Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing Power Wedge Actuator

Brian Young

I have a '08 VLX, and one of my Lenco Actuators went out. I'll likely replace both, as Im sure the other is at the end of it's life as well. However, my question is....has anyone replaced their 3 lobe with newer 5 lobe actuators from Lenco? Does everything work correctly afterward?

There is an article on Bakes, that is written about newer model wedges, stating not to mix 3 & 5 lobe parts. Not sure if this applies to the older model, like i have.

Thanks for the help.

I just went through this process. I installed the 5 lobe as directed by the manufacturer, found a cheaper alternative by sourcing the part from a local Lenco dealer. The installation was quick and painless. Here is a brief step by step to help you:

1. Ensure the wedge is all the way up and the gauge on the dash read 'wedge up' (this will enure its calibrated)

2. Cut the wires about 4 inches up from the actuator (external of boat)

3. Remove broken actuator

4. Attach new actuator

5. slip heat shrinks wraps over the wires

6. Use a Soldering kit from Home Depot ($14) and solder wires (youtube has videos on how to solder - it is simple)

7. Use a heat gun or cigarette lighter to shrink heat wrap for a water tight seal

The whole project will take you 30 minutes - if i can do it, anyone can!

I sourced the Lenco actuator from a Tige dealership here in Austin - The Ski dock 512 918 2628. Ask for Charlie, he will help you out.

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me what part # you purchased? I've got various answers from online, and from calling Lenco. When I called Lenco, they told me 15118-001, which I only found one place online.

Also, did you replace both or just the failed unit, mixing 3 and 5 lobe units?

• 4 months later...

Charlie's were $320.

They can be had on Ebay for $225 each. Assuming that we are talking about a Lenco 15060 actuator. As best I can tell, that is the correct part.

• 1 month later...

Brian,

Curious if you got this resolved. I've got the same problem and need to replace the actuators and not sure if I should use the 3 lobe 15118-001 or the 5 lobe 15060.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BCB

Brian,

Curious if you got this resolved. I've got the same problem and need to replace the actuators and not sure if I should use the 3 lobe 15118-001 or the 5 lobe 15060.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BCB

I just put 2 new 15060's on my 07 VLX to replace the original ones that were shot. I have run the boat a few times now with everything working great.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44722-power-wedge-actuator-replacement-instructions-07-vlx/

• 1 year later...

I know fhis is an old topic, but can a 3 lobe be replaced with a 5 lobe with out the new retrofit control module?

• 2 months later...

Illinois,

I just put a pair on my 2010 23 LSV (replaced the 3-lobe with 5-lobe). I'll test it out tomorrow, see if it works and report back. Did you ever figure yours out? I really hope I don't have to go get a new control box.

--Ben

I know fhis is an old topic, but can a 3 lobe be replaced with a 5 lobe with out the new retrofit control module?

I think the control module is only needed if you have a 2010.5 or newer.

Illinois,

I just put a pair on my 2010 23 LSV (replaced the 3-lobe with 5-lobe). I'll test it out tomorrow, see if it works and report back. Did you ever figure yours out? I really hope I don't have to go get a new control box.

--Ben

Did you have the black sensor on your wedge? Is the position displaying correct on your screen? I've got to play with mine a little more since mine only goes down on the screen to about 1/2 way but the wedge is actually all the way down.

If I take off the port actuator, and cut the wire so I don't get water in the boat through the wire, would the wedge come up with just 1 actuator as it is stuck in Max wake mode, but shows down with the port actuator max out issue.

I had one actuator break off and I ran it using one actuator with no issue.. maybe I just had good luck but at least I was able to stow in in the up position.

• 10 months later...
On August 18, 2015 at 6:42 AM, jwl019 said:

Did you have the black sensor on your wedge? Is the position displaying correct on your screen? I've got to play with mine a little more since mine only goes down on the screen to about 1/2 way but the wedge is actually all the way down.

On August 18, 2015 at 6:42 AM, jwl019 said:

Jwl019 - did you ever figure out why your wedge was all the way down, but your screen said it was only half? Im having the same issue and can't find the fix...

Just now, Imedrano said:

Jwl019 - did you ever figure out why your wedge was all the way down, but your screen said it was only half? Im having the same issue and can't find the fix...

I did, I had to play with the black hockey puck sensor on the wedge to get it to show correctly on the screen.  I had someone sit in the boat with the screen on the calibrate wedge screen while I twisted the sensor to get the numbers to read correctly.  Once I did that, it shows correctly on the screen now.

Just now, jwl019 said:

I did, I had to play with the black hockey puck sensor on the wedge to get it to show correctly on the screen.  I had someone sit in the boat with the screen on the calibrate wedge screen while I twisted the sensor to get the numbers to read correctly.  Once I did that, it shows correctly on the screen now.

Thanks for the reply! I was getting desperate. I will give it a try. 

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:59 PM, Imedrano said:

Thanks for the reply! I was getting desperate. I will give it a try. 

Bakes has calibration instructions on their site for the sensor on wedge strut. Gotta make sure that reads correctly on the screen in cal mode ect... or wedge will not function properly and can cause actuators to fail prematurely. Buddy of mine found out the hard way as he didn't calibrate his after putting on new actuators. Have to have someone spin the paddle wheel so it sees speed to put wedge up but not hard to do.

• 4 weeks later...

HELP!  Twice in two months we have hit stumps (in supposedly open areas) and the pins on the actuators have sheared through the plastic eyelet on both actuators.  Since the tops are screwed / pinned on we thought we should just be able to replace the caps but vendors say no, have to replace both actuators.  Has anyone tried to just replace the caps with any success?

looks just like this

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/19514-08-update-to-auto-wedge/

3 hours ago, bgould22 said:

HELP!  Twice in two months we have hit stumps (in supposedly open areas) and the pins on the actuators have sheared through the plastic eyelet on both actuators.  Since the tops are screwed / pinned on we thought we should just be able to replace the caps but vendors say no, have to replace both actuators.  Has anyone tried to just replace the caps with any success?

looks just like this

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/19514-08-update-to-auto-wedge/

pm sent

So i found different a contact at Lenco at turns out that they will "warranty" any actuators since 2013 and factory-replace the caps for $20 each plus shipping.

On July 12, 2016 at 4:55 PM, jwl019 said:

I just replaced my wedge position sensor, I was told to get the bottom number to 30 but I cannot.

what number did you get to that it allowed you to calibrate?

2 hours ago, Kmatelic said:

I just replaced my wedge position sensor, I was told to get the bottom number to 30 but I cannot.

what number did you get to that it allowed you to calibrate?

I think it is the top number that has to get between 10-30.

Wedge Calibrate.jpg