Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I need help deciding which boat?

Ottomatic

The choice should be easy. Lets look at these photos and decide which one looks better.....

23 LSV:

l_vp2880013_3.jpg

digi45414505_l.jpg

5489526_2011-malibu-wakesetter-23-lsv.jp

piG23:

IMG_3781.jpg

fat-pig.jpg

Lol. I would get the LSV for all the reasons that have been said. But maybe I just missed it Y not the 24MXZ should be the same price as the PIG. You can find some sick videos of it with surf gate.

I am a guy who likes a new boat every few years and in my neck of the woods not sure how resale would be on a 24mxz!! That being said I think they are sick boats!! The 23lsv and the g23 I THINK will hold there value!! Perception is reality I guess!

This coming from someone who is on his second Bu': The G23 is a sick boat. I think it is huge in a good way, and the features like center floor cooler and rear facing seating are very nice. Its got a trash can that you can access without moving anyone. It has a hide away door for accessing the bow. The fake teak is classy looking and functional...

Now that Nautique ripped off Surf Gate its time for Malibu to rip off some Nautique features!

It doesn't seem like a perfect boat and its super expensive, and to an extent the grass is always greener... but put side by side I could see why many would prefer it. If price were equal the G23 would win over the 24 MXZ no question.

Now an LSV that's 30k cheaper than a G23, that's a better comparison...

Edited by pkh

Did a 11 hour drive today so I stopped in Dallas and looked at the G23. The outside may look like a pig but the inside looks way better than the LSV hands down now to keep the boat long term the G23 has to many little things that may cost money down the road. I know you aren't looking at long term. I still like the MXZ way more than both I know you aren't interested just saying. True or not true I was told today that the NSS was getting pulled due to copy rights with Malibu.

True or not true I was told today that the NSS was getting pulled due to copy rights with Malibu.

I don't see how the NSS is against copy rights or any patents. It's completely different system then the surf gate, other then the fact it shapes the surf wake. Bet something fell through on a part supplier?

I don't see how the NSS is against copy rights or any patents. It's completely different system then the surf gate, other then the fact it shapes the surf wake. Bet something fell through on a part supplier?

When I talked to Naitique they said they would have it in 2 weeks. The Malibu dealer told me paperwork was being filed on the NSS as I said true or not true the fact that they told me that you can take to the bank.

Bradley, I'm not saying you are spreading a bad rumor. I don't think it is right for a company to sue a competitor for making a product that is completely different, but used for the same function like the SG and the NSS. Mastercraft put stupid trim taps on their boats to enhance their surf wake, should Malibu sue them too? What happen to the good old competition in the USA markets, focusing your company to making the best product you believe in or is the new mod, "If you can't beat them, sue them to get ahead." Apple did the samething and it grinds my gears that this is where this country is headed.

• Like 3

I could see Malibu having a patent that covers the concept of rerouting water off the side of the boat to create a wave. The fact that CC does it using a different looking device doesn't change the fact that they are doing the same thing. If Malibu has a patent that broadly covers this concept, then they can and should pursue legal action. That would at least give Malibu the right to collect royalties on similar systems from other companies.

Isn't it true that CC still collects royalties from every boat that is sold with a tower? How similar does the G3 look to the original CC towers?? And yet Malibu still has to pay based purely on the concept. If this is true with towers, why not with the surf stuff?

As Malibu has a patent pending, so too does C. c.

Who filed first and is it for the concept of rerouting water or for the device? Unless someone has access to the filings and the willingness and time to read them we will have to wait until the case is settled, by then we will have all forgotten about this thread.

Does Malibu have a patent on the wedge? I heard yes, thats why you never see it on any other boat. How is this different from surfgate?

I could see how Malibu would want royalties off NSS. I have no idea how patents work, but I would bet there are loop holes in every patent. I would be shocked if Nautique had to pull NSS off the market and no longer produce it.

Bradley, I'm not saying you are spreading a bad rumor. I don't think it is right for a company to sue a competitor for making a product that is completely different, but used for the same function like the SG and the NSS. Mastercraft put stupid trim taps on their boats to enhance their surf wake, should Malibu sue them too? What happen to the good old competition in the USA markets, focusing your company to making the best product you believe in or is the new mod, "If you can't beat them, sue them to get ahead." Apple did the samething and it grinds my gears that this is where this country is headed.

IF there is truly infringement, then correct craft can pay a license fee like it charged others for wakeboard towers. Patents are what SPURS, not detracts from development of new things. What incentive do, for example, drug manufacturers have to spend millions on developing new drugs if they can just be copied 4 months later? Check your 401(k), you should be darn glad we have a functioning patent system. It's only BECAUSE, not in spite of, our patent system that companies spend tireless resources on product development. Many other countries have many more smart people than the US, yet we easily lead the world in intellectual property and design. Why? Because we provide financial incentives to the RISK-TAKERS by protecting them through an effective patent system. Keep in mind, if there is a challenge and Malibu's presumable position is correct, it doesn't mean that NSS will be gone, just means that Malibu MAY be able to charge a licensing fee. And why not? They invented the concept and execution.

Not that it matters but I believe CC patent on towers is on a tower that connects to a boat in 4 places, that's why most boat company's now do a tower that only has 2 points of contact!!

I read CumminsBu's argument not from a point of there shouldn't be patent wars, but frivolous lawsuits aren't something that helps the market.

Well considering he said nothing about anything frivolous lawsuits and instead used general language like "What happen to the good old competition in the USA markets...", I think you're interpretation is tenuous, or cummins explained poorly.

Not that it matters but I believe CC patent on towers is on a tower that connects to a boat in 4 places, that's why most boat company's now do a tower that only has 2 points of contact!!

I understood that too.

I started not to say anything but if you plan on surfing you may want to order the G23. If you go that route after you know you can get the NSS for sure. Like they have yours in stock. They may end up 2 weeking you to death.

I don't know if it matters or not or if CC has a patent on its hydro gate but the NSS operates almost in the exact manner as that in that a plate slides past the hull to move water and effect the wake of the boat.

Now yes the hydro gate is on the center bottom of the hull and is cable operated and the NSS is electric actuated an they are out to the sides and bottom but maybe CC feels that this is their system and no infringement?

I'm sure Nautique designed a system that they thought wouldn't infringe, and I'm also sure that Malibu patented as much as possible of the delayed convergence approach. That way once the other manufacturers saw Malibu's approach, and tried to quickly come up with something slightly different in response, just as Nautique did, then Malibu's R&D investment would still be protected. If Malibu is filing suit it's up to the courts to decide, and if my main goal was to surf, I sure wouldn’t order a new Nautique assuming NSS was a sure thing until it was all resolved.

FWIW I think the G23 is a great boat, but I have a feeling NSS is going to have some infringement problems. Hopefully it can be worked out with some licensing agreements as I'm all for more options for the consumer, but that is going to tack on a big cost to an already expensive boat.

The Malibu reps at the SLC boat show were not saying anything of the sort about NSS being suspended or lawsuits being filed, I asked lots of questions about the surf gate and reference the NSS several times during the conversation.

BTW I'm a Nautique guy but a DD guy so not overly concerned about surfing. Malibu boats were the best looking boats at the show.