Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Burn on Monsoon 350?

wakeparadise

Can anyone tell me their best guess as to how much fuel is burnt on their Monsoon 350 on a day split between wakeboarding/surfing? I'm trying to figure out rough estimates for a summer where I'd put about 75 hrs on a 2011 VLX. Also, are the fuel injected 350's any more fuel efficient? What are some advantages/disadvantages of them vs the carb'd ones?

Ryan

Fuel injected is more efficient than carb'd. If you have a 2011 VLX then it is EFI and it should be left that way.

As for fuel consumption every boat is different. Depends on elevation, weight in the boat, cruising, stop and go, etc.

I tend to hope for the best and plan for the worst, you can easily burn 10 gallons+ in a day of boating (~4 hours of run time), it really depends. Plan for 2-3 gallons per hour and I think you'd be in the ballpark +or- 100 gallons. :lol:

If you have a Moomba Mobius with a Merc350 it would be similar in fuel consumption. Again it depends on many factors primarily the weight of the boat and the engine speed.

Right on, in my Moomba I usually put about 4 hrs on the boat a day and burn about 100 litres (26 gallons) so much much more than what you're saying... that's about 5-6 gallons / hr.. We have the Moomba loaded up with 1700 lbs of ballast and wakeboard non-stop for those 4 hrs.. does that sound about right for a VLX with the ballast loaded up?

Just cruising around you'll burn 4 an hour. Wakeboarding about 6 and surfing around 8.

Wow, Im shocked that surfing uses more fuel? Hmm..never put much thought into it, but I always imagined it to be much more mellow , combined with lower energy usage... low speed, low RPM's... , less pull out of the hole-shot?

While surfing your hull is still displacing (plowing), when boarding your hull is planed off, which needs less power.

+1.

My boat is used for skiing and tubing (I have young kids..they love it...enough said).

I'm always on plane or floating in the lake with the engine off. 30 gallons of gas will last 8-10 hours of engine time. It's a Monsoon.

Just carry 10 gals. of spare gas and you don't need to worry about fuel consumption anymore.

It was more just an exercise of budgeting for the summer...;-) I always carry extra because we burn through the 112 litre tank and carry 80 litres of spare fuel so we dont have to go back to shore...

Not sure how much a litre is (thanks, Jimmy Carter) but carrying 80 litres of spare gas on the boat sounds like a lot. What do you store it in and where do you keep it?

yeah, I gotta admit the States is slightly behind the rest of the free world with respect to units of measurement, but, 80 litres is about 20 gallons and we just keep it in 5 gallon jerry cans... mostly for ballast..

So you can burn through roughly 50 gallons of gas in a single day? You guys must be hard core.

Im just dedicated. Summer is super-short here. When I go on the water we launch early in the morning and we don't get off the river until the sun has set. First in - last out is what we live by. We get MAYBE 3 solid months of acceptable weather, 4 if you want to wear wetsuits... 5 if you're truly "hardcore" with drysuits...(which I'm not). :-) we can easily burn through the tank (112 litres) plus use up all our 5gal jerry cans (80 litres).... yup.

And I am still wondering where you would put four of those 5 gallons cans of gas on the boat until they are needed.

On the Moomba we would put 2 in the bow (on top of the seat) and 1 on each side of the engine (direct drive), although if we were surfing we would shift EVERYTHING over to one side... 2x750 fat sacs plus the 20 gal's of gas.... the rubrail was beneath the water line.....

For straight wakeboarding with no cruising, full factory ballast and wedge deployed, my VLX with the Monsoon 350 uses 5 gallons per engine hour. I measured and calculated fuel used for pretty much every outing and it was 5 gals/hr when wakeboarding over 126 hours of use last summer. At our local riding spot we only idle about 100-200 yards before we are wakeboarding, so that fuel usage is pretty much wakeboarding only. If I load up extra ballast it jumps to 6-7 gallons per hour.

On a lake Norris trip, when we spent more time cruising, idling, skiing, and wakeboarding with no wedge or ballast (had some beginners) we used 3-4 gallons per hour.

Again, this is per engine hour, not hours of the day.

I was right on with Brett with my 2011 vlx... 5 gph wakeboarding, 6-7 per hour surfing. On a full day on water (9a - 8p) with occasional breaks we would usually burn 35-40 gallons.

Right on, that sounds about right for me too...

i usually figure about $3K per summer for gas.

that doesn't include the denali to pull it around!! :biggrin:

worth every penny for kids who are growing up way to fast!!!

The last 5 tanks of the year for me with an LCR motor and 1235 prop looked like this

4.47 gph - mixed boating - 400lbs of lead

4.78 gph - mixed boating - 400lbs of lead

5.50 gph - full boat, full ballast, 400lbs of lead

5.68 gph - full boat, full ballast, 400lbs of lead

4.45 gph - mixed boating - 400lbs of lead

I budget by taking my total estimated hours divided by 5 (hours per tank average). We average 100 hours a season so 20 fill ups. x amount per fill up. Some days are less and some are more but it always seems to be close. We also barefoot a lot which can diminish gas quickly. Now our boat only has like a 35 gallon tank and even on "E" I don't think we ever take more than 20 gallons. I am figuring around $2000 for gas this summer in the bu.