures as everything comes together.

photo147.jpg

Wow, that was fast. Congratulations. Good luck putting it all back together. I figure it took me three times longer to put it back than it did to take it apart.

Just dropped off the boat this morning to the upholstery shop for carpeting. They said it should be done by this weekend so hopefully that is the case and i can start placing things back together.

Here is the pic of the boat in the shop this morning.

photo152.jpg

Edited by Rmattajr

Picked up the boat yesterday from getting the carpet redone. Looks great and started to place things back together this morning. The below picture after I put the engine cage back on and I ended up working all day and got the engine fully covered with the upholstery pieces and also threw the gas tank back in. Worked on wiring the 2 amps and installed the new equalizer (thanks Shawn). About 80% done with the speaker setup and 30% done with the upholstery.

So much for me thinking it would take one day....what was I thinning? Going to take me at least a few more full days of work. Getting there slowly but surely.

DSC_0325.jpg

Edited by Rmattajr

Picked up the boat yesterday from getting the carpet redone. Looks great and started to place things back together this morning. The below picture after I put the engine cage back on and I ended up working all day and got the engine fully covered with the upholstery pieces and also threw the gas tank back in. Worked on wiring the 2 amps and installed the new equalizer (thanks Shawn). About 80% done with the speaker setup and 30% done with the upholstery.

So much for me thinking it would take one day....what was I thinning? Going to take me at least a few more full days of work. Getting there slowly but surely.

Good Luck, plan on about ten days, much slower going in, but it's going to be worth it!

i got a price from Chee and realized that i might need a shop to do the install of the skins- so I found someone who does upholstery work - marine experience- and got a price this was the same as Chee had given me, but this included INSTALLation! It came out very nice- i removed the components and now i 'll just install the components. The carpet is my issue now- I wish you had more pics of the carpet install! how much did it cost? I'm figuring 300$ for carpet 8 yds for my 20' sunsetter. I cleaned an area and it came out great- so i think I'll get enough to do the engine cover and clean the rest.

Your boat looked great in the before pics- I'm assuming they were the first ones in your post. maybe it was just the way the pics came out. I have been chasing rips and tears- seam failures for the last few yrs. 500$ here- 200$ there...... All new now for 3000$ Hope to be in by the end of the month- can't fit mine in the garage :(

How's the rebuild going? Starving for pictures here.

Going well.

A bit of a hold up due to the the carpeting however . So i picked up the boat and they did 80% of the carpeting but needed to order more carpet because there was way more than they estimated. On a 23ft boat i was surprised at the amount of carpet needed. Anyways, the carpet place sent the wrong color so we are waiting on about 5-7 pieces. Cant finish the front without them and a few others spots. Should have it all done by this weekend. As of right now, got the interior speakers and subs all wired through the 2 amps, and installed the correct gauge wire, Previously i installed the sub and amp out on the lake one day with a 6 pack and in 90 degree weather, thew it together quickly and it worked but wasn't done correctly. took off the side Malibu stickers because i couldn't find any replacements and the old ones were beat up. Also finished running all new hoses in the boat for the heater and fume exhaust, past ones were shredded to nothing. I am installing the captains chair tonight so i will be sure to put up a bunch of pics of my progress thus far. Hope to be on the lake the weekend of April 20th.

Here are some progress pics but I am going to take a bunch more when its outside this weekend or next, it's hard to see with the low light in the garage but you guys get the point.

Again this is what i was originally dealing with... Its hard to tell but there were some bad rips in the back and each seat had the seams starting to rip but its difficult to make that out in the photos.

Should be done by this weekend with rest of upholstery, platform and tower back on.

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

New carpet and upholstery

DSC_0389.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0391.jpg

This is about as clean as i could get that gas tank

DSC_0385.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg

DSC_0396.jpg

DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

Edited by Rmattajr

Looking good man! Great job.

thanks, its occupied my weekends for the past few months. I am ready for it to be over and enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

All done! Boat is in the water and final pictures are below. What a a fun and gratifying winter project this was and can't wait to get out on the lake next weekend. Buffed, polished and waxed the boat, took off the old side Malibu emblems/stickers & put on small oval stainless steel side Malibu plates toward the rear of the boat on both sides. Took off the Malibu sticker on the back and replaced with the newer Malibu stainless steel side emblems and put it on the back of the boat instead.

Very happy with how it all came out.

DSC_0413.jpg

DSC_0415.jpg

DSC_0416.jpg

DSC_0417.jpg

DSC_0418.jpg

DSC_0419.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

DSC_0422.jpg

Edited by Rmattajr