Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I need help deciding which boat?

Ottomatic

I need help!!! I know this is a Malibu forum and I love malibu's but I am in a situation where I don't know what to do!! I put my boat up for sale yesterday and sold it today, I didn't think I would have to make this decision so fast. Here is the deal I looked at all the boats at the boat show this weekend and I really loved a few of them. Obviously another 23lsv is at the top of my list but I also really liked the centurion 244, and our local nautique dealer worked me a CRAZY good deal on a g23 with the cadi motor.

We LOVE to surf so that is playing a big roll in the boat I choose. I feel the best surf wake would probably be the centurion but I think the G is probably a close second. Surfgate with plug and play looks awesome too!!

What should I choose I need you guys to help me??

Wow, you have an awesome dilemma. If you can afford a G, you can have anything. Seriously, you need to demo all those boats, they are all different, its going to come down to so many variables and your personal preference on interior, towers, size, weight, etc... you can't go wrong with any of them.

Best bang for buck imo would be the LSV with surfgate. But that is just me... I personally think the G boats are strange looking, too big and clumsy looking...

And please share, what's a crazy good deal on a new G? I can only imagine what that price is....

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1

Go with the G.... I doubt you will be disapointed. However I am surprised to see Centurion in this list. Coming from an LSV the Centurion is FUGLY.. Yeah it may produce a nice wave but IMO that is all is does well.... I primarily surf and that is not enough for me to buy one...

The problem I am having is it is 20 degrees outside right now and I have to order my new boat within the next couple of days for several reasons, we have a trip planned in April and I need to get the deal done so I can receive my tax savings. I will do the deal through the dealer so I only pay tax on the difference!!

Well then IMO that puts Centurion out of that list. If you buy one and are disappointed with it you are taking a serious hit... The LSV and G Series will resell very well if you wish to take a different route later on as well... Friends don't let friends buy Centurions...

• Like 2

Nobody can make up your mind but you, considering your knowledge of what you like and dislike, including what is important and what is just a pure perk.

My vote is Live the Dream- Buy a 247 Wakesetter

• Like 1

Is he figuring installing a NSS in the price on the G? That would be a must IMO

I'd also want to demo the NSS before I'd pull the trigger on the G, even if it is *only* 15k more. From what I have heard the Nautique guys are liking NSS on the 230 the most.

Not as much as you might think, the g23 with the cadi motor I got within 15k of the lsv

Pretty hard to pass up the G if the price is that close. Incredible fit and finish and features on that boat.

Edited by Tims

A G with the Caddi motor for only 15K more is a great dea IIRC the difference was about 50K at the Mid Atlantic boat show between the two, and I dont think that included the Caddi motor.

You really cant go wrong either way.

for that delta, I'd go with the G. I suspect the biggest difference between the boats will be the handling. Hard to imagine anything that size drives like an LSV, but I agree on the fit, finish, quality and design. The G is pretty incredible. I just ordered a G25 and am hoping all the stated positives outweigh any negatives like a probable downgrade in handling etc. My price delta over a 247 was far more than $15K unfortunately, but that's life.

The G for sure if its that close in price. Have a decent driver who knows what theyre doing and you wont have to worry about the water over the stern. Happened 1 time then we corrected it when out in the G.

It is no secret that I think the G is one of the ugliest boats on the water, but everyone has their own opinion (but you asked. LOL). Personally, I would take the additional 15k and one of these two things: 1) upgrade the engine in the LSV with surfgate or 2) look at 24 MXZ

The G for sure if its that close in price. Have a decent driver who knows what theyre doing and you wont have to worry about the water over the stern. Happened 1 time then we corrected it when out in the G.

huelsmma have you driven a 23 with surfgate? If not (and I'm confident you have not given your previous posts) how can you tell someone "for sure" they should get a G? I would bet you've never even driven a 244 either? Have YOU actually driven a G with NSS?

I've driven a 23 w SG and a 244, not a G. I am not qualified to tell anyone what they should get "for sure", but I can say the 23 with SG is SWEET, and easily handles better than a listed 244. If OP is riding with his wife and novice friends who also drive, I think handling is an important part of the equation. No one says good things about the G's handling and the G's propensity to take water over the stern is now part of internet lore. It's one thing to have a crew of experienced riders but with a wife driving, picking up sippy cups, with useless inexperienced guests, preventing "G-Stern-swamping" doesn't sound as easy to me to avoid as just having a "decent" driver.

To OP, of those 3 choices, Centurion is only one that will requrie massive weight redistribution for switching sides...is everyone the same foot forward?

Edited by 85 Barefoot

We do primarily like to surf, our oldest likes to wakeboard but I think any of these boats can do what we need in regards to wake boarding! If we are upgrading we want the baddest surf wake on the planet with no pumps being put over the side!!! We all surf regular no one in our crew surfs goofy!!

We do primarily like to surf, our oldest likes to wakeboard but I think any of these boats can do what we need in regards to wake boarding! If we are upgrading we want the baddest surf wake on the planet with no pumps being put over the side!!! We all surf regular no one in our crew surfs goofy!!

If its JUST about wakesurfing, hard to beat the enzo. BUT, if you wnat to wakeboard and have a decent handling boat, those are two big knocks on the enzo. The deep v of the enzo creates a very washed over wakeboard wake.

If you put 1100# PNP sacs in the 23, you'd be able to run about 3000#'s hidden ballast plus wedge. Certainly not shabby. Although I have not loaded up a 23 that way to demo, it would have to give a G a run for its money, although I'm not seeing a lot on the reported surf quality of the G because there's so few out there.

Maybe a good question is, what do you like/not like about your current 23 and how do you have it set up?

Edited by 85 Barefoot

My apologies for not saying IMO rather than for sure. you know the answer to the NSS so why ask? Ive surfed behind one without the NSS. If i was in the sameboat and got a smoking deal on a boat that was appealing to me Id go for it.

im not knocking Malibu at all by any means

Edited by Huelsmma

My apologies for not saying IMO rather than for sure. Have i driven the 23 with SG no but Ive ridden in one and of course you know the answer to the NSS so why ask? Ive surfed behind one without the NSS. If i was in the sameboat and got a smoking deal on a boat that was appealing to me Id go for it.

In the 23 that you rode in, when was that and how was it loaded? Did anyone ride?

I really like my 23 my wife says whatever boat I buy has to have all ballast plumped!! Not to bad sense she is letting me get another boat!! Hahaha! The centurion has 4600 pounds of plumped in ballast!!

I really like my 23 my wife says whatever boat I buy has to have all ballast plumped!! Not to bad sense she is letting me get another boat!! Hahaha! The centurion has 4600 pounds of plumped in ballast!!

and it drives it too...how much weight is in your 23?