Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Interior Do Over

So i think I caught the BozBoat Bug after reading his post and having some email conversations on his current SSLXI rehab. I actually contemplated looking into a newer model Malibu but my 2002 Sunsetter 23XTI for the most part has been great to me and really has everything I need for skiing/wake boarding and the family. Plus I absolutely love the rear wrap around seating in this Sunsetter with the removable table.

The rear seats in my Sunsetter completely ripped this year. They started to get hard then began to crack when people sat on them with the seams falling apart. Nothing I really could have done on my end to save them and now they are a huge eyesore. I bough the boat 2.5 years ago and I could tell the seats were on their way out due to a lack of care from the previous owner. I definitely see some wear on the front seats and sun platform as well so those also needed to be done. I reached out to the legend Chee for skins based on everyone's recommendation and he gave me a price to replace the 10 pieces and also included a price to replace the whole boat. What a nerve wrecking way buy skins haha, and what I mean is it just was very weird sending a random stranger a good amount of money but everyone has had a great experience with this so that was my reassurance. Before I wanted to get knee deep in a complete upholstery overhaul I reached out to the local upholstery shop and my new upholstery buddy came and checked out the boat. He said to replace everything because he thinks that there would be a noticeable difference in the new v.s. old and the majority of the other upholstery will likely only have a few more years left as some of the exterior stitching is gone on pieces. I think I am making the right choice doing the entire boat and the difference for the labor is only about $600-$700 for either 10 pieces vs the whole boat to replace the skins.

I also am now contemplating doing the carpet as well since I will have a good amount of the boat apart soon. There are some tough stains and i am going to try my hardest to remove them but I am leaning towards having my upholstery buddy replace the carpet as well. think it might be too tough of a job for me especially in the front of the boat since most are built with the open bow front seating placed in over the carpet so my cuts would have to be perfect. Unfortunately they don't make carpet savers for my boat either so replacing the carpet is my only choice.

Plan to start the disasembly this weekend and will upload some progress pics soon.

Cant wait.

Rob

Edited by Rmattajr
  • Like 2

Jump in all the way! New carpet and full set of skins. You would regret new skins on old stained worn carpet. Get a photobucket account and start taking pictures. I am happy to find out I am not a Lone Ranger on craziness.

• Like 2

I am convienced too after seeing what Boz has done. Mine will be in a winter or two and include a stero overhaul as well. Keep the pictures coming I would love to see how it goes.

Definitely do the whole thing. I bought an '01 SSLXI last fall with a beat interior, I just decided to send it to an upholstery shop to have it done. We considered doing the worst bits but he said the same thing as your guy. It would like odd with new and old upholstery in it. I also had the carpet replaced. It came out amazing, it's like having a new boat. I feel like I resurrected this poor boat from disaster.

2013-01-26_14-57-29_590_zpsd7857015.jpg

2013-01-26_14-57-15_164_zps7fc59824.jpg

Tim, did you gel coat the exterior at all? I think that's my next step either when the interior is done or next year. The rear is starting to fade. By the way the boat looks brand new and this gets me very excited to get this done in the following months.

Anyone know the average cost to gel coat. Assuming this isn't something i can do on my own.

Tim, did you gel coat the exterior at all? I think that's my next step either when the interior is done or next year. The rear is starting to fade. By the way the boat looks brand new and this gets me very excited to get this done in the following months.

Anyone know the average cost to gel coat. Assuming this isn't something i can do on my own.

No I didn't, mine is actually in decent condition. I think a polish and wax should get my gelcoat looking really good. I have a few gouges that I'm getting professional repaired this month, then I will tackle the polishing and waxing myself. From what I've read it doesn't sound too hard to bring the gelcoat back.

Jump in all the way! New carpet and full set of skins. You would regret new skins on old stained worn carpet. Get a photobucket account and start taking pictures. I am happy to find out I am not a Lone Ranger on craziness.

You're in good company! :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on my progress....

Finished taking everything out of the boat this morning so upholstery shop can start installing the new carpet soon. Figured I would leave in the carpet just in case they want to use the old stuff as a template. It’s a little nerve wrecking having everything out of the boat since I have never done this before but I took a lot of pictures and videos to reference when I put it all back together. Upholstery should be here in the next two weeks or so according to Chee. The carpet was in pretty bad shape in the rear of the boat and the more stuff(seats, gas tank, compartments) that I took out the worse the carpet looked. I also noticed that the engine vent hoses that go to the rear vents were completely shredded and weren't exhausting to the back of the boat so i ordered some new hoses from Bakes. Overall i would say it wasn't too difficult to take everything apart, there was the occasional hidden screw in the carpet that took a while to find and then I stripped a few but I managed to get them all out. Here are some of the pictures of the "mess" I am making according to my wife.

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

photo146.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

Edited by Rmattajr

search this site; lots of info for restoring your gel. it is a project you can handle on your own.

my boat uses aluminum angle to secure the rear seat lean-back.

are those angle's in the rear of your boat for the lean-back or fuel tank.

reason i ask is that mine are corroding. look like crap.

if yours are visible and starting to fade this may be a good opportunity to replace w something else.

great pix. you sure know how to have a good time.

search this site; lots of info for restoring your gel. it is a project you can handle on your own.

my boat uses aluminum angle to secure the rear seat lean-back.

are those angle's in the rear of your boat for the lean-back or fuel tank.

reason i ask is that mine are corroding. look like crap.

if yours are visible and starting to fade this may be a good opportunity to replace w something else.

great pix. you sure know how to have a good time.

Hey Tim,

Not completely sure what you are asking, sorry about that.My rear seat sits on top of the gas tank and then bolts to the side of the boat fiberglass. I have a small compartment in he back that's carpeted but its fiberglass underneath as well.

Quick update on my progress....

Finished taking everything out of the boat this morning so upholstery shop can start installing the new carpet soon. Figured I would leave in the carpet just in case they want to use the old stuff as a template. It’s a little nerve wrecking having everything out of the boat since I have never done this before but I took a lot of pictures and videos to reference when I put it all back together. Upholstery should be here in the next two weeks or so according to Chee. The carpet was in pretty bad shape in the rear of the boat and the more stuff(seats, gas tank, compartments) that I took out the worse the carpet looked. I also noticed that the engine vent hoses that go to the rear vents were completely shredded and weren't exhausting to the back of the boat so i ordered some new hoses from Bakes. Overall i would say it wasn't too difficult to take everything apart, there was the occasional hidden screw in the carpet that took a while to find and then I stripped a few but I managed to get them all out. Here are some of the pictures of the "mess" I am making according to my wife.

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

photo146.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

Rob, that is awesome. Great Progress. Now that all of the parts are out, its clear the carpet has to go. This part made me nervous, but it will go back together quickly and you will know your boat inside and out.

Hey Tim,

Not completely sure what you are asking, sorry about that.My rear seat sits on top of the gas tank and then bolts to the side of the boat fiberglass. I have a small compartment in he back that's carpeted but its fiberglass underneath as well.

pix is part of one of yours.

brackets.jpg

the bottom of the brackets (circled) on my rig are exposed and showing their age.

pix is part of one of yours.

brackets.jpg

the bottom of the brackets (circled) on my rig are exposed and showing their age.

Ahh ok thanks for the clarification. Yeah they aren't too bad and they actually sit behind the rear seat base and bolt onto my gas tank so they are hidden.

What does a complete interior run approx? Would love to see a new interior in mine.

From Chee, depending on the boat, it will about $2000 but don't quote me. Call or email Chee directly onylhe can give you the right price.

I'm another very happy customer! Just got my skins 3 weeks ago. Now I need a good shop to install them.

Does nayone know what it costs to install all the skins. Just a ballpark. I'm hoping $1000 or less.

I paid $2000 to have the interior removed, skins from Chee installed and then interior reinstalled.

This was on a 23lsv 2 yrs ago..

Scott

Don't leave them in the box long. Chee packs them pretty tight.

Thanks Boz,

Took them all out last night and didn't have a room big enough to lay them all out separately Had to lay some on top of each other but i remember you saying to take them out of the box right away from a previous post. The box was huge and packed tightly, wasn't easy getting it into the house either, weighed around 80 pounds. I walked into the bedroom with the skins this morning and that new boat smell hit me soon as i opened the door. Wont be long.

• 2 weeks later...

Skins from Chee have been installed and they look great. Carpet is next then I figure a day to reassemble everything. So far so good and will post pictures as everything comes together.

photo147.jpg